• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Microsoft wants to bring Xbox Live to the Nintendo Switch

Microsoft wants to bring Xbox Live to the Nintendo Switch
https://gamerant.com/microsoft-xbox...gfhDi8jPl1-U2s-BhH8xqdxsAJu5bozkNpOa5rDs8MCm4

My opinion on this

This does not bode well for Xbox Scarlet that Phil Spencer unveiled at E3 last year. 1-2 years out from that and MS is wanting up indirectly push a rival console platform.
I think Xbox is doing a WiiU. As in in the red (ie operating loss per year) and a console few people actually want to purchase. MS can't move to scarlet fast enough, kind of like how Nintendo couldn't move to Switch fast enough.
The other nail in the coffin for MS this generation is they know whatever Scarlet is, Sony will be right up there with the PS5. Direct hard competition. The specs Phil Spencer has announced are not hybrid gaming. It's hardcore television only gaming.
I really think Phil Spencer wants Nintendo fans's second console to be an Xbox. He and the main MS owned development studios have been pushing things like cross play with Nintendo really hard of recent. The thing is people are not really listening and their 2nd console is actually a PS4. Mostly PS4S with the occassional PS4P.

I think this is a smart business decision by Xbox if true but find it unlikely that Nintendo will cooperate.

Even though the Switch and Xbox target different gaming audiences, I don't think Nintendo wants to promote a competitor so actively. This isn't the same as simply allowing cross-play.

But I wish Nintendo did allow Xbox Live on Switch. It's still my favorite online gaming platform on consoles. Nintendo is so behind on online. Adding party chat, at the very least, would be a huge addition. Meanwhile, Xbox would benefit from more brand recognition.

What a mad concept.

I highly doubt Nintendo would go for it, even if they took 95% of the profit and majority owned every MS IP to appear on it, I don't think Nintendo would go for it.

Nintendo are rocking right now and they don't need to advertise Xbox on their console, especially since MS has next to no Japanese presence in the console market.

It makes more sense on the MS side but little if any sense for the Nintendo side.

If MS and Nintendo collaborate, can we please get the old RAREWARE games back too?

Microsoft does not only want to bring XBOX live to Switch, but also to Android and IOS.

Given the suboptimal state of the Nintendo Online services, it would not be too bad if we can use Microsoft's services. But for me, this news feels like MS is actively looking for ways to purge its console and introduce "XBOX-as-a-service" where you can use any device to play games within the XBOX ecosystem. In addition, both XBOX1 and PS4 are nothing more than PC's in a different form factor and different OS, and Microsoft's work on "Play Anywhere", where you can play the pc game if you bought the Xbox game, also fits in this view.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
If it helps with the online for the IPs that are crossplayed with Microsoft that is good and if it brings Cuphead over even better!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I doubt it'll happen. Nobody in Japan even likes Xbox - game shops are almost completely devoid of any Xbox titles especially compared to Playstation and Nintendo. I regularly will see game shops with a more gamecube games than all xbox games put together.

I would though like to see them get the Banjo-Kazooie IP and let Retro Studios at it.

It makes a lot of sense actually for Nintendo to be on board with this. XBox on the Switch could help increase switch sales. Switch has gotten decent 3rd party support but not great and not enough to really compete with Sony. Old and/or downgraded Ports and 1st party titles aren’t enough to for the switch to have longevity in the market. If Google Stadia takes off that’s just another blow to Nintendo and their whole home/handheld gimmick.

Same thing that has plagued Nintendo for years, releasing an underpowered system that’s difficult for 3rd parties

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom