• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Microsoft is killing off the Internet Explorer brand

Djinn

and Tonic
What's the point of the name change? Why wouldn't they just name the new one Internet Explorer as well? Unless the it's reputation is permanently damaged.
A few companies have dome something like that in the past. A certain brand or product is just reviled by the general public so much that they understand there is no chance of being able to sell it again because it's too ingrained in the general public opinion that X product sucks. It will always be known as the crappy thing, or at least joked about, considered bad by a first timer etc. So they symbolically kill it and replace it with what is basically the exact same thing under a different name. That way they can claim they removed the bad item and are now giving consumers a totally new thing completely unrelated to the old one.

It's not IE that is bad. Well it is but it's codecs like Microsoft Silverlight and Adobe Flash that are the real cancer of the internet. Slow, resource heavy, memory heavy and just not that good. The MS new internet browser needs to ditch all the proprietary codecs and move to open standards like html5, h.264 and others. That will improve the internet browsing experience for everyone.

poisonedPotion

Do not drink the potion!
Happy for the news. Changing the name will break that stupid legacy barrier that keep the browser so terrible. As developer always has been a problem make sites for Internet explorer, even for the latest version.

We have been working in a live map for “Zelda a link to the past” and a way to add music is using “AudioContext” but there is no way to do the same in Internet explorer because the browser is not compatible. We refuse to do special code for it.

They are always a step behind than everyone else.

As a Halo fan myself, I don't have faith when Microsoft is naming its new Web browser and its various features from one of its best-selling gaming franchises. It seems like a scam to get people into buying into another terrible browser. I'll hop on if it's on part with Chrome or better, but I doubt it will be.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
As a Halo fan myself, I don't have faith when Microsoft is naming its new Web browser and its various features from one of its best-selling gaming franchises. It seems like a scam to get people into buying into another terrible browser. I'll hop on if it's on part with Chrome or better, but I doubt it will be.

It's free. They're not trying to make you buy a browser, it's to replace Internet Explorer. :eek: IE will still exist but only as a secondary browser for compatibility reasons. Also Spartan was simply a codename, it's now called Microsoft Edge, derived from "bleeding edge", with logo:

kQ1e7Mk.png

Not the biggest fan of the logo to be honest, it's pretty terrible, but I suppose the big blue 'E' is quite iconic and to some less tech-savvy people that means Internet. :) Picture of it in motion, Clicky!

Reviews about Edge have been alright I guess. They've been saying it's definitely a big improvement over IE, but not some huge step-up for browsers in general, it's pretty much on par with Chrome and Firefox now, and if you like either of them there's no real reason to switch. With that said it's still in Beta so that might change, might get better, or as Techradar put it "sharpen up", hurr hurr.

Also Spartan was simply a codename, it's now called Microsoft Edge, derived from "bleeding edge", with logo:

kQ1e7Mk.png

you can't even make this **** up, life is like a stupider, more ridiculous version of The Onion.

though with a name like Microsoft Edge I hope there's a myimmortal browser theme by default

Djinn

and Tonic
Oh I hope it's the edgiest browser ever. Then I can use it to make the most annoying tumblr blogs in all the land, then complain about the most arbitrary things and label them as infringing rights. Then everyone can know how that orange powerade sign on the side of the highway that just says "Drink Powerade" was the most offensive thing I saw that afternoon. All comments sections will fear the edge!

Just need to add a fedora to the top of the big E logo.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Oh I hope it's the edgiest browser ever. Then I can use it to make the most annoying tumblr blogs in all the land, then complain about the most arbitrary things and label them as infringing rights. Then everyone can know how that orange powerade sign on the side of the highway that just says "Drink Powerade" was the most offensive thing I saw that afternoon. All comments sections will fear the edge!

Just need to add a fedora to the top of the big E logo.
All of the yes.

Still better than 90's online naming schemes where everything had to have an E before it, Efood, Enetwork, Ecrap or Apple which used an I instead.
Until Apple came around and everything started with I instead.

Later edit: I suppose I should specify. It used to be everything had an e before it. After apple's iwhatever, there was suddenly no more ewhatever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom