• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroidvanias

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
Metroidvanias are probably my favourite genre.

Hollow knight is probably my favourite one, followed by symphony of the night and axiom verge.

I've been meaning to give the shantae series a try for a while now.

How do you all feel about metroidvanias?

Axiom Verge is a good one. The early Shantae games, too.

I love me a good Metroidvania, they're very easy to mess up though so I like to do as much research as I can before dropping coin on them.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Owlboy was a fun Metroidvania that I played a couple years back. And I've heard nothing but positive things about Hollow Knight and Ori.

I really enjoy Metroidvanias and wish I played them more often than I do. I have Ori on my Switch right now and have barely touched it since release. Got to get that backlog cut down.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Hollow Knight and Super Metroid are tied for #1 for me.
Axiom Verge was pretty good. I need to play Ori and Symphony of the Night.
By far my favorite genre.

Owlboy was a fun Metroidvania that I played a couple years back. And I've heard nothing but positive things about Hollow Knight and Ori.

I really enjoy Metroidvanias and wish I played them more often than I do. I have Ori on my Switch right now and have barely touched it since release. Got to get that backlog cut down.
Hollow Knight and Super Metroid are tied for #1 for me.
Axiom Verge was pretty good. I need to play Ori and Symphony of the Night.
By far my favorite genre.

Ori is so damn hard :(

MW7

My earliest experience with Metroidvania was Castlevania: Circle of the Moon on the Gameboy Advance. I bought a re-release of Symphony of the Night probably 7 years ago, and I never played Super Metroid until I bought the SNES Classic in 2017. Super Metroid is my favorite, and I think it's one of the greatest games ever made. Symphony of the Night is pretty great too - I'm just not as much into the horror aesthetic.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
not a fan of them; I liked symphony of the night, the early shantae games, and metroid zero mission was cool, but this genre just doesn't stick out to me as something I want more of, though I will at least play the rest of the metroids and probably some of the post-symphony 2d castlevania games

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
not a fan of them; I liked symphony of the night, the early shantae games, and metroid zero mission was cool, but this genre just doesn't stick out to me as something I want more of, though I will at least play the rest of the metroids and probably some of the post-symphony 2d castlevania games
Metroidvanias come in all different shapes and sizes. Shantae is much different from Metroid which is much different from Hollow Knight. It’s a very broad genre, so make sure you don’t rule out some games because you didn’t like the other ones. Good look!

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Metroidvanias come in all different shapes and sizes. Shantae is much different from Metroid which is much different from Hollow Knight. It’s a very broad genre, so make sure you don’t rule out some games because you didn’t like the other ones. Good look!
I guess I figured since symphony of the night and metroid were the prime [pun intended] examples of what the genre is about and just felt that they were good and that's it, I figured that the genre wasn't for me, maybe I might grow into it once I play rest of those games but I'll see

oh also I played kirby and the amazing mirror and that game was not a good time

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Metroidvania, in the true sense, are one of my favorite genres - Explore, unlock, and explore some more is a brilliant gameplay loop.

Unfortunately, there aren't nearly as many truly great metroidvanias as there are other genres. Hollow and Shovel Knights both qualified, and Samus Returns was OK, but the genre tends to get overwhelmed by "only OK" indie games and shovelware that usually forgets about the "explore" part too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom