• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid Wii U

Kirino

Tatakae
What would you think of a Metroid game for Wii U? What do you think it should be like? Alot of people have been talking about Metroid Prime 4. It seems like it would be similar to all the other games in the Prime series. Then again, it would be awesome to see Metroid in Wii U graphics. I'm thinking the next Metroid game should be 3D game that isn't first person like Other M. What do you think?

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I'm liking the idea of doing it as Prime 4. Personally I think they need to take the ideas for Metroid Prime 1.5 and dust them off because it was truly one of the best ideas they ever had. The game idea was an extremely brilliant one and it could make certain things more available. It'd give Nintendo the opportunity to make a better, possibly even more customizable multiplayer mode that has online capability. No I'm not saying turn it into a cheap Halo knockoff, I'm saying they need to get creative with it and make the opportunity for themselves.

A co-op mode would make the game interesting as well since it would give the player a new experience, especially for Metroid.

As for ideas for the controller, I'd say using the Wii U tablet for things like your scanner or other visors and for marking maps and such would be useful. You can also use it for a quicker switch between beams, something that may even give them the chance to expand on ideas for beams so that there are more than 4 beams. Inclusion of some melee weaponry would be nice since you'd have something that could stun and deal damage a bit.

I definitely believe Darknut_Hunter has the right idea here. Metroid Prime 4 is the way to go and incorporating multiplayer into that vision is no task too large especially for the excellent development team at Retro Studios. Following the successful inclusion of a competitive mode in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes I'd love for that idea to be expanded into the online front with cooperative opportunities instilled as well.

The scanner is the most obvious function for the Wii U GamePad but as the ZombiU demo from E3 showcased it could also provide an exciting first person perspective when shooting at dangerous denizens.

That said, I'd love for Metroid to wow us with something no one is expecting while still maintaining the same eerie atmosphere. The NES original was an open world adventure title, its Gameboy sequel became a quest to hunt down the remaining Metroids, Super Metroid expanded on Planet Zebes in new and exciting ways, Metroid Fusion proved that difficult puzzles and varied environments could be housed within a single space station, Metroid Prime shifted the series to the third dimension. With the transition to HD Nintendo is poised to wow us once more.

Metroid is the most mature flagship title Nintendo has and would look stellar in HD.

Darknut_Hunter is completely right Metroid 1.5 had some good ideas behind it that weren't used and it'd be easy for them to turn it into Metroid Prime 4. While I don't Really want another Prime a game (We've had 4 already and we all know Samus is versatile, don't turn the Prime aspect into what makes Metroid like how Cel-shading has become a defining feature in Zelda) it would undoubtedly be a game of high production value and genius, it'd just be something we've seen before. By the end of the Prime trilogy we could see that Retro was tired of the set up. If they got a hold of it again I doubt they'd be as excited to make it as they were for Metroid Prime1.

Metroid Prime is one of those moments in gaming history where something worked that no one expected to and then was fantastic. Jumping from maze-like 2D platformers to a First person shooter yet still retaining the maze-like platforming elements was incredible. But Metroid can do more than that. Other M was another game that came along with another viewpoint and aspect that hadn't been seen before in the Metroid series, the 3D third person worked well and I loved seeing Samus on my screen instead of just her arm cannon. Metroid could work just as well in third person than another Prime game on the WiiU.

However we probably will get Prime 4. If we do i want it to be close to Metroid 1.5 because i liked the idea behind it, I'd also love for Smaus's visor on the gamepad to use the panoramic view. I'd also love the TV to be a third person view so you could be ssentially playing the same game two different ways at the same time, the third person aspect with a de-cluttered main screen like Zelda OoT 3D where the item screen hold most of the character info like items and weapons etc, could afford the third person aspect some very cinematic camera angles and sequences yet it'd still be easy to play.

If not Metroid Prime 4, i'd like Metroid WiiU to use what Other M alluded to in its over the shoulder sequences, A resident evil 4, over the shoulder style shooter, that could work just as well in Metroid too. Metroid is the license that is able to change its skin and still be able to retain its core values. I just hope nintendo don't hold too hard to the Prime style of gameplay, though they'll need to after the failure of Other M; and what best way to convince the general public that 'this-game-be-good' than a game that looks and plays like one of the best in the franchise. (Zelda WiiU tactic anyone)

For story, I'd either like to see a reboot that brings in Samus's Chozo backstory and human/chozo physical elements into the forefront or a post Fusion story just to see where things go from there.

Last edited:

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
I don't know if anyone's thought of this, but what if the GamePad is used for suit customization? In Super Metroid, you had a menu where you chose what kinda beam you used, what attachment, which suit e.g basically a diagram for the different modules. You could have the same display on the GamePad, but for beams you'd choose 3 other beams (kinda like OoT,) an attachment (shotgun, lazer, long range, ect.,) heavy suits or lite suits ect... You could also use it for 1st Person, but the transition could be iffy. I think it'd be cool to use it when you roll into a tunnel via morph ball.

On the topic of the module screen, I had one last idea. Remember how you could inject phazon into your suit in MP3? What if you could enhance certain parts of the suit? (not neccesarily with phazon.) You push (or tap) a button and that part of the suit and it's enhanced. For example, enhancing the legs increases jump height, jump speed, and speed. Enhancing the cannon would increase weapon damage, rate of fire, and accuracy.

You could also have Samus do partial transformations from zero suit to Power Suit (Power Suit specifically because it's not as bulky as the Varia.) For example, you're dangling from a ledge and the suit grows over your free hand; you then proceed to shoot people on the roof before they can see you. Now, for this to work, it would probably have to be scripted. Scripted in the sense that you hit the shoot button and the game fills in the blanks (kinda like auto-jumping in Zelda or fighting in the Matrix.)

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I'm liking the idea of doing it as Prime 4. Personally I think they need to take the ideas for Metroid Prime 1.5 and dust them off because it was truly one of the best ideas they ever had. The game idea was an extremely brilliant one and it could make certain things more available. It'd give Nintendo the opportunity to make a better, possibly even more customizable multiplayer mode that has online capability. No I'm not saying turn it into a cheap Halo knockoff, I'm saying they need to get creative with it and make the opportunity for themselves.

A co-op mode would make the game interesting as well since it would give the player a new experience, especially for Metroid.

As for ideas for the controller, I'd say using the Wii U tablet for things like your scanner or other visors and for marking maps and such would be useful. You can also use it for a quicker switch between beams, something that may even give them the chance to expand on ideas for beams so that there are more than 4 beams. Inclusion of some melee weaponry would be nice since you'd have something that could stun and deal damage a bit.

I think these are all some great Ideas and I do agree that they need o bring metroid back to the excellency that was the prime series (even though i liked other M it just isn't the same). I had this idea a long time a go for how I think they should incorporate coop play into metroid. That is to make the coop play a side story to the normal game. You could play as galactic federation soldiers in this mode and if it took place possible after metroid fusion then the story line for the coop could be hunting down and trying to kill Samus for going against orders in fusion's end. This would allow the normal story to stay more singular and to keep to metroid's "one woman army" roots.

Edit: On another subject I would also like to see more zero suit sequences and stealth sequences like in Metroid: zero mission. These sequences could be really interesting if made correctly.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I really think the formula should try to follow what Other M started. Prime was a great series, but I don't think Metroid should be entirely first person. The third person perspective in a 3D world and being able to go into first person is a great method of gameplay. The only thing wrong with this in Other M was that the controls were limited to eight cardinal directions and the first person mode had us planted down. In Metroid Wii U, the analog stick should be used to move while in third person, Samus should be able to move while in first person (even if it's only like in Skyward Sword, but preferably along with the quick-steps Prime had), and the aiming (in first person) should be via the right analog stick and the shooting should be the right trigger. Something I never quite understood about Prime was the aiming system, as in why the C-stick wasn't used to aim and the R button wasn't used to shoot. That wouldn't be an issue if what I suggested were to be used in first person.

Not everyone will agree with me that the Other M style of gameplay should be used, but if it didn't have the sort of clunky features involved and movement in first person, it would play incredibly fluently and would provide rock-solid action. I really hope this is the approach Nintendo decides to take with Metroid Wii U. If it isn't, fine. I'm sure they'll come up with something good. But I honestly think that the Other M style of gameplay is the way to go, just so long as it plays out like I suggested.

Oh, and I do mean just the gameplay. I don't mind Samus having the voice and personality she did, but the script in that game was atrocious, and the monologue definitely drug on from time to time. Let the action speak for itself. Throw story in only when necessary. That's how Metroid should be.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I really think the formula should try to follow what Other M started. Prime was a great series, but I don't think Metroid should be entirely first person. The third person perspective in a 3D world and being able to go into first person is a great method of gameplay. The only thing wrong with this in Other M was that the controls were limited to eight cardinal directions and the first person mode had us planted down. In Metroid Wii U, the analog stick should be used to move while in third person, Samus should be able to move while in first person (even if it's only like in Skyward Sword, but preferably along with the quick-steps Prime had), and the aiming (in first person) should be via the right analog stick and the shooting should be the right trigger. Something I never quite understood about Prime was the aiming system, as in why the C-stick wasn't used to aim and the R button wasn't used to shoot. That wouldn't be an issue if what I suggested were to be used in first person.

Not everyone will agree with me that the Other M style of gameplay should be used, but if it didn't have the sort of clunky features involved and movement in first person, it would play incredibly fluently and would provide rock-solid action. I really hope this is the approach Nintendo decides to take with Metroid Wii U. If it isn't, fine. I'm sure they'll come up with something good. But I honestly think that the Other M style of gameplay is the way to go, just so long as it plays out like I suggested.

Oh, and I do mean just the gameplay. I don't mind Samus having the voice and personality she did, but the script in that game was atrocious, and the monologue definitely drug on from time to time. Let the action speak for itself. Throw story in only when necessary. That's how Metroid should be.

Don't get me wrong about metroid other M. I loved the more personal story and the third person controls (I really liked being able to play the game using just the wiimote). I just disliked how linear metroid other M was. This is why I much prefer the gameplay styles of Metroid Prime and Super Metroid because they were much more open for you to explore. I would be happy to have another game in the Other M style with the changes you listed as long as it was made to be much more exploration based.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Don't get me wrong about metroid other M. I loved the more personal story and the third person controls (I really liked being able to play the game using just the wiimote). I just disliked how linear metroid other M was. This is why I much prefer the gameplay styles of Metroid Prime and Super Metroid because they were much more open for you to explore. I would be happy to have another game in the Other M style with the changes you listed as long as it was made to be much more exploration based.

I do agree that some more exploration should be in Metroid Wii U. I'm just saying I think the ideas behind the controls should return.

Garo

Boy Wonder
The problem with Metroid Prime 4 is that the Prime story is over - Metroid Prime has been destroyed, and Samus fought back the corruption inside of her. As much as I'd love to see the Prime gameplay return for the next Metroid title, I think it's definitely best if we let Prime rest with the three (four if you counter Hunters) stellar titles it already has.

That said - I really don't want the Other M style to continue. It was too fast paced - it didn't quite feel like Metroid because of that. There wasn't that feeling of isolation and desolation that really makes Metroid environments stand out. It needs to be the slower walking through alien landscapes and hallways with short bursts of intense combat, rather than speeding through environments with heavily stylized combat.

I'd be content with a sidescrolling Metroid, honestly, but I'd love the Prime STYLE to return in a new story - it won't be Metroid Prime, but the first person style is the best way they've done the 3D Metroid games.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'd be content with a sidescrolling Metroid, honestly, but I'd love the Prime STYLE to return in a new story - it won't be Metroid Prime, but the first person style is the best way they've done the 3D Metroid games.

Well, there are only 5 3D titles, and only one of them didn't use strictly first person (and one of the first person ones was pretty bad). I don't think it's very fair to say first person should be used because it's what Metroid has done best in in the 3D style. If there were more third person 3D titles that weren't as good, then you'd have reasoning to say this. But, as of now, such a statement doesn't hold much water.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Well, there are only 5 3D titles, and only one of them didn't use strictly first person (and one of the first person ones was pretty bad). I don't think it's very fair to say first person should be used because it's what Metroid has done best in in the 3D style. If there were more third person 3D titles that weren't as good, then you'd have reasoning to say this. But, as of now, such a statement doesn't hold much water.

It's a good thing I didn't make that statement then.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
First off, I would like to see a Metroid Prime 4, personally. I really enjoy this series andI would love to see what Nintendo/Retro would do with this.

Second, right when I saw the title, I thought of this: Y'know how in Other M they had you switch around from aboveview to first person for some parts? They could do it so that the TV has the aboveview and the WiiU pad could have the first person. Obviously this wouldn't be the only thing it does, but still.

Fig

The Altruist
I would love to see one of my favorite video game series come out for the Wii U! I would devote my time just to play a possible new game in the Metroid series! I agree with your last statement! I would love to see something that isn't first person like Other M! I really do hope that Nintendo will make a new Metroid game in the upcoming future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom