• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid Wii U and the Future for the Metroid Series

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
The Metroid series is my second favorite series (besides the Legend of Zelda) and with two new nintendo consoles most likely their will be many new Metroid games. So what do you think is in store for future metroid games, which direction should they go, and what should the story encompass.

Here are a few of my own ideas and questions:
At e3 in the battle Mii minigame for Wii U you could control Samus Aran's ship along with make mii's turn into morph balls.http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174913p1.html
What would you think of being able to control your ship? I think it is a brilliant idea. In Metroid prime 3 you had in direct control over your ship and it to me was interesting to be able to upgrade your ship with missiles and grappling beams for different missions.

Metroid Timeline:
metroid(NES)/Metroid Zero Mission - Metroid Prime - Metroid Prime Hunters - Metroid Prime 2 - Metroid Prime 3 - metroid 2: return of samus - Super Metroid - Metroid: other M - Metrid Fusion

Based on the Metroid Timeline I can name two story lines that I would like to see. A game explaining the time between Metroid Prime 3 and Return of Samus would be interesting and it could maybe showcase extra reasons why the Galactic Federation decided to destroy all metroids. One of those reasons could be to stop the Space pirates from being able to find them easily which would then lead them back to harvesting their own through Mother Brain (aka mother brains metroids in Super Metroid).

The other would be a game sequeling metroid Fusion. In both metroid fusion and metroid Other M an offshoot of the Galactic Federation had been illegally and secretly creating metroids, zebesian space pirates and in one case Mother Brain as part of a new military plan and area. Samus in both cases stumbles upon their research and must stop their deadly and illegal research. Well what if the group of people behind both of these research ships decided to go public and overthrow the Galactic Federation. Maybe they could become the new space pirates and could again ressurect ridley, Mother brain and the other leaders of the space pirates.

Last is what style would you prefer the new games top be in. I would like one of each. I would be happy to have a 2d of a 2.5d metroid game for the 3ds. Something similar to the action feel of Metroid other M but with much more exploring like in Metroid Prime. I guess they could just finally make the long awaited metroid Dread. I would also like to see for the wii u Either a metroid prime like game, another 3rd person game like Metroid other M or something new (I really like the looks of the Battle Mii game from E3; maybe a direction similar to that.).

Well all in all I just want to know your opinion on where the series should go next.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I just starting playing Other M two days ago and I LOVE IT!!! I would love to see a good Metroid game for the Wii U. I think Metroid is Nintendo's most hard-core series and it certainly targeted to an older audience of teenagers and such so there's a lot to do with the Wii U and Metroid.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I just starting playing Other M two days ago and I LOVE IT!!! I would love to see a good Metroid game for the Wii U. I think Metroid is Nintendo's most hard-core series and it certainly targeted to an older audience of teenagers and such so there's a lot to do with the Wii U and Metroid.
Yes i really liked Metroid Other M also. It is a great game though many people bash it for being to linear and having too long of cutscenes I think that it was great because it gave more depth to samus's character in the games.

If you like d that game and also like Fps I would reccomend the Metroid Prime series or Super metroid if you really enjoy the 2d elements to the game. Just thought you might like to have a reference as to another good game in the series to play.

There hasn't been a 2-D style/side scrolling Metroid game since 2004. I really think they should do another side scrolling Metroid game and also make another 3-D Metroid game. I would rather have Metroid Prime 4 on the WiiU because I think a first person experience on the WiiU would be an unforgettable one. I would also be perfectly fine if they made another Metroid game like Other M. I really liked Other M, but to make Other M better(IMO) they should add a soundtrack, take out all of the "Where's Waldo" scenes(I don't know what else to call them), add in a bit more exploration, improve the combat system,have less cutscenes(the cutscenes weren't bad,I just wished there were less of them) and add in Kraid because Kraid is AWESOME! If they do make a Prime 4, I just hope there is more free roaming and exploration.:)

i think this all depends on if Nintendo lets Team Ninja work on future Metroid games, we all know that's why Other M wasn't that good, Team Ninja treated it like the modern Ninja Gaiden games, the movements are the same, Samus jumps the same way Ryu Hayabusa jumps, it acts like a Beat 'em up, and most of all it tries too hard to fit a story when in reality most people don't play Ninja Gaiden, or any other Team Ninja game for that matter, for the story they just want to fight ninjas, demons, ect.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I've played Metroid Prime but I got stuck on the Flaaghra boss. My friend's borrowing Prime and I'll play it more when she finishes it. I've also played the original Metroid but I can't figure out how to enter a password on the Virtual Console! I also have to get Super Metroid on VC when I get a points card.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever they do- wait, as long as they don't hand it to Team Ninja again. Practically the only good part about Other M was the story, and even that I wasn't a huge fan of. The previous Metroid games have never had such an emphasis on the story, and while it's not a bad thing that Other M did, I think they put too much focus on it, because the rest of it isn't any good at all. The linearity I really dislike: half the awesomeness of Metroid is being able to explore every area for yourself, which you couldn't do very much at all in Other M. Then there's the combat: it's always either too easy due to the auto-dodge and auto-aim, or too much of a pain because of the necessity of using the first-person mode. Another big thing with the Metroid games is the atmosphere, and they even got that wrong with Other M: while it wasn't too bad sometimes, you could always tell you were in some big space station as opposed to a huge, diverse planet. The of any real music for 80% of the game didn't help either.

Anyways, enough ranting about that. I think they should do another 2D Metroid game for the 3DS: they could make it 2.5D if they wanted, to show off the more powerful graphics on the 3DS, and with all that extra memory I'm sure they could make it really long. 2D Metroid's have never been known for their length: now could be the time to fix that. Besides, we haven't had a new 2D one since Fusion. It's high time for another one now.
As for the Wii U, another first-person, Prime-like game would be good. Thing is, while the Prime games were awesome, they all felt really similar: if we're going to get another one, they'd better make some significant changes to the overall feel of it. Not as radical as Other M of course, but some original, innovative powerups (other than just new beams) would be great.

Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe Nintendo will take the Metroid series in a completely new direction, and change everything. Over the shoulder 3rd person? Play as someone other than Samus? Who knows. I just hope they take it in a good direction this time.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
Anyways, enough ranting about that. I think they should do another 2D Metroid game for the 3DS: they could make it 2.5D if they wanted, to show off the more powerful graphics on the 3DS, and with all that extra memory I'm sure they could make it really long. 2D Metroid's have never been known for their length: now could be the time to fix that. Besides, we haven't had a new 2D one since Fusion. It's high time for another one now.
As for the Wii U, another first-person, Prime-like game would be good. Thing is, while the Prime games were awesome, they all felt really similar: if we're going to get another one, they'd better make some significant changes to the overall feel of it. Not as radical as Other M of course, but some original, innovative powerups (other than just new beams) would be great.

Beyond that, I don't know. Maybe Nintendo will take the Metroid series in a completely new direction, and change everything. Over the shoulder 3rd person? Play as someone other than Samus? Who knows. I just hope they take it in a good direction this time.
I like a lot of your ideas I think that if they do make another prime that new changes and powerups needed to be added. Maybe they can add in flying you space ship like in the Battle Mii demo. In that demo you as got to play an over the shoulder mii version of samus. After watching that I think that if made very well that I might like a game like that.

Garo

Boy Wonder
First thing I thought of when I saw the Wii U was a Metroid Prime game. Imagine holding up that Wii U controller as a scan visor and just dragging it around your screen instead of using a control stick... oh man, chills.

The problem is that I think the Prime series is over from a storyline standpoint. They could do another Metroid game in the Prime style, I just don't think it would be the Prime series, or directly related to the plot of the Prime series. Phazon is gone, after all.

The problem is that I think the Prime series is over from a storyline standpoint. They could do another Metroid game in the Prime style, I just don't think it would be the Prime series, or directly related to the plot of the Prime series. Phazon is gone, after all.

Agreed. Not to mention Retro said at E3 '06 that Corruption would be the last of the Prime series.[SUP]1[/SUP] Another game in the prime style sounds great, but would you aim with the tablet controller? I haven't tried it, but it seems like it would be somewhat awkward to use. The wii remote seems so much more suited to aiming weapons.

As for placement in the timeline, I've wanted a sequel to Metroid 2 for years. The game could showcase some crisis that calls for the destruction of all the metroids and leads into Super Metroid.

1: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_3:_Corruption

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
Agreed. Not to mention Retro said at E3 '06 that Corruption would be the last of the Prime series.[SUP]1[/SUP] Another game in the prime style sounds great, but would you aim with the tablet controller? I haven't tried it, but it seems like it would be somewhat awkward to use. The wii remote seems so much more suited to aiming weapons.

As for placement in the timeline, I've wanted a sequel to Metroid 2 for years. The game could showcase some crisis that calls for the destruction of all the metroids and leads into Super Metroid.

1: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime_3:_Corruption
Do you mean a prequel because Super metroid is a direct sequel to Metroid 2 because it is following what happens to the last baby metroid. And yes I would like to see a prequel to Metroid 2. It could be like a sequel to Prime 3 and a prequel to metroid 2. It could be something like after the Space Pirates work with phazon and work along side the defeated Dark samus was destroyed they decide to up their game by using direct attacks with infantries of Metroids. (could be real metroids or Tallon IV metroids: their technology could evolve through the game) Samus could be sent to find out how they are getting a hold of so many metroids and maybe over the course of the game slowly find the coordinates and new knowledge leading to the need to destroy the base of all metroids, SR388. This is just an idea but is an idfea I have had in the back of my head for a while now.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I do like the Metroid series as a whole, but the Prime games hold a special place in my heart - I hope they find a way to continue the Prime formula.

Now if you'll excuse me, time to go replay the entire series. 100%, let's go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom