• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid Switch; probably open world?

Zelda went open world, cant say for Mario Odyssey yet but if Nintendo say its gonna be like 64 and Sunshine then it'll probably be pretty big...

The open world genre is in full swing now with seamless exploration on large maps.

E3 2017 is very soon and there are a lot of rumours pointing towards a potential Metroid game.

Metroid is an IP that'd suit an open world. Whether that would be a good thing is down to the person.

But what do you all think of the potential of this being so?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Metroid won't be going anywhere if Nintendo has anything to say about it. Given their attitude towards the series (and the disaster that is Federation Force), don't expect anything Metroid related for quite a while.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
I think it's slightly too difficult to say whether this would be the case. If Metroid were an open-world game, I can see it, at most, doing something similar to Halo 3 ODST where the main backdrop was a decently-sized city that was ripe for exploration (although main missions before the endgame were rooted in "memories" of sorts). I think there's some potential for it, but one would be hard-pressed to see the series follow similar methods to fantasy open-world titles.

Metroid won't be going anywhere if Nintendo has anything to say about it. Given their attitude towards the series (and the disaster that is Federation Force), don't expect anything Metroid related for quite a while.
Federation Force was just a 3DS mistake (only sort of). One could bundle it into the just good enough for a 3DS game (which it was) and leave it there. The real issue here is Other M. That game was comically bad. I even wanted to finish i but ti got to a point in which the game was bugged and I could not progress. Basically a soft lock. That's when I gave up on the game. I only bought it for $5 so I'm not worried though.

Nintendo have the Prime Trilogy - Metroid done well and Other M - Metroid done bad.

Actually I could see another game more along the lines of Super Metroid being released. All of the primarily 2D metroid games have been pretty good. Much easier and cheaper to produce and there is a retro styled game revival currently happening. People would buy a good 2D metroid game. I would.

Metroid is an IP that'd suit an open world.
I honestly don't know. metroid as an IP is all about collecting loot to open more areas of the world, to collect even more loot and repeat the process. Taking speed run glitches out of the equation, this is a relatively linear progression. Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets away with being open world because all of the loot in other Zelda games (that foster thsi kind if game linearity) simply does not exist. The fact you can rush to the end of the game in 1 hour of BotW really proves this.

An open world Metroid game would have to deal with this somehow. You would have to have the loot simply not exist in the game or the loot would not be required to explore the game world. This is not impossible to do but you'd have to radically re-think what a Metroid game is at a core fundamental level. Nintendo did this with BotW. So it's not impossible.

I think it is possible for Metroid to go open world, but not in a BotW kind of way. It would be better handled in a Xenoblade Chronicles X kind of way. Samus can still collect all the loot she wants, it does not have to be scrapped from the game. None of the loot would be needed for exploration like in every other Metroid game. The loot would be needed to complete world objectives and quests (Like how it was to fill out the main objective in every map hexagon in XCX). This would keep the loot hunting aspect of Metroid alive but in a way that does not prevent exploration anywhere from the start of the game.

Federation Force was just a 3DS mistake (only sort of). One could bundle it into the just good enough for a 3DS game (which it was) and leave it there. The real issue here is Other M. That game was comically bad. I even wanted to finish i but ti got to a point in which the game was bugged and I could not progress. Basically a soft lock. That's when I gave up on the game. I only bought it for $5 so I'm not worried though.

Nintendo have the Prime Trilogy - Metroid done well and Other M - Metroid done bad.

Actually I could see another game more along the lines of Super Metroid being released. All of the primarily 2D metroid games have been pretty good. Much easier and cheaper to produce and there is a retro styled game revival currently happening. People would buy a good 2D metroid game. I would.

I honestly don't know. metroid as an IP is all about collecting loot to open more areas of the world, to collect even more loot and repeat the process. Taking speed run glitches out of the equation, this is a relatively linear progression. Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets away with being open world because all of the loot in other Zelda games (that foster thsi kind if game linearity) simply does not exist. The fact you can rush to the end of the game in 1 hour of BotW really proves this.

An open world Metroid game would have to deal with this somehow. You would have to have the loot simply not exist in the game or the loot would not be required to explore the game world. This is not impossible to do but you'd have to radically re-think what a Metroid game is at a core fundamental level. Nintendo did this with BotW. So it's not impossible.

I think it is possible for Metroid to go open world, but not in a BotW kind of way. It would be better handled in a Xenoblade Chronicles X kind of way. Samus can still collect all the loot she wants, it does not have to be scrapped from the game. None of the loot would be needed for exploration like in every other Metroid game. The loot would be needed to complete world objectives and quests (Like how it was to fill out the main objective in every map hexagon in XCX). This would keep the loot hunting aspect of Metroid alive but in a way that does not prevent exploration anywhere from the start of the game.

I just think of Prime with no loading/transition screens

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Not fully. But thats what the elevator scenes were.
Even If you took away those elevator scenes.... That still does not equate to an "open world" game though.

So... Basically. You want Metroid Prime.... With no elevator scenes? I mean, even Open World games have loading screens. The biggest example is even in BotW with the different shrines, where there is a loading screen when you go down the elevator down.

Haha. But really, I never had a problem with the elevator scenes, they were never jarring and well represented the franchise.

But that still doesn't make a Metroid game "open world". Just because the game doesn't hold your hand and tell you where to go(and you can go to some areas were you cannot Do anything or find secrets early) doesn't mean it's open world. Metroidvania's(even in 3D form) are a completely and utterly different genre of games.

Even If you took away those elevator scenes.... That still does not equate to an "open world" game though.

So... Basically. You want Metroid Prime.... With no elevator scenes?

Haha. Really, I never had a problem with the elevator scenes, they were never jarring and well represented the franchise.

But that still doesn't make a Metroid game "open world". Just because the game doesn't hold your hand and tell you where to go(and you can go to some areas were you cannot Do anything or find secrets early) doesn't mean it's open world. Metroidvania's(even in 3D form) are a completely and utterly different genre of games.

I dont have a problem with the elevators. Youve not got the right idea.

I was replying to @the8thark who was giving his idea on what he would imagine an open world game was.

My reply was following on his train of thought with what i'd inagine an open world metroid to be. Open world games, to me, are seamless with no loading while traversing. Knowing those elevator scenes are loading screens, and Prime feeling pretty free and open to me anyway while roaming, my point simply was Prime had a great world that felt open to me and an open Metroid game wouldnt need to rely on loading screens like those.

I was simply stating Prime was fine and if open world games dont load while traversing then there wouldnt be those elevator scenes.

I never said i had a problem with anything. In fact, the elevator scenes were some of my favourite parts because i could actually see Samus.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Why not opin walrd? Everything else is. It's the go to thing to do when you haven't the slightest clue wtf you're doing.

Metroid has always been open world in a sense anyway. The Metroidvania style of open world is just a more structured open world level design.

IMO Metroid could stand to have its worlds more open, but it shouldn't lose that structured maze like design that is its namesake.

It looks like this style of Metroidvania level design that classics like Deus Ex and System Shock took to 11 seems to be an emerging trend we can look forward to in more games I think. I approve of this approach, because it allows for tighter designed games with lower production costs without sacrificing production values. But it's not like I trust developers to do it right. I like Prey, sure. But it's a poor mans System Shock.

Not every game needs to be an Opin Walrd!!!!!11eeeeeleven Extravaganza. Open world games are fast becoming the new call of dooty/tears of bore clone.

I just think of Prime with no loading/transition screens
Prime really didn't have any loading/transition screens though.
It had them everywhere, all over the game, just the player often didn't notice it. When you are in a room, all the surrounding rooms are loading up. Have you ever raced through a room, shot the next room's door and it didn't open right away? That's you racing to the next room before it loaded up properly so the door stayed shut till that next room was loaded up properly.

That's exactly why the game was small room based so only a few rooms had to be loaded up ay any one time.

Metroid has always been open world in a sense anyway.
Not really at all. The metroid games are just linear loot hunts. Only the glitchy speed runners broke the game enough so you could travel anywhere on the map, whenever you wanted to.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Not really at all. The metroid games are just linear loot hunts. Only the glitchy speed runners broke the game enough so you could travel anywhere on the map, whenever you wanted to.

Well it's open in the sense that by the end you can go anywhere at anytime and do anything the game allows you to. The core of the Metroid games is in progressively unlocking more and more of the maze. So the world isn't seamless and none of it is open from the start.

But to turn metroid into a seamless open world with no walls would be contrary to its core nature. Fusion caught flack for preventing players from returning to previous areas after progressing past certain points. That's a regressive design choice. I don't think fans would appreciate the exact opposite any better.

It would help to take the locks off the world from the start, however. Allow players more opportunities to explore from the get-go and maybe even allow them to decide which goals to tackle first. This would entail reworking or outright ditching the cycle of Find Item > Use New Item to Open New Area that's become awfully stale. The series' various developers have been having a hard time coming up with new excuses for samus to lose all her suit powers in the beginning anyway. Might as well just let her keep them.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
If the future of Zelda looks more like Breath of the Wild, then Nintendo should definitely not waste the formula 3D Zelda games have been following since Ocarina of Time, and let Metroid adopt it.

Metroid shouldn't be a seamless giant open world. There have always been limitations on where you can go and what you can do based on the abilities you currently possess. But there was still a major sense of exploration and freedom. This isn't any different from recent Zelda titles and other action adventure games like Tomb Raider and Batman: Arkham City.

I honestly don't care for first-person Metroid going forward. I just don't think it suits the series given the amount of platforming involved. Metroid should feel more like an action game than a first-person shooter, something similar to Vanquish and Dead Space. Shooting would still work just as good, but now you can enjoy Samus' movements and take in a lot more of the world around you.

Well it's open in the sense that by the end you can go anywhere at anytime and do anything the game allows you to.
That's a totally different way of thinking of open world games. That's not travel anywhere you want at the begin of the game like BotW and XCX.

But to turn metroid into a seamless open world with no walls would be contrary to its core nature.
So? Changing thing up might just be a good thing. BotW at it's core is contrary to every other Zelda game before it and the end result, though not universally loved, is a step in the right direction. At think point the Metroid games are a little stale and no one wants the same thnig again because they are too worried that another Other M or Federation Force will be made. Totally change the formula and the public might just be more accepting to it. If it's done well that is.

Fusion caught flack for preventing players from returning to previous areas after progressing past certain points. That's a regressive design choice. I don't think fans would appreciate the exact opposite any better.
That's quite linear and I'm not sure how this applies to tlak of an open wqorld Metroid game. Please explain how this applies to the context of a future open world Metroid game.

It would help to take the locks off the world from the start, however. Allow players more opportunities to explore from the get-go and maybe even allow them to decide which goals to tackle first. This would entail reworking or outright ditching the cycle of Find Item > Use New Item to Open New Area that's become awfully stale. The series' various developers have been having a hard time coming up with new excuses for samus to lose all her suit powers in the beginning anyway. Might as well just let her keep them.
Ditching that might just the way to go. WHo says Samus has to start with a fully powered up suit and then lose it 5 minutes into the game. Maybe Samus does not start with a suit and has to find the parts or she starts with a basic suit. Who knows. There are many different ways to think outside the box when considering this.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
So? Changing thing up might just be a good thing. BotW at it's core is contrary to every other Zelda game before it and the end result, though not universally loved, is a step in the right direction. At think point the Metroid games are a little stale and no one wants the same thnig again because they are too worried that another Other M or Federation Force will be made. Totally change the formula and the public might just be more accepting to it. If it's done well that is.

BotW at it's core was just like the original Legend of Zelda... And no, nobody thinks Metroid is stale when there hasn't been a proper game in years. There's absolutely no reason for Metroid to copy what Breath of the Wild did and compete with a fellow IP. Let Zelda be Zelda and Metroid be Metroid. There's absolutely no need for pointless change.

Just like Breath of the Wild. It may have gone back to its roots, and for the better too, but other aspects that made the franchise great to many are also lacking for the sake of "changing the conventions" and while most people still enjoy the game as a whole, more and more people tend to share the sentiment that it is indeed lacking some of the charm and concepts that brought them to the series to begin with.

Nintendo's next goal shouldn't be how to be more like Breath of the Wild in the future, but more so, how can they implement some of those missed conventions into a massive and fully explorable world like Breath of the Wild.

It's the same for Metroid. As long as it continues to have top notch game design, great gameplay, and stays true to itself, there's no need for it to try and bank off the success of a different franchise. Nobody wants Metroid to return as something it's not, nor does that mean we don't want to see the series evolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom