• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid Post Fusion Installment?

Metroid Fusion is the last game in the Metroid timeline and the one which radically changes Samus Aran's appearance and survival skills. The change to her suit was a huge move on Sakamoto's part to re-model Samus's powersuit; however, with Fusion being on the GBA the full force of her new suit during gameplay wasn't really fully felt or even realised because of the limited power of the GBA (thats not to say the graphics were awful). I've heard opinions from both sides from lovers and haters of the new look Samus. I personally think its quite snazzy... but after unlocking the Fusion Suit to play in after completing Metroid Prime 1 as part of the Collector's edition trilogy release I now think it looks rather hideous. Perhaps its a design that doesn't make the jump into 3D from the concept art...

So, since playing Fusion and then seeing the Fusion Suit in Prime and thinking it looked hideous I have wondered if we would ever see a Metroid game following Fusion where Samus is still donning the Fusion suit. Other M placed itself after Super Metroid and before Fusion, meaning Samus would of course be wearing the Varia Suit. But I don't know if this was Sakamoto trying to outdo himself and retro by channeling and continuing the story of his greatest achievement in Super Metroid, or if he didn't want to play with Fusion Suit Samus...

So question is, how many of you would like to see the Fusion Suit return in what would be a more graphically enhanced experience considering the current gen 3DS and soon to be released WiiU all offer some powerful hardware, or would you prefer this look retconned entirely if the Metroid timeline were to move forward beyond Fusion?
samus%u00252Bfusion.jpg Fusion_prime.jpg

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I truly don't mind either way. To me, personally, the Fusion Suit is just like any other suit. Maybe if they do make a post-Fusion game, the plot could be how Samus can possibly get out of the Fusion Suit.

I think Metroid Other M was made so we would not only better understand Samus but also the game Fusion, not because he didn't want to mess with the suit...

I'd love to see what happens after Fusion, and I think that's what most Metroid fans are waiting for.

I think Metroid Other M was made so we would not only better understand Samus but also the game Fusion, not because he didn't want to mess with the suit...

I'd love to see what happens after Fusion, and I think that's what most Metroid fans are waiting for.

I'd love for Metroid to go beyond Fusion too, maybe the suit will look better when it isn't an added-on Metroid Prime special feature. I really wish Sakamoto hadn't done Other M though, I'm all for knowing Samus better but he screwed it up majorly. There's that and coupled wit the fact Samus has been speacking for years only now she has a voice actor so people take notice...

The long awaited Metroid: Dread would be the perfect breeding ground for the return of the fusion suit. This would suit a new 2D installment for the 3DS. I'm truly curious to see what new hcallenges face samus on the timeline with the original Metroid threat now extinguished.

The long awaited Metroid: Dread would be the perfect breeding ground for the return of the fusion suit. This would suit a new 2D installment for the 3DS. I'm truly curious to see what new hcallenges face samus on the timeline with the original Metroid threat now extinguished.

They'll come back ;) they always do because Sakamoto can't move on.
lol Dread... at some point the powers behind Metroid will make a Metroid game and call it Dread for the hell of it just to say they made it. It would be a fitting title to push the series forward though. I also wonder if we'll ever see a cel-shaded Metroid. I can see a 3d Fusion Suit outing being cel-shaded just to fit its style better into the world, and its probably the only road Sakamoto didn't go down in Other M so i'm thinking he will at some point. Like Zelda, I wish Metroid games had a quicker turn around time. But unlike Zelda i wish its progenitor was NOT involved.

They'll come back ;) they always do because Sakamoto can't move on.
lol Dread... at some point the powers behind Metroid will make a Metroid game and call it Dread for the hell of it just to say they made it. It would be a fitting title to push the series forward though. I also wonder if we'll ever see a cel-shaded Metroid. I can see a 3d Fusion Suit outing being cel-shaded just to fit its style better into the world, and its probably the only road Sakamoto didn't go down in Other M so i'm thinking he will at some point. Like Zelda, I wish Metroid games had a quicker turn around time. But unlike Zelda i wish its progenitor was NOT involved.

Yes but wouldn't that create a timeline paradox? Ah, screw it, next thing you know the Galactic Federation completely reverses itself and starts making Metroids to kill Samus perceiving her to be a grave danger.

And yes, "Dread" would certainly be a fitting subtitle. Post apocalyptic world, anyone?

I highly doubt we'll see cel-shaded graphics down the road because Metroid has always been a grittier franchise and in terms of portrayal of humans at least a more realistic one.

Yes but wouldn't that create a timeline paradox? Ah, screw it, next thing you know the Galactic Federation completely reverses itself and starts making Metroids to kill Samus perceiving her to be a grave danger.

And yes, "Dread" would certainly be a fitting subtitle. Post apocalyptic world, anyone?

I highly doubt we'll see cel-shaded graphics down the road because Metroid has always been a grittier franchise and in terms of portrayal of humans at least a more realistic one.

Metroid is full of timeline BS already, Sakamoto doesn't consider the Prime games to be Canon and Other M's story was so half-finished and non-sensical that the events within it seriously bugger up a lot of what Fusion has to say for itself. And I wouldn't be surprised that we'd see the kind of story you described, it isn't half bad actually but I would hate seeing more of the Gf, i hated that they were just stereotypical and boring military types screwing around that in the end meant nothing. But maybe being a femme gives me a natural distaste for burly men in tacky suits with hard *** underdeveloped attitudes toting as many guns as they can, i'd rather Samus take on some aliens.

A post apocalyptic world would be wonderful for Samus, though I'd like something other than another Other M type of game and an DPS, i'd like something more traditionally third person. Perhaps using a Resident evil 4 type of gameplay format on the Wii-U with the tablet acting like an FPS hub, essentially having the 'Prime' aspect of the game in the tablet while seeing the same space and Samus in 3rd person on the tv and the panorama view would be excellent for that.

Graphics though, i could see Metroid going Cel-shaded, especially when i think about the artwork to Zero Mission and the slideshow cutscenes of Fusion, i can see it working but i do agree that Metroid needs to be the title that keeps its grittiness. I've been wanting Nintendo to push Metroid harder for a long time. because when they do push it we get games like Super Metroid and Prime. So here's hoping for another big push on the Wii-u =]

octorok74

TETTAC
I'd like to see a return of the fusion suit. I agree with you Spirit that it didn't look great in Prime, but I felt that way because Prime didn't have those slime things. The fusion suit was cool and I feel the story behind it is awesome. Obviously, I don't think anyone wants Fusion remade to a console, but I could use more info on what happened after the game exactly. Plus, I just really want to use the shinespark on a console, since my Wii refuses to read any Other M games.

I didn't know that Sakamoto doesn't consider the Prime trilogy canon. Those are some of the best games in the series and it has a really in depth story. This upsets me.

I'd like to see a return of the fusion suit. I agree with you Spirit that it didn't look great in Prime, but I felt that way because Prime didn't have those slime things. The fusion suit was cool and I feel the story behind it is awesome. Obviously, I don't think anyone wants Fusion remade to a console, but I could use more info on what happened after the game exactly. Plus, I just really want to use the shinespark on a console, since my Wii refuses to read any Other M games.

I didn't know that Sakamoto doesn't consider the Prime trilogy canon. Those are some of the best games in the series and it has a really in depth story. This upsets me.

He REALLY hates them, he'd learn their route to work, and hire a limo to pick him as they took their lunch break and ride off into the distance with his nose in the air. The reason Other M exists and the reason why the game so closely relates to Super Metroid (his finest hour) is to 'remind' people of why metroid is great, which is why Other M used the controller on its side like nes/snes controller and ignored the nunchuck, and why very little time and effort was given to the first person mode and scanning, he wanted Super Metorid part 2, the original the best and HIS. He gets really defensive about it too lol. 'they (prime) didn't happen' could almost be a catchphrase.

Metroid is full of timeline BS already, Sakamoto doesn't consider the Prime games to be Canon and Other M's story was so half-finished and non-sensical that the events within it seriously bugger up a lot of what Fusion has to say for itself. And I wouldn't be surprised that we'd see the kind of story you described, it isn't half bad actually but I would hate seeing more of the Gf, i hated that they were just stereotypical and boring military types screwing around that in the end meant nothing. But maybe being a femme gives me a natural distaste for burly men in tacky suits with hard *** underdeveloped attitudes toting as many guns as they can, i'd rather Samus take on some aliens.

A post apocalyptic world would be wonderful for Samus, though I'd like something other than another Other M type of game and an DPS, i'd like something more traditionally third person. Perhaps using a Resident evil 4 type of gameplay format on the Wii-U with the tablet acting like an FPS hub, essentially having the 'Prime' aspect of the game in the tablet while seeing the same space and Samus in 3rd person on the tv and the panorama view would be excellent for that.

Graphics though, i could see Metroid going Cel-shaded, especially when i think about the artwork to Zero Mission and the slideshow cutscenes of Fusion, i can see it working but i do agree that Metroid needs to be the title that keeps its grittiness. I've been wanting Nintendo to push Metroid harder for a long time. because when they do push it we get games like Super Metroid and Prime. So here's hoping for another big push on the Wii-u =]

Actually Sakamoto only says that the Prime games are more side adventures of Samus Aran, a different look of the universe of Metroid. He doesn't hate them, just doesn't care as much as the fans do for it doesn't affect the main plot. And he is right in a way for the Prime Games are self-contained and doesn't add anything important to the whole Metroid storyline. Stuff like Phazon or Meta-Ridley are never mentioned in Super Metroid or any of the future games despite having world-apocalyptic threats. You can play all the Metroid games except the Primes and won't miss anything important. But that doesn't mean Metroid Prime games are bad or non-canon, they are more like the Four Sword series in the Legend of Zelda only better and more accessible to gamers.

That said, I want the future Metroid game to be based around Samus's life as an outlaw thanks to Fusion and the corruption within the Galactic Federation. The whole theme would be about redemption and restoring Samus's reputation for the Galactic Federation would most likely try to smear her into a villain for blowing up their base (as well as a planet). I hope that Samus would meet old friends and foes as well as new characters and bosses we have not seen or even imagined. Personally, I would prefer that a 3-person or Other M style for the new game as there is high potential of where it can go.

Last edited:
Ah, the infamous "Metroid Dread".
Just another Metroid game, one that takes place AFTER Fusion, would be nice. Heck, last year was Metroid's chance to celebrate but Nintendo spent most of the time with Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom