• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid: Other M

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Yes I'm very excited for this game. I like how they combined the 2D and 3D gameplay. I am also a big fan of Metroid Fusion and to know that this game takes place before it is good to know. I hope to one day be able to actually get Super Metroid so I could understand more of Other M as I'm sure there will be many throwbacks to it. I am a long time Metroid fan but sadly won't play Other M in a long time. I plan to play all the games in order which is Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, Super Metroid, Metroid Other M, and Metroid Fusion. As you can see I purposely left out Metroid 2 the Return of Samus. The reason why is because I don't own it or have any access of getting it. But overall I'm really geeked for this game and can't wait to find out more of Samus's past and to learn more about Adam Malkovich.

Mute

一員
I'm not exactly excited for it, but I am looking forward to it. The reason I'm not excited is because a lot of the previews that I've seen is nothing but a bunch of story and cut scenes. Don't get me wrong, a story is nice and welcome, I just hope they don't throw in a cut scene every 5 minutes or have a lot that last more than 10 minutes. The reason I like Metroid has absolutely nothing to do with the story, so if too much is added in, I might not like it as much as the other games.

However, I trust Team Ninja, maybe more than I should since I've hardly played any of their games. But I guess we'll see if my opinion changes or not when I play the game.

A

Abyss Master

Not to be a party-pooper but I frown at anyone who burst into tears at the end of Super Metroid.

That said, I have mixed feelings about this game. I like Metroid, and I like how the game seems to play. Auto-targeting is a bit of a stretch but it looks fluent. However, I have a bad feeling that I'm going to find plenty of things to loathe about the game's story, first and foremost Samus' transformation into whiny-woman-with-serious-mental-issues. I don't care how good Super Metroid was, that this game is a sequel has NOTHING TO SAY. There's more than ten years between the two games. Any relation they have is purely story-related, and I for one did not care for Super Metroid's story.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Not to be a party-pooper but I frown at anyone who burst into tears at the end of Super Metroid.

That said, I have mixed feelings about this game. I like Metroid, and I like how the game seems to play. Auto-targeting is a bit of a stretch but it looks fluent. However, I have a bad feeling that I'm going to find plenty of things to loathe about the game's story, first and foremost Samus' transformation into whiny-woman-with-serious-mental-issues. I don't care how good Super Metroid was, that this game is a sequel has NOTHING TO SAY. There's more than ten years between the two games. Any relation they have is purely story-related, and I for one did not care for Super Metroid's story.
I think the point of Other M's story is that the stories for the other games haven't really been told yet. Few of the Metroid Games really had much of a story, so I think this is what this game is trying to achieve. No one's saying that it was story that made Super Metroid great; in fact, it may have been the absence of one that made it great. This game may end up telling us more about Samus in general, but there's no way of knowing yet whether what we will see is what we wanted.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!!! I just pre ordered Metroid Other M and Halo Reach!

Oh yeah here's the review from IGN

The review and reception thus far has made me quite happy. Hearing the emphasis on story and graphics is an extremely nice change of pace for a Nintendo game, and I can hardly wait to experience if for myself. I'm really eager to see how the controls work too, even though there seems to be some complaints on that issue. I still welcome it with arms wide open though, as it's something that's never been done before.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'll trust IGN like I always do and so far they haven't lied. I'm still looking forward to this game very much but I still need to see what the controls are like. So far the only problem with the game is it has some clunky controls but everything else seems to be very good.

Last edited:

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
It's getting mixed reviews. Pretty much everywhere between 9/10 (WorthPlaying) and 2/5 (G4). http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-other-m/critic-reviews

My review copy should be here hopefully tomorrow.

That G4 review was probably the single angriest review I have ever heard in my entire life. I'm starting to become genuinely concerned, now. The G4 review made it sound like Team Ninja got away with their usual sexist shenanigans, which really worries me, because Samus had always been great because she had some degree of integrity.

I will play the game, and I've already pre-ordered it. I hope it's not as much a problem as some are saying it is. I'll have to play the game for myself and see.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
The review and reception thus far has made me quite happy.

Same here. It's pretty much lining up with how I imagined it would shape up to be after first impressions from it's first playable demos. The only thing that sounds disappointing to me is the length. A 10 hour experience (as said by IGN) is a bit short after the many more hours poured into the Prime series. Although, I'm sure as a die-hard Metroid fan I would get a LOT more than 10 hours out of it, overall I was hoping for a 25 hour experience at least. I doubt this will dampen my overall enjoyment though, especially when you think about beating the first three games under 2 hours for the best endings.

I'm putting less and less stock in G4/XPlay's reviews lately. The video review for Metroid is particularly bad. Two minutes of compaining that Samus is a wuss, followed by some brief hits about some control problems? How about the mechanics of combat or exploration? Game length and difficulty? Graphics? Sound? Nope. I don't mind if a game franchise I like gets a bad review, but G4 seems to be anti-Nintendo for no reason and extremely pro-shooters in the past year. They lap it up for anything Halo or Modern Warfare and call all else junk. It was amusing to watch them go weak-kneed-geek-fanboy at E3 for Nintendo's offerings and then turn around on their show and try to reclaim their "too cool for you" composure and slag the company like a junior high kid who's trying to be cool after embarassing themselves in front of their classmates.

Regardless of what any critic says, I'm buying the game -- full-pop, day it comes out -- and will enjoy at my own leisure.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I'm putting less and less stock in G4/XPlay's reviews lately. The video review for Metroid is particularly bad. Two minutes of compaining that Samus is a wuss, followed by some brief hits about some control problems? How about the mechanics of combat or exploration? Game length and difficulty? Graphics? Sound? Nope. I don't mind if a game franchise I like gets a bad review, but G4 seems to be anti-Nintendo for no reason and extremely pro-shooters in the past year. They lap it up for anything Halo or Modern Warfare and call all else junk. It was amusing to watch them go weak-kneed-geek-fanboy at E3 for Nintendo's offerings and then turn around on their show and try to reclaim their "too cool for you" composure and slag the company like a junior high kid who's trying to be cool after embarassing themselves in front of their classmates.
That's a good point. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen much coverage of or praise for Nintendo coming from G4 as of late.

i'm definately going to get it. i've never listened to reviews because i've liked a lot of games that got low scores. the only reviews i even have access to is game informer's and i feel that they are pretty biased. if it's getting good reviews mostly everywhere though, i'm certainly gonna get this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom