• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Metroid Dread

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
literally everyone is playing this, why does the search feature not show a thread? Apologies if there is one I literally don't see it anywhere

this video showed up in my recommended and is a good starting point for anyone who's already beaten it and looking to master/dismantle it

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I 100%ed it last night, and it’s legitimately one of my new favorite Metroid games, if not my absolute favorite. It’s like if Samus Returns had a lot more polish and a progression structure that doesn’t suck.

There are a handful of issues I have with it. For example it reuses a handful of boss fights quite a bit, which is never a good thing. There are also a few boss attacks that are nearly impossible to avoid and result in you getting hit multiple times, racking up a ton of unnecessary damage.

EMMIs are also a little iffy. They were decently intimidating at first, but they each only patrol a tiny area, and despite them killing you in a single hit, you’re never really punished for getting caught since you respawn just in front of the door to the EMMI zone. They end up becoming more annoying than anything else. Still, it’s not a bad mechanic, just one that I think could’ve been implemented a little better.

Aside from those incredibly minor points, everything here is just… perfect. The atmosphere, the level design, the controls, the artstyle, the abilities, the secrets, the story, it’s all Nintendo at its absolute best. 11/10

Mikey the Moblin

So far dread has felt more metroidvania than typical Metroid has. There's a lot of different power ups to fit a lot of different key shaped holes, and I love that feeling of speculating how I'll be able to access a certain area or destroy a certain block. A lot of the power ups have been unique spins or completely new from what I've seen before as well so that's awesome. They really made Metroid feel fresh so far, hoping it sticks

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Everything I was expecting and hoping for in a brand new 2D Metroid game. I agree with Plinko that some of the boss fights (specifically a certain enemy) shouldn't have been reused as much and that the EMMIs grow to be annoying, however I'm not sure what they mean about the unavoidable boss attacks. The long loading screens in between regions turned me off at first, but I grew more used to them over time. And that about sums up every criticism I had with the game. The developers did an amazing job of making it feel truly like a classic Metroid game, from the way collectibles are hidden to purposefully including sequence breaks. Combine that all with the beautiful visuals and this will certainly be seen as a Switch classic and hopefully even breathe new life into the franchise.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I'm not sure what they mean about the unavoidable boss attacks.
The cross bomb boss in particular has his charge attack, and if you don’t jump over him just right he’ll pin you against the wall and continuously hit you stacking up loads of damage while preventing you from doing anything.

there are others, that’s just the one I remember of the top of my head

The cross bomb boss in particular has his charge attack, and if you don’t jump over him just right he’ll pin you against the wall and continuously hit you stacking up loads of damage while preventing you from doing anything.

there are others, that’s just the one I remember of the top of my head
Really? Hmm. I found him the easiest in the game. He's the only boss I beat on my first try.

Anyway, I beat Dread tonight. It was really damn good, honestly. It felt like a true comeback of the series, and I love the tough but fair difficulty. Bosses overall are quite possibly the most well designed from a gameplay standpoint that the series has ever seen, and I love the return of non-linearity seen in Super Metroid that games like Fusion lacked(despite it being a good game).

I would still put Super over it due to preferring the world design and the physics(especially where the wall jump is concerned), not to mention the soundtrack in Dread, while having a few good ones like the Corpius and Burenia themes, pales in comparison to the Super Metroid and Prime 1 OSTs. Despite that though, Dread is either second or third place(it's competing with Prime 1 for second place, IMO).

I will say that while the bosses are probably the best overall, I wish that some of them weren't reused so often. By the time I fought another different coloured reskin of the Chozo Soldier after the final E.M.M.I, I nearly rolled my eyes. Good boss, sure, but you didn't have to bring it back so many ****ing times, good lord. There definitely could've been some new bosses thrown in the mix to replace atleast some of the Chozo refights. None of these complaints are dealbreakers, though. Anyone on the fence that played and loved another Metroid game at one point in their life needs to play it.

Oh, and E.M.M.IS are fun, too. you really had to think on your toes to get by some of the later ones.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I love this game. The pacing is well done, the controls are good (though they take getting used to) and it's extremely satisfying to take down bosses.

After the initial trailer from E3 this year, I completely ignored every piece of news that they revealed, because I wanted to go in as blind as possible, and I'm very glad I did.

My first run took a little over eight hours, then I went back and collected all the items I missed, which took another three hours. Afterwards, I wanted to beat the game under four hours in Normal mode to unlock the extra artwork I missed. My second run took 3 hours and 58 minutes, so I barely made it in time.

I'm yet to start my third run, but I'm aiming for under four hours in Hard mode this time, to unlock the final pieces of artwork. Since the checkpoints are so forgiving, I haven't found myself ever really getting frustrated at the game, which I'm thankful for.

Mikey the Moblin

I reached the Big Plot Twist in the story and have some thoughts

I love metroidvanias conceptually. I love exploring and dungeon crawling, I love puzzles and the rewarding progression that the genre tends to bring

however

metroid as a metroidvania always frustrates me because it's among the more labyrinthine games in the genre when it comes to level design. This problem remains in dread as half the time I have no idea where to go, where I've been, or what I need to do. The map is a lot more in-depth than old school metroid which ironically makes it harder because there's a lot of clutter and I'm not sure where I actually haven't been yet or where was just a couple pixels not getting filled in by my running around. I felt like hollow knight really managed to solve this issue, I never felt lost in that game. Might do some analysis to figure out what differences in level design cause it later

As far as EMMIs, I like them up until the point where you can interact with them. When you have to run from them they're terrifying and each one being a bit scarier than the last is helpful. However, I don't like how they'll randomly just jump onto the ceiling when you're sticking up there invisible, it feels like the one form of counterplay you have against them isn't even reliable. Basically the AI of the EMMI needs to be more transparent imo. When you finally can attack them, it's just really frustrating because of how many attempts it takes to find the right area to shoot them down and then half the time you miss and they just insta kill you because countering is so hard and I know this is borderline rantlike but this is the one thing I hate about EMMIs, actually killing them becomes more frustrating than difficult or scary and that's not great. Other than the seven or w/e times that happens in the game, thumbs up.

The powerups are great. The story is great. The bosses are great, but a bit too hard. Metroid in general is a bit too hard though, so it's kind of whatever. I think the environments are stellar, there's a lot of background eye candy and it does a good job of feeling like 3D space, especially the indoor areas. Dread still has the problem of "oh no, I think I'm softlocked" + "there's no way a AAA metroidvania has a softlock, I'm just an idiot" which just makes me hate myself for nintendo making a game that requires an internet connection to beat, which I don't like.

Overall Metroid Dread so far is feeling like an instant classic in the 2D metroid lineup, with a couple classic flaws to help it hit home

Kirino

Tatakae
I'm definitely enjoying it so far, and it's already shaping up to be one of my favorites. Think I'm nearing the end, but I plan to 100% it before I get there, which is actually a first for me. There's a lot that strikes me, especially the ways in which it's been modernized: it seems pretty cinematic for a 2D Metroid, and in a good way, as the cutscenes and action sequences really contribute to the atmosphere. I was also surprised to see voice acting and some actual characters. As far as quality of life improvements go, the ability to see hidden items on the map is a godsend, and so are checkpoints, especially before the EMMI zones.

It is pretty difficult, the bosses especially, but I mostly prefer that. I've had a couple of issues getting lost, mainly after getting a new powerup and needing to backtrack, but it hasn't been too bad. The EMMIs encounters mostly succeed in being intense and heart-racing, although, like Mikey said, their movements patterns sometimes felt cheap. One of the other annoying things was the way the map fills up in small pieces, not so much because it's confusing, but because I always feel the need to explore it fully, and this makes that more annoying. Likewise, loading times between regions could be long.

Overall, though, it's great. The open-ended exploration is especially fun, and it was really satisfying to go back and pick up collectibles you missed after getting some upgrades. Powerups are great, boss fights are well-designed, and it just feels fun and smooth to play.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Finished Metroid: Dread and I've been seeing a lot of people claiming it's the best 2D entry in the series and I honestly don't really agree with that. I've waited just as long as everyone else for this game and I absolutely loved my time with it as well, but it's always been hard for me to ever put any Metroid game above another, let alone one above all the rest.

They've all been truly amazing for different reasons. Take Metroid: Fusion for instance, which was often criticized for its more linear design compared to the likes of Super Metroid. It's a criticism I never truly understood as the game was designed around the fact that it's a handheld game, which was true about the previous handheld game Return of Samus.

Fusion still employed the same masterful design philosophies of Metroids past despite its more bite sized approach to progression and exploration, but what ultimately set it apart from previous entries was just how frequently it subverted returning player's expectations, which kept its design and ideas feeling fresh rather than reused or rehashed.

A problem Zero Mission couldn't really avoid after Super Metroid more or less already remade the original Metroid despite also acting like a sequel. Sort of like what A Link Between Worlds is to A Link to the Past. Because of this, I've often struggled to call one game better than the other when they both pretty much get the same idea across very well.

This leaves us with Samus Returns, Mercury Steam's first foray with the Metroid series which I enjoyed very much for how it modernized the classic Metroid formula regardless of the natural limitations put in place by being a remake. It offered us a glimpse of what a true brand new sequel could achieve.

Enter Metroid: Dread. Mercury Steam's first original entry in the Metroid series and they've really proven themselves with just how much this game not only evolves the ideas they introduced with Samus Returns, but in the way it pulls from the series' entire history to bring us what feels like the culmination of the franchise.

Samus has never felt better to control and movement has never been more fluid thanks to the new slide ability, running melee counter, and 360 degree shooting while moving. The 360 aim was one of my favorite mechanics from Samus Returns because of just how much it changed the way you interact with the environment, enemies, and bosses which kind of opened the game up in a way that hadn't been done before and it really gets to shine in Dread.

The melee counter on the other hand was a neat addition I didn't mind too much as it added yet another layer to combat that felt natural to the series, but my main criticism of it in Samus Returns was just how overused it was. Almost every single enemy you would encounter would lunge at you, turning combat into a melee fest.

Dread however remedied this issue by implementing far more unique attack patterns, making enemies and combat far more diverse. But most notably, melee counters are most effective on bosses as they trigger beautiful cinematic sequences that allow you the opportunity to exert a massive amount of damage without consequence as in Samus Returns, which itself justified the entire mechanic for me.

Speaking of boss fights, I've never had a harder time with bosses in any 2D Metroid game than with Dread. These boss fights are just incredible and take a lot of learning and skill mastery to defeat, which is exactly what you want from a boss fight. Almost every boss felt like I had to give it everything I had to overcome, even after learning their patterns and getting the rythm of the fight down, you can't slack on shooting all your missiles at every given opportunity. I walked away from a few of those fights with sore hands and a little stressed, not gonna lie.

Though I also really enjoyed all the encounters with the Chozo Warriors and Robots. They don't exactly feel like bosses and definitely aren't as intense as any of the major boss fights, but it always feels good to be able to test your mettle with an opponent of equal standing in any game. That and they offered us an excuse to flash shift around during combat which will never not be fun. Seriously, I can't imagine another Metroid game without this ability. I can only hope it becomes a staple of the series as the pulse scan has become as it further enriches the flow of combat in the same way the melee counter has.

They've also drastically improved the shinespark ability, giving us a lot more control over it as we can now activate it ourselves rather than it being automatically triggered by running after a while like previous entries. It can even be exploited in so many ways and be kept going after a slide and multiple wall jumps which creates so many new possibilities and interesting shinespark puzzles.

Where things begin to feel strange for me in regards to its overall fan reception is in the game's level design as Metroid fans often reject the idea of streamlining progression as seen with Metroid: Fusion and sometimes even Zero Mission despite how vague your objectives were. Metroid: Dread feels like a mixture of both Metroid: Fusion's linear progression and Super Metroid's more open design.

The game is deliberately designed to keep blocking the player from going backwards and very clearly guides the player to specific destinations without telling you, but exploration also feels very restricted until you gain specific abilities that open the world up to you more and more, but the game still naturally guides you through previous locations as part of its progression.

It's clever game design for sure and perfectly in tune with the rest of the series, but after revisiting Metroid: Fusion before Dread, I don't really comprehend what the issue is considering how similar both games are in its design yet how vastly different the response has been to both. The only difference I can think of is the absence of sequence breaking in Fusion, which would honestly not even be a factor for casual players as you really have to deliberately want to sequence break in Dread in order to do so.

As a more experienced Metroid player, I often found myself playing this way. Not deliberately trying to play out of order, but more so trying to obtain items earlier than intended, which in one instance, led me straight to the penultimate boss long before I was supposed to fight it, which left me frustrated at how impossible the fight was until I realized I wasn't even supposed to be there yet as I wasn't properly equipped.

I've also seen people complain that you're not given the morph ball early enough in the game, which I honestly don't understand how this is even a legitimate complaint. It's very much done by design, especially since we now have the slide maneuver by default, and is once again just another way Metroid: Dread pulls from Fusion by subverting player expectations by giving the morph ball the newfound purpose of opening up old areas to the player again.

The biggest addition and the main gimmick of the game on the other hand seems to have fans rather mixed. I for one appreciate how the E.M.M.I. harken back to different ideas presented in past games. There being a total of 7 E.M.M.I. is reminiscent of hunting a set number of Metroids in Metroid II, except you are now the hunted and not the hunter. This even goes back to the dynamic between the SA-X and Samus in Fusion, with a higher emphasis on stealth like in the Zero Suit portion of Zero Mission.

It's a natural evolution of the games it was supposed to succeed way back in 2005 when it was first announced and is the only element that I truly believe ties 2021's Dread with the original's concept. If only we knew more about the game's development and whether certain story beats were planned all along or just happened to come together after Samus Returns.

But I can also see why some people didn't quite enjoy the E.M.M.I. portions in Dread with the 2 common criticisms being how devoid of life and samey their sections look and death not really being much of a consequence as you just restart from the nearest checkpoint. While I do take issue with the environment often looking quite bland, I don't agree with the other criticism because the E.M.M.I. are simply obstacles you must overcome by finding the right path within the maze like structure all while avoiding contact with the enemy.

It's a puzzle you're meant to overcome and get better at until they no longer feel like a threat. The same could be said about Mr. X in the Resident Evil 2 remake, yet he's widely regarded as a scary figure despite skilled players knowing how to outmaneuver and toy with him. For the most part, I thought they did a great job at making the E.M.M.I. feel unpredictable with some of the later ones even being downright formidable, forcing the player to get better at using everything in their arsenal to not get caught and traverse the map more efficiently.

This is especially true after you get the Omega Cannon and you're given access to a specific region that you as a player must be able to read well and analyze which part of the map will work best in your favor to destroy the E.M.M.I. You're also given 2 small and unpredictable windows of opportunity to counter an E.M.M.I. after getting caught, which is also part of the thrill. Sure, you'll likely fail more times than not, but those rare occurrences when you do counter an E.M.M.I. and make your escape are undeniably satisfying.

Where I think the game lacks unfortunately is in its atmosphere and soundtrack which pretty much go hand in hand. The music goes for a more muted and ambient sound, with the most memorable bits being various beeping sounds evocative of the cold lifeless machinery that's trying to kill you. However, that's as much as I truly remember after having just finished it aside from the Super Metroid theme that would play in various cutscenes.

I strongly believe music has a power over people to evoke strong emotional feelings and create personal connections to things. It's why we're often overcome with nostalgia whenever we hear familiar notes in trailers for movies like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, or Ghostbusters. It's why I still get chills whenever I hear Kass' rendition of the Zelda theme in Breath of the Wild as it takes me all the way back to my childhood as I reflect on the long journey and passage of time that has occurred between then and now.

It's been 19 years since Metroid: Fusion and 11 years since Metroid was last relevant seeing as nobody played Samus Returns 4 years ago and Metroid's music is still in the minds of gamers today because it was so important in getting across the game's narrative and atmosphere without any words. The lack of it in Dread does unfortunately create a sense of lifelessness and while some might argue that's the point, I don't think a lack of personality is doing it any favors no matter how valid it may be.

On paper, Metroid: Dread is the ultimate 2D Metroid game, but every entry is honestly too unique and has stuck with people for various reasons to even attempt to make a case for this being the best Metroid game. Some may not enjoy the main gimmick or the difficulty of the bosses in Dread, others might just prefer the overall genre defining Super Metroid for establishing the template in which all future entries will work off of, and others might just like the more horror themed Metroid: Fusion for how it plays with the series' formula.

It's hard to judge, but that doesn't stop Metroid: Dread from being yet another excellent entry in the Metroid series, one of 2021's best games, a Switch library essential, and just a damn great example of the genre it helped create. It's easy to disappoint people after a 19 year hiatus, but they really nailed it and left me satisfied and interested in where the series will go next. Hopefully this time, it won't take another 19 years before we see Samus on her next mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom