• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Megaman: Why the Hate for Axl?

Chiraku

Demon slayer
Okay, so I'm a Megaman fan, played a good deal of the games, but never played X7 and X8, and I that's where infamous Axl shows up. Now I haven't played the game nor have I bothered to watch a playthrough, so I'd like to know why do people hate Axl so much?
Is his character annoying? Is he overpowered? Weak? Is his story lacking or something? I honestly can see no reason to dislike him (again, I haven't played his games, so that's a given) besides all the ramblings about him.
Now I don't want any Internet Backdraft. I would like a calm, level-headed, unbiased answer as to why he is hated. Not just why you might hate him, please. I want an explanation, not a rant.

I don't hate Axl, but as I understand the entire backlash against him was mainly due to a few factors:

• Some people felt he had an annoying personality with his upbeat attitude and remarks.
  • I've heard his voiceacting in X7 where he first appeared was bad, although I haven't played it. I liked his voice in X8.
  • He replaced X. Mega Man X was an unlockable character in X7, whereas for the bulk of the game Axl was actually his replacement.

I'd say that last one is the number one reason. Sort of like how Metal Gear Solid fans probably wouldn't have hated Raiden in MGS2 if he wasn't Snake's replacement. People get pretty uppity about the established protagonist getting replaced. I like Axl well enough but I don't think replacing X with him was a good call.

Pretty sure very few people hated him all that much in X8, because X was once again a major character and they gave Axl different mechanics. As I said I don't hate Axl and I've found him an enjoyable character. I think he was funner to play than X in X8, but character-wise he doesn't hold a candle to X or Zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom