• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Media you've outgrown

I'll probably never outgrow Digimon or Zelda and Mario but on the flipside I'm very glad I grew out of listening to bands such as Nightwish and trying to appreciate DC comics back in the day.

Is there any media that you've outgrown or left behind, do you ever regret leaving it behind or are you glad you did?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
When I was younger I was really into comicbooks, especially Marvel but with DC I liked Batman comics. I stopped collecting new comics way back in 2010. For awhile afterward I still would look around for old Silver age comics, and I ended up getting alot of them. I stopped collecting completely about 3 years ago, not really because I wanted to, I just didn't have the time to devote toward it anymore. I actually would like to continue on adding to my Silver age collection, so I do regret not keeping up with it after all this time.

When I was like 13 I got into Manga because it was cool while I was in Middle School and I had friends who were reading it. I actually didn't care much for collecting Manga so that is something I'm glad I left behind, and that I didn't invest much into. I only bought like a few issues of Naruto and that was it. Alot of the manga I did read I borrowed from the public library, they actually had a really large manga collection surprisingly, and have probably only added to it.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I used to be a Sonic fan back before it was lame to be a Sonic fan. Actually, being a Sonic fan wasn't anything back then. I really only cared about Sonic at all because it was something me and my friend shared. Both of us grew right the frak on out of it real quick all of a sudden and neither of us ever spoke of it again... until now. o_O

Otherwise... I was kinda into a group called DC Talk back in the day. God that band sucks. This was back when I was stupid and had no taste and I only ever heard about em because another friend mentioned it once. I think I may have actually ran the one album of theirs that I had through the shredder.

I outgrew reading popular novels. Every book I've read that became a movie was nothing like what I expected when I went to the movie theater, I felt like I was going insane and my reality was skewed. I don't even like reading, my eyes skip paragraphs and my imagination goes elsewhere, so maybe that's why. I'm definitely not against reading books, it's nice to do when you're enjoying the story.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
'Classics', or at least the perceived pressure to watch/read them. When I was younger I felt like if I were reading a book it had to be a famous one that everyone loved. Same with movies. Often I'd find myself having a bad time but pretending I didn't. I don't think it's because I actually disliked these books/movies, bu the pressure of 'having' to like them or else being 'wrong' meant I wasn't really taking them in in an honest manner. I eventually grew past that notion of feeling pressured to read/watch certain things and have certain opinions of them and start consuming whatever media caught my fancy and to reserve the right to dislike things even if the consensus is wholly positive.

Resident Evil 6 is an excellent video game.
The Young Adult genre has a lot of really good books.
Quantum of Solace is one of the best Bond movies.

Half-Life 2 is a bad video game.
The Lord of the Rings is a dense and boring book.
The Godfather was an entirely forgettable movie.

On a more specific note, I feel like I grew out of Dragonball Z. I used to breathe it when I was a kid, but as an adult, the repetition and hollowness of later sagas shines through too much for me to enjoy it on anything other than nostalgic terms.

I kind of feel like I'm growing out of Harry Potter at long last, but if I'm honest with myself I'm not and I just hate everything Rowling has put out since Deathly Hallows.

Please stop, Jo. Please.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I outgrew my LotR fandom. I used to be extremely obsessed with the books and movies. Yes I still love them but am no longer collecting everything. I collected cards, boardgames, action figures and all kind of media stuff and heck even lifesized cardboards! But I grew completely out of it. I hardly watch the movies anymore. They will however always be my fav trilogy ever though.

Mario: Even though I adore the lil fluffy boy and his brother I grew out of this as well. I collected many Mario plushies but I hardly play the games anymore. And if I do, I quit in less than 5 minutes because I get bored with it.

I also outgrew some music. I was a Beach Boys fan. But now you won't find me listening to their music anymore. When I play it on youtube I turn it off not even 20 sec later. I just can't listen to it anymore without feeling extremely bored.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
I outgrew Cartoon Network and I'm glad I did because my parents didn't really like that too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom