• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Maybe I'm Late to the Party But...

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
Did anyone else notice changes in the block images and mirror shields in OoT from the original cartridge to MQ and VC? I did a bit of research and people theorize that the Crescent Moon and Star resembled Islam and I guess they felt the need to change it? IDK I never got a legit answer.

Here is the Mirror Shield.

2shieldsgy6.jpg

Now I have never played OoT on the VC until now. So this would be why I am just now finding out lol and I never played MQ. Apparently its the same for blocks too, the big gray, red and brown ones.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
Yeah. And as well as it being the symbol of Islam it's the Turkish flag :P
turkey.jpg

I guess the Gerudo weren't very creative when they came up with their logo? :?

They also removed a few other things, like chanting in the fire temple and a few glitches :3

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Yah, you are late to the party, to me that's old news. Well, there were complaints so Nintendo had to make a change in the new versions. The Gerudo symbol was basically a mirrored version of the Turkish flag and the Fire Temple had Muslim chanting in the music.

Last edited:

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
Now that I think about it I do remember there not being chanting in the Fire Temple.

I don't see why people complain about stuff like this. I guess their lives are not interesting enough for them that they have to stir up drama for someone else. This kind of behavior saddens me.

Kybyrian

People are just overly dramatic these days... they don't know how to take anything. If a little something about religion pops up, drama will be there, as always. They put Muslim chanting in the Fire Temple and an Islamic symbol on the Mirror Shield and people naturally complained about it. Nintendo certainly doesn't want any troubles, so they changed it without much of a fuss.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yeah, this is similar to people complaining about Level 3 (I think) in LoZ being shaped like a swastic. People are crazy, I didn't have any problem about religious concerns. But I do like the picture on the Mirror Shield more on the VC version :)

Majora's Cat

How about that
I don't really want to sound offensive, but some religious people need to stop treating small things in video games like OoT was such dislike. I don't see why the Muslim symbol can't be in the game, and I just want them to chill out. No offense, but I did like the Fire Temple's music better before the chanting got taken out. Sometimes I think it's ridiculous. I do, however, understand why this would be so offensive, but I do respect their wishes, but the symbols didn't have to be taken out of the game altogether.

ya like majora's cat said, people need to calm down about symbols about there religion being used in a purely decorative manner. I'de understand if someone in a video game or TV show starting insulting ur religion but just as a symbol on a shild I don't realy understand..
But still it is their symbol and we should respect their culture.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Yes, I did notice that, but I've played Ocarina of Time on the N64, Gamecube, and Virtual Console. It would have been harder for me not to notice it.

Like you, I heard that the chanting in the Fire Temple, as well as the star and moon (on the Mirror Shield and blocks) were taken out due to people complaining that they were religious references to Islam.

Supposedly, one Muslim group actually claimed that they disliked the idea of their prayers being directed towards the worship of a dragon. I personally find that interpretation of what's going on in the Fire Temple far more humorous than I probably should.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Yes, I did notice that, but I've played Ocarina of Time on the N64, Gamecube, and Virtual Console. It would have been harder for me not to notice it.

Like you, I heard that the chanting in the Fire Temple, as well as the star and moon (on the Mirror Shield and blocks) were taken out due to people complaining that they were religious references to Islam.

Supposedly, one Muslim group actually claimed that they disliked the idea of their prayers being directed towards the worship of a dragon. I personally find that interpretation of what's going on in the Fire Temple far more humorous than I probably should.

I actually heard someone who speaks Arabic translate the chanting. The translation is actually something very benign and simple like Akhbar Allah, which merely means "Praise God" in Arabic. It actually goes to mention God by name, so it can't be the worship of a dragon at all. Listening to lyrics seems to be pretty beneficial.

Yeah, this is old news but it's still fun to bring up sometimes. Thing is, I don't think there was actually complaining (at least not enough to worry about) about these things, they just noticed they were close so removed them to be safe.

The Fire Temple song resembled a "holy Muslim chant". Here's the two versions...

Chant Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_nCxM9ofhI

Chant Removed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFN6yoVbOYk

And yeah, the Gerudo symbol resembled a religious Islam symbol or something. Was changed to the new (overall more unique) Gerudo Symbol.

Either way it doesn't really matter. I think the new Fire Temple song is duller overall, but whatever, it's not a big deal.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Yeah this is decently old news. It's too bad, the old version with the crescent moon is really cool looking, and the newer one is kind of "meh." The chanting version of the Fire Temple song is way cooler as well, and sets a really creepy, epic tone, which fits extremely well with the Fire Temple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom