• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

May I Ask What the Appeal of Super Mario Galaxy Is? (the First One)

i actually got to play through some of Mario Galaxy for the first time just recently and to be honest i don't get the appeal, i mean a lot of times to me it feels like some things off about the game that braught me to love other Mario games, i'll go down the list

1. the music, the music of the game, i'll admit is great, very well orchastrated on most parts and just a joy to listen to, but the problem i have with the music is most of the songs, just don't feel right in a Mario game, a lot of the songs i heard in the game sound better suited for a Zelda game, i mean try to imagine the theme of Gusty Garden playing in the background of Hyrule Field in Zelda TP or even the sea in Wind Waker, but like i said i love the music, it's just most of the songs don't sound like they belong in a Mario game

2. the fire flower's debut in the 3D games, why does it have to be timed? it's not like it would make things easier it would feel like any other version of the fire flower in the 2D games it wouldn't break the game in any way it should have been the way it used to be where you lose it after geting hit once, that balances things out in Mario Galaxy because even if you have the fire flower there are still enemies out there that will be able to catch you off gaurd especially with the gravity gimik messing with the camera (which will be talked about on #3)

3. ok so this is about the gravity and the camera, there have been a lot of times where i would run around a small planet and get blind sigted by a nearby enemy that i didn't get to see because the camera didn't catch up to me this is something that became annoying very quickly and it got especially bad when i was playing as Luigi (i used the power of game saves to unlock him in case you're wondering how i got him in such a short time) because since Luigi runs faster than Mario he'll outrun the camera around a planet and get hit by a parahna plant before the camera can show it

4. lack of power up usage, when i played through the game as much as i have, i noticed that the power ups don't come up very often, i mean out of all of them i found the star power up the most often, and you don't see any of the main ones nearly as often

i'm not trying to troll or be a hater, because really i like this game but not nearly as much as most people seem to, and if you're one of those people, more power to you i commend you, i just want to know the appeal, what is it about this game that makes you smile everytime you play it? i may feel this way about it cause i'm more of a Sonic fan than i am a Mario fan but ya know, the user on Youtube SomeCallMeJohnny said it best, it's Mario, he's immune to negitivity and there's no denying that his games are good

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
The appeal of the first game is somewhat like the complaint you have with the music. So many people like it that much mainly because it was DIFFERENT from other Mario games. Or at least that's what I've been told.

The fire flower may be timed because the programmers didn't want it to be overpowered. I mean, it also adds to the somewhat puzzle element that there is to lightning the torches in time. It would probably not make it easier to have it damage-based, but it does make it harder when it's timed, and that's probably what Nintendo aimed for.

You're right about the camera, it is a hassle on some places that require precise navigation (one rabbit chase comes to my mind).

By the way, shouldn't this be in the General Gaming board?

oh wow you're right, my mistake i'm doing this really late at night so i didn't realize where i was putting this, i'll just take this to that forum and let this one here be removed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom