• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art May Community Competitions

Kybyrian

We are no longer featuring these on the site due to a staff decision. This is the draft from May's competitions, converted from HTML to BBCode.

ForestThemeSig2.png

This month has been an interesting one for competitions, seeing as how we had a few changes this time around. Unfortunately, it will also be the last month. We are discontinuing the featuring of Community Competitions here on the main site, and you will have to check out the forums to see what's up. The Random Drawing Contest has been changed from every week to every other week, so everybody has more time to send in their entries this time. Be sure to check out our Fan Works forum to participate in all of our community competitions. Every week we have the Writing Community Competition, Graphics Community Competition, and every other week we have the Random Drawing Contest. Be sure to participate if you're good in any of the fields!

Graphics Community Competition

The Graphics Community Competition is a weekly competition hosted by our forum member Bigelover88. It test the skills of the competitors in creating images with programs such as Photoshop and GIMP, and typically features signatures as the medium with many unique themes every week.

And now... for the entires for this month.

Week 1 - Favorite Zelda Theme/Moment

This was a great theme that produced three different entries, and the winner ended up being SuperSilly with a great signature.

ForestThemeSig2.png

Week 2 - Final Fantasy

Being a website dedicated to Zelda, we have a lot of plain old Nintendo fans lurking around, which means that Final Fantasy is a great theme for a lot of people. Our winner, once again, was SuperSilly with a fantastic signature of Squall from final fantasy. It's very well-done and has a great and interesting background with a sharp render.

SquallSig.png

Writing Community Competition

The Writing Community Competition showcases the talent that the members here at ZD have as authors. Every week there is a new theme in this competition hosted by our forum user Meego.

Week 1 - The Master Sword

The interesting theme spawned a plethora of absolutely amazing pieces. It seems that the members favored the unique and illuminating quality of ChargewithSword's entry. Take a look...

Can't you feel it? It's pulsating and alive!

It's gleaming hull is as cold as the frozen north, yet shines brighter than the dawning sun peeking its head over the cold horizon in spring. It's a warm and loving light that basks you, like a mother gazing into the eyes of a freshly born child; calm and intrigued with the sense of mystery before it.

Whatever darkness arrives to cloud the vision of the dancing spectres of citizens in turmoil, vanquishes and fails beneath its hardened gleam. Incorruptible, and unclaimed by the sins of mortal and hated wrongdoings, for no evil hand may come across a finer blade without feeling the hissing singe of its repellence.

What foul being, bereft of light, and peace dares challenge? What steadfast child chooses to be its dealer? Justice never knew such bounds of common tongue untouched and forgotten as the might of it.

It is the tool, the bane, the fear, the hammer, the seeker, and the forgiving. A thing with more names to match its untouched majesty and beauty.
Only one title may be fit for usage in the mortal tongue, lest the very name burn with power.

Only one...

Master Sword...

If that's not amazing, I don't know what is.

Week 2 - The Masks of Zelda

Another brilliantly unique theme has the users writing an entry about the various masks that have appeared throughout the history of the Zelda series. The author that took the cake for this week was Justeazy. Congratulations on a wonderfully written piece, Justeazy!

"Well...?"

The room was still, nothing moved as the echoes resounded off of the concrete walls. The shelves, layered in dust of the ages, were aged. One had broken, though exactly when is uncertain. It could have been a week ago. It could have been a year ago. It could have been a lifetime ago.

"We wait."

"For what? How long has it been since-"

"You speak of time as if it were relative to us."

"... who cares about time ... not us ... certainly, but ... we can't help it ... we are trapped ... not free ... so strange ... lack of change ... left here still ... unfulfilled ..."

"We have neither light or warmth of sun, nor dark or chill of night. There is no such thing as time as long as there is none to pass."

Seven years. Seven long years have passed. Seven years since the attack. The shop was boarded up and abandoned. The dream of delivering happiness, everflowing joy, radiant blissful extacy; bringing with it the sheer enlightenment of fulfilling one's purpose: abandoned.

"The man with the smile."

"No, the boy in green."

"We need hope; the dreamer-"

"A dreamer is but a dreamer until he is awakened. It is not until those dreams are acted upon until they can become reality."

"... alone ... severed ... forever ... never together ..."

And so they wait. Wait for the dreamer of dreams to awaken; wait for the boy in green to act; wait for their true destiny to be realized. As long as they sit, they will wait, as they can do nothing else. Do not let these dreams be forgotten....

Week 3 - Link's Awakening

This was a very generic theme, and once again our winner was Justeazy. He's a pretty good writer, and he managed to take the title as the winner of the Writing Community Competition two weeks in a row.

It was a bright sunny morning. The residents of Koholint weren't prepared for the boy in green to wash upon their shore. When he strolled through town, however, he seemed he knew of the problems that had plagued their land and was determined to fix it. They didn't know how, for as long as they cared to remember this is the way it always was.

The boy in green traveled west, east, south and north. Everywhere he went, tales of darkness falling to his blade followed. He always returned to the village, and always the villagers remained. Swearing to make the day where once again where they would be safe to roam their island, he collected the eight magical instruments scattered around the island.

One by one, he learned their sacred melodies, until one day he could play them all at once. Using their power, he planned to awaken the wind fish to once and for all bring about an end to the darkness surrounding their land. He climbed the stairs - pulling out the ocarina - and played the magical notes. The egg cracked, a hole formed, and he disappeared into the darkness within the egg. Never to be seen again.

Week 4 - A Diary Entry

This was yet another really unique theme that spawned a couple interesting entries. In the end the tie was broken by only one vote, leaving our forum member theothernavi the winner. Congratulations to you!

Dear Diary: I am worried. Spring has arrived. Flowers are blooming, birds are singing, and the sun is shining brighter than ever. I know I should be happy, but I'm not. It has been nearly seven years since Link left us, and he still hasn't returned. Things were never the same after he left. The forest doesn't seem quite as lively and green as it did when he staggered out of his house each morning, a longing to fall back asleep in his eyes. I miss the moment we stood on the bridge separating Kokiri Forest from Hyrule Field, when I handed him the ocarina, which I'm certain he still treasures with all his heart. I even miss hearing Navi bother us both constantly. It's almost like a day in winter, when you hope and pray that the snow will melt soon, but in the back of your mind, you know it won't happen until the gods decide. But I can't wait for the gods to decide. I must know he is alive. I only want to hear my song on the wind, and be certain he is the one playing it. Most of all, I want to know that he is there, wondering how I'm doing, knowing how much I miss him. I mustn't sit idle anymore. I will go to the Forest Temple to pray, and hope my prayers are heard. The temple is full of disgusting monsters, but I don't care. Nothing will stop me. Nothing can stop me.

Random Drawing Contest

The Random Drawing Contest is a competition that encourages users to display their drawing skills in a once every two weeks competition.

Week 1 - Link's Awakening

As always we had a wonderful entry from Xinnamin, our very own elegant gallery coordinator. Congratulations on a beautifully made piece of art, Xinnamin.

LAscenery.png

Try to keep up-to-date with our Community Competitions, everybody! That's it for the month of May, so head on over to our Fan Works forum to keep tabs on everything that's going on. See you next month with the next batch of entries for the month of June!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom