• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

May Artwork

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
This months featured artwork includes five pieces from five artists who recently submitted new material. Remember, if you have your own fan artwork that you would like to display, please send it in to our friends at North Castle.

Moosh by Shadsie
Your New Reward by Ashley Davis
Koume and Kotake by Iroas
Shad by Mayte
Pisces Iscariot by Link Worshiper

The artwork of Moosh is pretty sweet since it isn't too often that we see artwork from minor characters from the Oracle titles. I'm not a big fan of the romantic fan artwork, but I have to say that 'Your New Reward' is pretty detailed. Koume and Kotake is a fun piece of artwork from many of our favorite bosses in the series. 'Shad' is definitely my favorite of the artwork that is featured this month as it has incredible detail and the colors really do jump out at me. Pisces Iscariot rounds up the bunch with Link collecting the Zora Sapphire.

Which is your favorite of the group? Head on over to the Zelda Dungeon Forums to voice your opinions.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
*Laughs.* Once again, I feel loved. *Raises paintbrush* I am just awesome!

Tidbits of information: The background/paper is Canson canva-paper, stained with brewed tea (I have a technique for that and I have scans of tea-stained papers on my DA page - see my sig - for those looking for this kind of texture for digital art). I believe I used a mix of black and redbush tea for that particular bit of paper... References were a Moosh image taken from Zelda Wiki and a couple of Googled photographs of grizzly bears. I wanted to make my Moosh "realistic" - as much as a winged blue bear can be. Acrylic paint, traditional methods - my usual.

That said, my favorte of the bunch is the Koume and Kotake. It's creepy and cute at the same time and really has a feel to me of a storybook illustration. Also, we don't see artwork of the witch-twins too often.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
good artwork this month.

I especially like Moosh, Shad and Koume and Kotake. Too be very honest, I don't like link's face in that pisces iscariot art. He looks like a frenchman dressed up as link that just hit a wall while trying to obtain the zora sapphire. The fish looks very cool though.

good artwork this month.

I especially like Moosh, Shad and Koume and Kotake. Too be very honest, I don't like link's face in that pisces iscariot art. He looks like a frenchman dressed up as link that just hit a wall while trying to obtain the zora sapphire. The fish looks very cool though.

I agree except I don't think Link looks like a frenchman :lol:. I think it is quite creepy really o_O

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Very cool techniques you employed into your work, Shadsie. I've been meaning to try different types of Canson paper myself, but I just haven't gone about doing it. i might have to try this to see what kind of effects I can come up with. Great job!

Shnappy

derp
Moosh - I really like this one. It is pretty detailed, particularly on the fur. The wings are also very well designed. I don't know why, but I like the expression on its face. It looks sad, and kind of relaxed at the same time, like someone is petting it.

Your New Reward - I like the background in this picture. Link and Zelda are very well drawn and detailed. The picture may be a bit... Disturbing, but other than that, I like it.

Koume and Kotake - I laughed at this one at first. I love the expression of Koume's face, and especially like the teeth. It also looks like Kotake just ate something sour :xd:. This is very good for something hand drawn, I like the detail on both faces.

Shad - I have to agree with Mases that this is the best one of the month. I really love the shading, it makes it look very neat and realistic. Shad, like Moosh, isn't an important character so it's nice to see a picture of Shad. All aspects of the drawing have an equal amount of effort and detail, from the book, to Shad, to the background.

Pisces Escariot - This is an interesting one. Link is very well drawn, especially the hair. The main thing I like about this one is the fish. Around its tail it has those designs with the white, tan, and different shades of blue. That to me is the best part of the picture. Also, if you notice, the Fish's gills look like a storm, with clouds and lightning. Very cool.

I really liked the artwork for this month. Not much else to say, really. Can't wait for next month :).

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
This is a really nice art update. Each piece is done very well.

But out of the five, I really like the one of Shad the most. It's very exquisite looking. I always liked Shad in TP for some reason too, so it's cool to see some art of him. Especially a piece done so well.

But I can't say it doesn't remind me of Harry Potter... Because when I look at it, the hairy wizard comes to mind right away. :P

I too loved the detail on Shad, but my favorite of the bunch had to be Koume and Kotake. It made me laugh. You get the feeling she's so fed up with her sister. (Now if I only knew which one was which! :S)

And kudos to Shadsie for using acrylics and, wholly moley, tea-stained paper! Traditional media + creative use of beverages = awesome.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I love the artwork (as always)! I think my favorite might be Koume and Kotake but I actually believe Moosh is the "piece of artwork" that is most distinguished and has the most artistic value to it (pardon my lack of language skills but I can´t find another way to describe it). I´m glad Shadsie has joined the forum :)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
http://shadsie.deviantart.com/gallery/#Stock-Textures

My small collection of scanned stock textures for anyone intrested in them. Don't be too alarmed at the "blood" texture - that was years ago and I think I got it when I'd cut myself shaving my legs... it was either that or when I was being stupid and emo with an xacto blade (I'm more balanced now, don't do that crap to myself anymore). In any case it's ancient history, but the scan is still around. (Seems to be the scan of mine most used by people on DA, actually). Though, if I ever needed another scan like that for some reason, I probably would haul out and give myself some cuts for the sake of art - 'cause I'm weird like that. The fried grass thing has a story behind it, it's just weird. Nobody seems to use it, either.

Coffee and tea staining is not unique by a longshot... it's long been used by artitsts wanting an "old" texture, such as for creating Medieval-looking maps and such. I find a hairdyer very useful in the layering technique I use in my staining (and also for drying paint) - I almost never use it for my hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom