• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mature Discussion Should Be Discussion Not Spam

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I agree that of late some of the MD posts by a particular member...not naming names...have not been mature discussion and should have been instead put in General discussion.

I also think the wording of a thread is something that members should take care over to ensure the nature of the topic and the direction to take it is made clear.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I agree that of late some of the MD posts by a particular member...not naming names...have not been mature discussion and should have been instead put in General discussion.

I also think the wording of a thread is something that members should take care over to ensure the nature of the topic and the direction to take it is made clear.

Yes I'm not naming names. I don't need to.

But the wording of a thread is actually pretty important and is something that's come up quite a bit recently, where people don't actually know what the OP is asking.

At the end of the day, it's NOT unreasonable to want to have real discussions in a ****ing discussion forum, okay? I'm not here to attack any single member. Yes, there is one who has brought this particularly to my attention but he is not the only one with poorly worded posts and who is incapable of having a real discussion about things. Just look at some of the joke ass responses to this forum suggestion smh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beauts

Ok seriously why do I bother with anything anymore?

I'm making a reasonable suggestion in the ****ing forum suggestions and you guys are acting like kids. If I'm no fun, fine, I'm no fun, but you've turned a reasonable suggestion into a pisstake. How does that work?

EDIT: Removed unnecessary confrontational language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Ok seriously why do I bother with anything anymore?

I'm making a reasonable suggestion in the ****ing forum suggestions and you guys are acting like kids. If I'm no fun, fine, I'm no fun, but you've turned a reasonable suggestion into a pisstake. How does that work?

Have you considered that the reason why he's posting those threads in the MD is BEACUSE they are incoherent and don't belong? He's a obvious troll so that's why no one takes him serious. Like I said, it's all a joke.

Beauts

Have you considered that the reason why he's posting those threads in the MD is BEACUSE they are incoherent and don't belong? He's a obvious troll so that's why no one takes him serious. Like I said, it's all a joke.

Noooo really? I'm sorry Ken, I really had no idea, you really had to pull it apart and explain it to me because I'm just a stupid girl who has no idea what is going on and I need you, almighty wise one, to tell me!!

But as long as we're explaining the fine points: it's not funny and it's been going on long enough now. If you keep flogging a dead horse it won't come back to life and start galloping. You know, because it's dead. And horses gallop. Did I explain it enough for you, or do you need me to explain to you that all living things eventually die too? It's really hard to tell how far I need to take the captain obvious stuff

Kylo Ken

Noooo really? I'm sorry Ken, I really had no idea, you really had to pull it apart and explain it to me because I'm just a stupid girl who has no idea what is going on and I need you, almighty wise one, to tell me!!

Well, if you knew, why are you taking the bait? Lol. You're making a fool of yourself here.

If you keep flogging a dead horse it won't come back to life and start galloping. You know, because it's dead. And horses gallop.

Hey, you're the one making a thread telling mods how to do their jobs, talk about redundant.

CAN'T YOU TELL THIS IS WHAT HE WANTS? WE CAN'T LET HIM WIN!

Beauts

Well, if you knew, why are you taking the bait? Lol. You're making a fool of yourself here.

Hey, you're the one making a thread telling mods how to do their jobs, talk about redundant.

CAN'T YOU TELL THIS IS WHAT HE WANTS? WE CAN'T LET HIM WIN!

You know what? No, I'm not.

I made a suggestion. If they don't want suggestions, take this section down. I didn't realise it was here to look pretty. I apologise.

Grow up.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
While I typically lean toward the in-depth discussion aspect I can also see how this part of the forums can be seen as a place to discuss topics of an adult nature even if the thread is a little light. I agree some of the topics Spyro made could have started out a little different to make them more engaging, and what he did post might be better suited for a blog perhaps, however he was still bringing up mature/adult topics and I think those also have a place here.

As Jamie said, if people have a problem with a thread they can ignore or report it.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I do agree with @Beauts that we should be encouraging some more thought provoking discussions in the MD. There is Lorule Lounge for banter and spam threads and the general discussion section for less serious topics that still have discussion value.

I think that ideally when making a thread there should be an in-depth analysis of the topic given by the OP rather than just, say, linking to a video and asking people to discuss it. Thread titles should be kept neutral and not claim that one side is correct or incorrect.

We have been trashing a lot of posts within MD threads that are just spam or memes lately but I'll concede that we can be doing a better job with monitoring the OPs for discussion value.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I do agree with @Beauts that we should be encouraging some more thought provoking discussions in the MD. There is Lorule Lounge for banter and spam threads and the general discussion section for less serious topics that still have discussion value.

I think that ideally when making a thread there should be an in-depth analysis of the topic given by the OP rather than just, say, linking to a video and asking people to discuss it. Thread titles should be kept neutral and not claim that one side is correct or incorrect.

We have been trashing a lot of posts within MD threads that are just spam or memes lately but I'll concede that we can be doing a better job with monitoring the OPs for discussion value.

Since this is in the suggestions thread now I have a suggestion.

I think it would solve a lot of problems if we had a "mature" section that was split between 18+ discussions of any nature and "serious" discussion in addition to our life advice sub-forum. Could we give it a try and see if that works? Personally I know I would love to be able to have a mature "serious" discussion but also have a light-hearted 18+ discussion on the site I've come to know and love. I'm sure others would feel the same.

Reactions: Dio

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm with @Beauts on this one.

We've been seeing more and more discussions that just don't belong anywhere near Mature Discussions. A quick glance at some of the threads cropping up within a section that's supposed to feature stricter rules and moderation leads me to believe that it isn't being as scrutinized as it should be. Wasn't the point of the two policy threads to give increased standards and promote civilized discussion?

There's nothing wrong with having fun during discussions, but the point of MD is that they facilitate good, healthy conversations. "Masturbation is normal i think" is not the kind of thread that should survive more than once glance from a moderator. Does reporting help? Absolutely, but I thought Mature Discussion was supposed to be the most heavily monitored and moderated part of the forum.

In fact...

5) Discussion Topics- Since this is the mature discussion, many sensitive topics will be discussed. We ask that all topics that are made remain in good taste, sincere, and serve as more than simple flame/sympathy bait. Threads designed simply to anger or troll users will not be tolerated. In short, use common sense when creating a topic.

Huh. I wonder where I pulled that from.

Last edited:

Kylo Ken

Well, the threads are either political, religious, or sexual in nature. So technically, they actually do belong in the MD. However, it's apparent to the users here that Spyro is a troll, so we not only don't take him seriously, but join in because it's fun. It's also apparent to the staff, cause they shut down some of his threads. However, none of his actions warrant a temper tantrum. Having one like Beauts did, does three things:

1. Plays right into the trolls hands
2. Makes a mountain of a mole-hill
3. Makes oneself look; well, immature. How can one complain of immaturity after actions like that?

All in all, she's obviously right. Of course those threads don't belong there, cause they're troll threads.
the point of MD is that they facilitate good, healthy conversations.

That......just never happens. MD has always been filled with bait threads, users flaming eachother, and stubbornness. That's the nature of the internet when it comes to topics covered in the MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom