• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mature Discussion Rules-Read BEFORE Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
Mature Discussion Rules

"Keeping the Madness to a Minimum"

1) Respect Others-This, simply put, means no personal attacks. Disagreeing with the belief itself is okay, arguing against a claim is fine, however insulting the belief or the believer is not. Treat others as you want to be treated, and you ought to be okay.​

2) No Trolling/Flamebaiting-Don't waste time making people sort out horrible debate threads that are nothing but hate(for example, a thread titled "I think Gays should rot in hell" or "All Christians are evil, hateful, ultraconservative bigots" would not be something we would allow, because it is going to incite more disrespect).​

We understand that this limits the scope of the discussion and cuts off extremists views on many subject matters, but this is so that debators and contributors to the discussion will feel respected and safe here.​

3) Contribute to the Discussion- Posting a simple "I agree" doesn't really help people develop an understanding of the topic. We appreciate more insight on the topic and even taking risky stances on issues that others don't agree with, but whatever you do-make sure it furthers the discussion.​

In short, change the "I agree" post to "I agree, because...." or "I thought about this...." or "This is what I got out of that post..."​

4) Remain On Topic- It's easy to get away from the topic at hand, especially if you have something else on your mind. So stay on topic with posts. For example, saying prayer ought to be mandatory in schools because God exists is getting off topic(to the issue of God's existance). However, saying prayer ought to be mandatory because it teaches spiritual diciplines or because the majority of America is religious would be more on topic, and provide something to forward the debate with.​

5) Discussion Topics- Since this is the mature discussion, many sensitive topics will be discussed. We ask that all topics that are made remain in good taste, sincere, and serve as more than simple flame/sympathy bait. Threads designed simply to anger or troll users will not be tolerated. In short, use common sense when creating a topic.

Following the above five rules will make the Mature Discussion productive, insightful, and bring a sense of self-criticism to the board and it's users and establish an intellectual community here at the Zelda Dungeon Forums.

Failure to follow these rules may result in a warning, closing of a thread, banning certain discussion topics, and banning of users from the Mature Discussion and possibly the Zelda Dungeon Forums, depending on the severity of the case at hand.

NOTE: The standard Zelda Dungeon Forum Rules are expected to be followed as well.

Special Thanks: Mases, Alder Dragon, hsb39, Hanyou

Any questions and concerns regarding the Mature Discussion may be made by posting within this thread and will be addressed promptly.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

death_knight

Indeed. Distasteful language directed towards ones beliefs/practices solves nothing. One is entitled to one's oppinion. Freedom of speech is encouraged in our country. HOWEVER, it is both wise and mature to do the right thing by being polite to the man on your left, and the man on your right. United we stand;divided we fall. This applies to all beings. If you can still be polite and non-offensive during a debate. Just don't get too personal and angry-tempered. Keep your cool, be kind, and always. always...REDUCE, REUSE, AND RECYCLE!!!!

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
Please post amendments, rewordings, and new rules that you have ideas on here. Also, feel free to discuss and criticize whatever is on there. This is our rules, not just mine.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Another suggested rule.
One person may believe an idea, and you have to respect it. Don't say you hate their guts because of that belief, and especially don't make death threats due to a specific belief.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
Petman, that falls under the first and most important rule. But it seems you are trying to talk about a specific experience. Or would you rather me be more specific?

www.zeldainmypocket.com
I would suggest suggest treating the moderators here (on this forum) the same way as other members. In previous experiences (not here), the moderators have been know to flame and troll, just so they can issue bans to those who disagree with them.

Just a thought.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
Basically moderators are functioning as users anyways, just that clean up the forums as well. As long as you don't do anything wrong, you have nothing to fear. That's the same as anywhere else. We're pretty casual, not some totalitarian regime ready to kick your butt to china and back.

And by that I mean I don't think that rule is necessary because you should be treating everyone with the same amount of respect. And if I feel moderators are trolling(or anyone for that matter) I will personally be coming down on them for it. I'd do it at first privately, like any other user. Basically, you have nothing to worry about.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I would suggest suggest treating the moderators here (on this forum) the same way as other members. In previous experiences (not here), the moderators have been know to flame and troll, just so they can issue bans to those who disagree with them.

Just a thought.
Ya, this is a general forum rule to begin with. Nothing like this seems necessary to be in the Mature Discussion set of rules because it's part of the regular forum rules. Moderators and Registered Users both are responsible for following the same rule set.

M

Myungster

I think these rules should be followed anywhere, reguardless.

It makes sense.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
The rules regarding making topics have changed!

Check the new amendment, rule #5, in the opening post.

Feel free to continue to discuss the rules in this thread!

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Fixed minor changes.
-Added note stating that when no rule is specified, the standard Zelda Dungeon Forum rules apply.
-Changed Dark World to Zelda Dungeon Forums.
-Removed inactive members from the 'thanks' area.
-Fixed a coding error.
-Removed (c) Inflexus :cool:

Last edited:

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
-Removed (c) Inflexus :cool:
But that was the most important part!

And (c) Inflexus was there from when the rules were created, and ran by everyone. It was let through the first time, gentlemen.

But alas, the rules are far more corporate now. A lot more input has been recieved recently than there was at the begining when they were created.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Forum Volunteer
Since these rules haven't been updated in over five years, I propose a new set of simpler rules that would eliminate infractions (i.e. Person A says he dislikes Christianity, Parson B throws a fit, Moderator C agrees with Person B and infracts Person A) or deletion/locking of threads that a moderator happens to dislike:

1. Respect Individuals: One of the most deplorable debate tactics is an ad hominem (defamation of personal character). Please refrain from personal insults.

2. Ideas are Fair Game: While attacking individuals is banned, debate on morals, economics, spirituality, and ethics are perfectly okay. We recognize that people hold strong opinions, and we encourage healthy debate. If you have a strong opinion, make sure you back it up.

3. No Trolling or Flaming: While active debates are encouraged, please back up your opinions. THis helps differentiate between flaming an idea and sparking actual discussion

Good example: "I disagree with Capitalism for x reason, and for this reason it is an immoral system."

Bad Example: "God-damn commies."

4. Productive Posts Only: Kindly refrain from posting short replies to the effect of "cool."

Good Example:

User A said:
*Well-developed opinion*

User B: Questions or personal interpretations

Bad Example:

User A said:
*Well-developed opinion*

User B: Sick post, bruh

5. Keep on-topic: A thread about tax rates should not become an argument about the morality of religion in public schools, no matter how tangentially related it is. If the topic is different enough, just make a new thread. Just exercise good judgement.

I'm just going to leave this here because the "mature" vs (Immature?) discussion is not a great label I mean I have literally 7 posts here it's not I necessarily know what is going on or what other people that use this site want.. but just it's all kinda "Mature" if I can use that word, whereas sequestering a place away with "Mature" discussion is kinda... leady/baity/// something even if that's not intended with the use of a separate section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom