• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Master Swords Existence and Purpose

• Thread starter 99% ZeldaExpert
  • Start date

99% ZeldaExpert

The Triforce itself cannot judge between good and evil. That is because only the gods can do that.
However, it could not be assumed that only a good person would get their hands on the Triforce.
For that reason, the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane.
It was called the Master Sword, and it is said that only a true hero could use it.

The Master Sword is believed to be the only sword that can kill Gannon/Gannondorf but in this it says the gods commanded the people of Hyrule to make a sword that would repulse evil. With that said, the Master Sword is a human made sword which leads me to wonder why any other human made sword can't be used to kill Gannon/Gannondorf?

Crono

Hylian Rebel
Well, just because a sword is human made doesn't mean it will have the power to kill "Ganon*". And if I recall the only thing that ever killed Ganon was the Silver Arrow, so I think the Master Sword is only meant to repel evil, not destroy it.

Djinn

and Tonic
Exactly, the Master sword was forged to combat evil but it was never necessary to kill Ganon. It is even possible to kill him using the wood sword in LoZ and the Biggoron Sword in OoT. And it was not even used against Ganon in Four Swords Adventures.

The main description given of the master sword is that it "Repels Evil." It has been mentioned a few times in different games.

Link, I have fully restored the power to repel evil to your Master Sword. ...And my ancestors are most satisfied. I shall continue praying to the gods here.
Now that the Master Sword is once again blessed with the power to repel evil, you should be able to break through Ganon's Barrier and enter the tower!
Amazing... The power of the Sols has been transferred to your sword... The guardian deities of my world are on our side, too! You really are the chosen one,Link ... A true hero! As long as you have that sword, you should be able to repel the shadows Zant has spread!"
You got the Master Sword! The legendary blade with the power to repel evil...once wielded by the legendary hero himself!"
The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch.

Whileit is known as the Blade of Evil's Bane, and that evil cannot touch it I cannot think of any time it was specifically mentioned at the tool to kill Ganon. It semes to serve more of a defensive role with the evil repelling quality. However it has been stated that the silver arrows are what is needed to actually kill Ganon. Not the Master Sword.

You are an honest person. I like you. I will give you something important... These are the Silver Arrows. To give Ganon his last moment, you definitely need them! I know I don't quite have the figure of a faerie. Ganon's cruel power is to blame! You must defeat Ganon!"

And in the case of Ocarina of Time the Light Arrow was needed to actually harm Ganondorf. But it could not kill him.

"And here is a weapon [COLOR=#7EE983 ! important][COLOR=#7EE983 ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]that can penetrate the Evil King's defenses... The power given to the chosen ones... The sacred Arrow of Light!!!

Although it did seem to hurt Ganon in OoT he still required sealing and was never killed.

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
Since the light Arrows, Silver Arrows, and the next one in line have deluded the lore of the master sword. I'll just ingnore those for now, but the master sword was blessed by the three goddesses. In turn gives it the power to repel evil. The soul perpose it for the sword to drive out all evil from the land and its source. Aside, the fact that the Master Sword has killed Ganon/Ganondorf twice in (Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess) in those both games the light arrows only stun him mere moments. Its the same in Ocarina of Time where you stun Ganon with the light arrow in order to hit him with the Master Sword.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
Well many can argue that Ganondorf never really "died" in TP and TWW. But we literally see Ganon's body turn to ashes when struck by the Silver Arrow in ALttP and LoZ.

Djinn

and Tonic
Since the light Arrows, Silver Arrows, and the next one in line have deluded the lore of the master sword. I'll just ingnore those for now, but the master sword was blessed by the three goddesses. In turn gives it the power to repel evil. The soul perpose it for the sword to drive out all evil from the land and its source. Aside, the fact that the Master Sword has killed Ganon/Ganondorf twice in (Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess) in those both games the light arrows only stun him mere moments. Its the same in Ocarina of Time where you stun Ganon with the light arrow in order to hit him with the Master Sword.

Although slightly different. In Wind Waker Ganondorf lost the Triforce of Power therefore any sword would work on him just as well since he was at that time an ordinary Gerudo with swords in hand. The Master Sword was no longer necessary to defeat him. And in Twilight Princess Zant was connected to Ganondorf who broke his own neck killing Ganondorf with him. Again the Master Sword was not what actually killed him.

It seems through story and in game the Master sword is most useful against any magic Ganondorf, Phantom Ganon, or Aganihm fires at Link and acts as a perfect defense against evil magics. It can even break through magical barriers as shown in LttP and WW. And has somewhat an ability to remove curses from areas or individuals. But it lacks the ability to actually kill Ganon in any of his forms. Although it can hurt him.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
As Djinn said, the Master Sword can't kill Ganon(dorf) when he has the ToP.
We don't know for certain that the MS was constructed by humans. TP added to that story saying the Sages themselves forged it. If you follow the trends when it comes to the Sages (specifically OoT->SW->FSA->LttP), they certainly would have been much more powerful back when the MS was created than any instances we've seen so far, and quite possibly a completely different race (whether it be Oocca or some form of ancient deity). We'll have to wait for SS to find out the details.

99% ZeldaExpert

Ok I admit that the MS was never specifically used to kill/harm Gannon at all but back to my original question,
We don't know for certain that the MS was constructed by humans. TP added to that story saying the Sages themselves forged it.
The Sages forged the light sword that was thrust into Gannondorf in attempt to kill him. The Sages could not have forged the MS they only give the sword its magical power. In OoT, you were not requiered to have saved any Sages to gain the MS. We also know by a line in my context
the people of Hyrule were told by the gods to make something that would repulse any evil that may kidnap the Triforce: the blade of evil's bane.
Hyrule is a plot of land basically not the entire realm/world of Zelda. Meaning someone in Hyrule made the sword. I'm pretty sure Sages are not from Hyrule nor are Oocca. Basically summing it down to either being made by monster or man. And since no monster, besides Gannon of course, has the intelligence to make such a sword, it only points to a man made sword. Now Gannon/dorf could have made this sword theoretically but the main manufacture of the sword was to kill evil. So a human would have had to forge this sword.
the master sword was blessed by the three goddesses. In turn gives it the power to repel evil.
No where does it say they blessed the sword during its original creation. They may have blessed it in OoT after Link had gathered them but the sword was created before the goddesses came into play.
Its the same in Ocarina of Time where you stun Ganon with the light arrow in order to hit him with the Master Sword
While this is true, that the Arrows were only meant to stun Gannon in order for Link to slash at him with the MS. In belief, the Arrows were used to somewhat, negate, the affects of the ToP.

Which all leads me to this conclusion, the MS is the only thing that can defeat Gannon/dorf as long as the arrows are used to negate the affects of the ToP. Or, the MS original creation has no point at all because the arrows are the only thing that can kill Gannon/dorf.

I'm not saying I'm right or anyone is wrong I'm simply stating my beliefs and mixing them with facts. Please do tell me of anything you think I have missed or miscalculated.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
I'm confused, why are people still continuing to make the mistake by misspelling Ganon? Those that are fortunate enough to have the original US version of LoZ would know of this spelling error, yet it seems newbies make this mistake all the time.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The Sages could not have forged the MS they only give the sword its magical power. In OoT, you were not requiered to have saved any Sages to gain the MS.
そこには、古の賢者達によって造られた 退魔の剣 マスターソードが眠っています
There lies sleeping the blade of demons' bane, the Master Sword, crafted by the ancient sages.
There you will find the blade of evil's bane that was crafted by the wisdom of the ancient sages… the Master Sword.
-Zelda, TP

It was crafted by the Ancient Sages well before OoT, not by the Sages you awaken in OoT.

Hyrule is a plot of land basically not the entire realm/world of Zelda.
I think there are references of the entire world being "Hyrule," but I don't remember where. I do agree, however, that in this case it most likely refers to the Kingdom of Hyrule. It is said to have been left by the Hylians, who we know is a race specific to the Holy Land:
LttP said:
Long before now, a people called the Hylians prospered in this land...

They say that in this country, a few remaining treasures of that people are hidden away...

I've heard that the Master Sword is also one of those, a sword specially forged to oppose those with demonic powers.
Some modification to the story has already occurred in TP with the addition of the sages (when combined with your "I'm pretty sure the Sages are not from Hyrule..." it already contradicts LttP's story), so who's to tell what they'll change in SS? Maybe they'll say that tCitS/Skyloft is part of Hyrule, maybe they'll just 'update' the story, or maybe everything I believe is wrong.

Basically summing it down to either being made by monster or man. And since no monster, besides Gannon of course, has the intelligence to make such a sword, it only points to a man made sword.
Could be a deity or any number of intelligent mythical creatures we have or haven't been introduced to. I'm not really going to continue this conversation much more until we know more about SS. For now, I'll say that occam's razor points slightly toward "man" but again we have no idea the nature of the Sages in SS.

Which all leads me to this conclusion, the MS is the only thing that can defeat Gannon/dorf as long as the arrows are used to negate the affects of the ToP.
What's the point of the arrows in WW? Ganondorf had already lost the ToP by that battle. I think both the MS and Light Arrows are just general anti-evil weapons, the former being more powerful and serving additional purposes (key, time vessel, etc).

Or, the MS original creation has no point at all because the [silver?] arrows are the only thing that can kill Gannon/dorf.
It does seem strange that the people would be told to make a sword that could 'repel' evil when there's also arrows that can kill evil. I'd like to see more backstory for the silver arrows in the future.

99% ZeldaExpert

Ok there is obviously evidence to prove the Sages made the MS and there is some to prove it's not.
I agree with you on the fact that the MS could also be made by a deity or something unknown to us. Hopefully with "Skyward Sword" having the context with swords means we will learn a little more about the subject.
For the record cause I saw that you fixed my error there I did not specify which arrows because of there being multiple types such as the silver arrows the light arrow and the golden arrows. I felt it best not to specify.

On the other note I do apologize if I misspell something like I did with Ganon. I normally check my spelling but miss a few errors here and there that is obviously not the first. Somehow I grew used to spelling Ganon like Gannon mainly because I rarely see his name written correctly. Thanks for all the ideas/facts I really don't have much else to say on the topic atleast until Skyward Sword comes out.

Ok there is obviously evidence to prove the Sages made the MS and there is some to prove it's not.
I agree with you on the fact that the MS could also be made by a deity or something unknown to us. Hopefully with "Skyward Sword" having the context with swords means we will learn a little more about the subject.
For the record cause I saw that you fixed my error there I did not specify which arrows because of there being multiple types such as the silver arrows the light arrow and the golden arrows. I felt it best not to specify.

On the other note I do apologize if I misspell something like I did with Ganon. I normally check my spelling but miss a few errors here and there that is obviously not the first. Somehow I grew used to spelling Ganon like Gannon mainly because I rarely see his name written correctly. Thanks for all the ideas/facts I really don't have much else to say on the topic atleast until Skyward Sword comes out.

99% ZeldaExpert

Like we have shown and stated above, the Master Sword could have and could not have been made by the Sages. Hopefully in Skyward Sword we will see/hear some more info on whether or not they made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom