• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Master Sword Theory

A while back, there was a question on the video mailbag asking about why Link in WW was able to obtain the master sword while OoT Link had to wait and get it as an adult. Axles answer was that OoT Link was not ready, while WW Link was. Here is my theory, correct me if I am wrong, WW takes place on the adult timeline, and Link is 16 in OoT on the Adult timeline. In the WW intro, it is said that boys are dressed in green when they become the same age as the Hero of Time. Because Link is 16 in OoT, that means Link in WW is actually 16. Why does he look so young? It is because of the graphical style of the game. Why are all of the adults taller than him then? I don't know. Probably just the graphics again.

So that is my theory. What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts in the comments.

No, It's the same age as when the hero of time started his journey, so he was twelve. I think it was because WW Link is just so much more BA than OoT Link, and thus he was able to use his astounding amounts of maturity to use the master sword early.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
The reason Link could not go out and take the Master Sword because was because he needed to age in the Sacred Realm to fulfill the prophecy of the Hero of Time.

Rauru said:
The Master Sword is a sacred
blade which evil ones may never
touch....
Only one worthy of the title of
"Hero of Time" can pull it from
the Pedestal of Time....
However, you were too young to
be the Hero of Time....
Therefore, your spirit was
sealed here for seven years.
And now that you are old enough,
the time has come for you to
awaken as the Hero of Time!
The prophecy has little to do with the Master Sword, but actually more do to with the Temple of Time and the prophecy of the Hero of Time. WW Link, the Hero of Winds, has no need to be "ready" to remove the Master Sword from the Pedestal of Time, because a) the Temple of Time is beneath the Great Sea and no longer has the Master Sword inside of it, and b) the prophecy of the Hero of Time has already been fulfilled, because TWW takes place on the AT. The Mater Sword possesses no time travel properties by the time of TWW, so the whole part about aging in the Sacred Realm is null. There is no prophecy that requires age in TWW, so the Hero of Winds can use the Master Sword for his own quest at his age.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
the Temple of Time is beneath the Great Sea and no longer has the Master Sword inside of it ... The Mater Sword possesses no time travel properties by the time of TWW
I agree with the prophecy being what required the HoT to age but not the HoW, but I disagree with what I quoted. I believe that the building you enter at the bottom of the sea was adapted from the Temple of Time and became the new Hyrule Castle when the old one was destroyed. Therefore the ToT still has significance and still has the MS inside of it. I also note that Ganon's Mazoku (all the Darknuts and Moblins) are frozen in time until you pull the MS from the PoT. This is evidence that the Pedestal still maintains its control of the flow of time. It could have frozen Link too, but there was no prophecy, so it didn't happen.

Another argument is that Link proved his worth by climbing to the top of the Tower of the Gods. While the HoT was already destined to wield the MS from birth - to fulfill the prophecy, the HoW was just an ordinary boy. There was no prophecy granting him the sword, so he had to prove himself for it, and was able to use it as soon as he did.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
WW's Link is directly stated to be 12, I believe. So, the 16 thing -- which Link is actually 17 in OoT as an adult, as he was 10 as a child, AoL's Link was 16 -- doesn't have anything. It probably has to do with a number of things, such as that the Master Sword could probably sense it was needed right then and that he wasn't the Hero of Time and didn't need to be a specific age. The second one's probably the biggest thing, though.

Red Link

Sandwhich and Cereal
well the Master Sword was originally called the Skyward Sword then in my theory the sages upgraded the Master Sword

Capitaine

Ray of Silver
Miyamoto stated in a recent interview that Link is 9 and 16 in OoT, but he did not provide a comment on TWW Link (the Toon Link trophy in SSBB says he's 12 in TWW though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom