• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Master Sword. POWER UP?!?

skybird11

state alchemist
we all know in WW that you get the master sword and then it needs to be charged by completing two dungeons. but do these "charges" actually affect the strength of the MS. does it get stronger as you beat each temple or is it always as strong as when you first obtain it?

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I never really thought about that. I thought it was mainly for story-related purposes.

I don't remember if it REALLY gets more powerful, though. I mean, like the difference in damage ratio between the Kokiri Sword and the Master Sword in Ocarina of Time.

I'll try that soon to see if it does a difference and come back with the results later, until then, I guess we'll leave the "power ups" as plot devices.

YOU KNOW: Like everybody below says, its just a plot device

Last edited:
i actually took some time to test this kind of thing for all the Zelda games (though of course not all of them make you have to power up the master sword) and when i got to Wind Waker i found that when you power up the master sword it's no stronger than it was when you first got it

Nicole

luke is my wife
Huh, I never really thought of that, but it really doesn't get stronger. It seems odd that returning the power to the Master Sword wouldn't make it actually deal more damage. The reason Link needed to restore power to the Master Sword was to defeat Ganondorf. If my memory is correct, Ganondorf himself had said that the Master Sword Link had at the time (before the power ups) was depleted of its former power. So, in a way, it did make the Master Sword more powerful, but not against regular enemies.

(TP Spoilers warning)
You could actually compare this to Twilight Princess, when Link retrieves the Sol Spheres and the Master Sword is infused with their light. I had originally thought that because of that, the Master Sword would be more powerful against the enemies in the Twilight. I guess these things were just plot devices/game mechanics rather than an actual upgrade.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I can't be the only person who noticed, upon first drawing the Master Sword in Wind Waker, that it looked really, really off. The wings were all drawn up and it looked so hideously dark. I was actually pretty mad - "THIS ISN'T THE MASTER SWORD, WHAT THE HECK".

I was very happy to see it get charged in the Wind and Earth temples - it made me happy to see the ACTUAL Master Sword again.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Power wise, as everyone said, no. It needed the prayers of the sages to become the "true" Master Sword and have the "power" to repel evil and slay Ganon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom