• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mass Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game Speculation

D

Deleted member 88720

Ever since Breath of the Wild we've had exclusive insight on how vast and huge the world of Hyrule (and beyond) can be. Every one-hundred years or so, a hero is chosen and/or born to save the reincarnation of the Hylia-descendant (Princess Zelda) from the reincarnation of the spiteful Demise (Ganondorf). This hero is destined to fight this villain, and it is never certain who is to come out victorious--

But what of the other races living during that time? Do they twiddle their thumbs and sit on their butts? Since viewing Breath of the Wild and just how competent each of the races seem to be, I think it'd be a perfect chance to create an MMORPG with the various races of Hyrule to choose from with their unique skills and abilities! Below you'd have some examples of the following to select from:

1. Hylian
  2. Rito
  3. Zora
  4. Goron (Male Only)
  5. Gerudo (Female Only)
  6. Sheikah
  7. Humans
I'm leaving Kokiri out of the list because their characteristics don't show them providing much of any fighting-support and would likely be restricted to a "bard" or "healing" class if they were to be included. Furthermore, despite evidence showing that the woodland spirits can move out beyond the Lost Woods and the Great Deku Tree's protection, they are more prone to be playful but vulnerable.

Other races, like the Twili, would be more or less considered an additional playable later on if they added it in during a patch, a downloadable content feature, or an expansion to give an avenue for the Twilit tribe to have some form of protection against the Light Realm in which they were banished from to begin with (thanks to their ancestors). Any others would likely come in from the sea or the ground, or even an uncharted spot in the air. Please don't forget to add a comment on a plausible race you think could be included that wasn't added to the list above!

During a time before the Chosen Hero has arisen (or behind-the-scenes while the Chosen is slumbering), the races of Hyrule would fight against hordes of enemies and explore dungeons to become prime heroes to defend their territories from invasion. As we have been shown by countless eras, there is no shortage of evil nor any resource that evil will not attempt to use to its advantage to overthrow the kingdom and finally claim the Triforce for its own. A land cannot and should not always depend on a solitary being to save the day, and if you think about it, none of the Chosen we have witnessed ever got anywhere on their own; they had help, they had side-quests, and they had other signs of defense (i.e. The Resistance team in Twilight Princess that rose up to assist Hyrule against Zant's overthrowing of Hyrule). There are numerous dungeons to be explored, open-field raids in case the enemies get too ambitious and attempt to attack a main city of one of the races, leaving heroes to scramble to protect their people and merchandise from being ravaged while they shout for contact and aid from their nearby friends throughout the realm. There are so many ideas that can be given to the Player Versus Environment with just how vast the world is becoming, and it would be a waste not to work on it further.

What about Player Versus Player? No problem! Even if you're in the same racial tribe or clan that doesn't mean you always have to be on the same side! Randomly-generated colors (like Splatoon grants) shows playful competitive modes in which you are randomly assigned to teams and pitted against each other in numerous games! To keep any races from having an edge over each other, the abilities the player is granted in Player Versus Environment are locked and they are instead assigned abilities or roles depending on which mini-game they are playing, having several to choose from to queue for and accept. If any changes are to be made later, it's done after the alpha and beta tests to see if players like that style. If players prefer their own abilities, then it's up to the producers to balance out a give-and-take scenario for each team and race that enter into these instanced-events.*

*What about race-specific events? No problem! Rito could easily have a flying race competition, Gorons could dig and harvest the most Bomb Flowers for their resources, Zora can swim up waterfalls or down rivers in a race to the finish! Humans and Hylians are hard to differentiate, but so long as they have skills that are on par with one another, then they might merge to horse-racing or baking competitions (can anyone say Cooking Mama Zelda?).

What about world events? That's easy! A Sheikah Maze crops up off the coast, and players are encouraged to navigate through it as a small team and make it to the end to acquire super-rare and unique items or cosmetics! Additional challenges (such as double-damage or one-heart) could be added on to increase the severity and quality of the experience. Another event could be the appearance of one of the deity dragons (i.e. Dinraal, Farosh, Naydra) and players race to acquire rare items or pieces that they can harvest from that being until it soars up into the heavens and disappears for a time. World events could also include natural disasters, in which players must work together to protect a village or a nearby settlement from a hazard that suddenly crops up (blood moon is the easiest to name off as a 'world event'; a night-cycle period in which increased monster activity and chances for harvesting occurs), or perhaps even a rare merchant makes an appearance in a random spot on the map and is only there for a limited time before they carry on the following day/evening.

I know what you're thinking: classes! Why didn't I include that? Truth be told I had forgotten to but read back over the article and remembered to put it in here after the grandeur of the world-building was out of the way. There are numerous generic classes to choose from, so for the sake of it I'll have you post one that you find would be unique in the comments below (however I think some classes should be race-specific, but not too many; just the one or two with the rest being open). I personally would love a chance to raise a dog at my side as a Hylian or Human Hunter/Ranger, or perhaps utilize magic as a Hylian Naturalist and get a special class-specific Deer Mount! "Bard" would definitely be in the cards, if I had anything to say about it, since every basic race has proven to use an instrument to play music (i.e. Majora's Mask). So many possibilities!

Would this entire MMORPG idea work? If done carefully and properly, I think it could be. We have come a long way from where the games began before I was even born, and I've grown up with the franchise. It'd have a good chance to do well, in light of the other MMOs that are competing for the spotlight at the time being (i.e. Final Fantasy XIV, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars II, Elder Scrolls Online etc.), or it could be a stand-alone release when the others seem to be running out of steam or faltering. This sort of idea makes me incredibly-passionate for the potential of new mass media online games, and the thought of a "Zelda" one being developed truly makes me excited.

What are your thoughts? Rather than a simple "yes" or "no", add a reasoning to your conjectures or opinions! I'm truly interested to see what you all have to say!

Last edited by a moderator:

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I'd love a Zelda mmo. Playing my favorite series with my friends is a dream come true. It's why i think a bit higher of TFH than most. I remember trying to make my own Zelda "DnD" i quote because it was more a branch from the real rules. Never did complete it though cause I tend to star things then forget about them.
Starting with Stats
HP which starts at 12 (3 heart containers) and caps at 120(30 HC)
MP which has the same numbers as hp 12-120
Strength STR would be around 12 give or take and again cap at 120
Agility AGI, Endurance END, Intelligence INT, Perception PER, Charisma CHA

Classes
Warrior +1STR -1INT
Rogue +1AGI -1CHA
Monk +1PER -1END
Mage +1INT -1STR
Healer +1CHA -1PER
Guardian +1END -1AGI

Races
Hylian +1INT -1PER
Kokiri +1CHA -1 END
Goron +1STR -1AGI
Lava Treader: Can walk across lava
Zora +1AGI -1STR
Swift Swim:
Gerudo +1END -1INT
Sheikah +1PER -1CHA
Rito +1AGI -1STR
Flying:

I even made cards for the enemies and items.
Anyway I really like the idea of a multiplayer Zelda in general since I could actually play with you gus or my irl friends live right there.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I honestly cannot discount the possibility of ninty releasing a Hyrule MMO. They've turned to whoring out the Zelda franchise as another one of their soulless cash cows, so might as well. Heck, it might actually be good - the world of Zelda would translate perfectly into an MMO after all - but this is ninty and they'll make it another of their half-arsed borderline incompetent fails with half the content and functionality expected of modern MMOs, and more than likely complete with a ton of grossly exploitative monetization masquerading as fan service.

I'm leaving Kokiri out of the list
Oof. Bad move. You'll be missing out on that lucrative loliphile MMO demographic.

What about Player Versus Player?
HOW BOUT NO!! :gno:

Actually, I think the Hylian Civil War would be a great context in which to set a Zelda MMO. There was no Hero at this time so every player needn't worry about being "The One." All the races were at war which would set the stage for a general conflict. But it was a civil war so one could reasonably expect there to be some cooperation and friendliness going on which would still allow players to group up together in shared towns and instances and PvE areas and not mandate that races and factions be strictly segregated and attack each other on sight.

For a class system, I will always advocate free-form player driven character development. If not out right being able to choose what individual skills to develop to determine one's class, at least do what Guild Wars 2 does and start with basic templates and then allow players to freely shape their class's capabilities through a wide variety of traits, skills, attributes, abilities, and equipment. GW2 allows for tanky rogues, support mages, damage warriors, support warriors, dot rangers, dot rogues, damage rogues, summoner mages, damage mages, tanky mages, control mages, melee damage rangers, tanky melee rangers, support rangers... all depending on a bevy of class choices.

Throwing in the time/space shenanigans the series is known for would allow for appearances from other characters, races and locations from other games to happen, including Link and Zelda from various games. Want Tetra to show up with her pirate crew on Lake Hylia? Just "Oh no!! We sailed into a time vortex/the triforce of wisdom brought us here!!" or something. Want the Hero of Time and the Hero of Winds to meet face to face? Just "Blah Blah time travel Blah Blah..." The game could even expand into Termina, Lybrannya and Holodrum, etc. or even visit other eras of Hyrule from various games - ALttP, LoZ/AoL, Great Sea, etc.

Reactions: Dio
I think that Kokiri could actually be a viable class, if you consider them to be more like a debuff/control type. You could make a lot of passive curse effects and combine them with agro effects to force opponents to attack them. Maybe they have a high miss chance but get debuffed or poisoned when they attack you, and enemies that die near them or while under a curse rise as Stalchildren or Stalfos. So in some ways that's like... a bard, but you can also think of them as a mix of some hex/zookeeper classes, like the Druids and Necromancers of Diablo II fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom