• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Masks?? Are they permanent??

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
As most of you know i am deaf and rely on lip reading but now work have implemented a everyone wear masks so Dizzi cant hear communicate....do you think this is gonna be permanent and Dizzi is gonna be really useless??

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
No. With the amount of resistance people are giving to wearing them in the first place I can’t see them sticking around. Even if that weren’t the case I’d imagine other people like you would cause them to phase out.

Either way you’re not useless. I’m sure they can make an exception for you or at the very least provide accommodations.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I don't think so (and hope not).

Walking around with something that inhibits your breathing can't possibly be healthy for extended periods of time, and the likelihood of the pandemic lasting into next year isn't that high, in my opinion.

With that said, even if it does persist, I'm pretty sure that there will be help for those who need extra workarounds with masks like yourself.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I doubt it. While it's a no doubt still midway through development, I'm confident that one organization or another will produce a vaccine that can eventually be distributed, thus removing the need for masks (at least for now).

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I hope not cuz I can barely last 4 hours in it so it's hampered my ability to look for a full time job (stupid asthma). I do hope it becomes common like in Japan that people wear them when sick so they don't spread their sickness.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
It depends on how long COVID lasts and where you live. If you live in an area with more resistance to masks, they will likely be gone sooner.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Walking around with something that inhibits your breathing can't possibly be healthy for extended periods of time, and the likelihood of the pandemic lasting into next year isn't that high, in my opinion.

People in Asian countries wear masks as courtesy all the time, and so do doctors/nurses/people in the medical field. It's not unhealthy.

And the pandemic isn't going to end in the next few months so it's definitely going into next year. Likely at least mid/late next year. Especially because people don't want to take the proper precautions.

Masks won't be permanent, the virus will eventually have a vaccine and we'll know more about it. But I think the standard of using them while sick isn't a bad one. And personally I may adopt to wearing one more myself even after this because it seems to help with my allergies.

Hopefully once this all ends, facemasks won't be mandatory.

and although i do struggle with some types for various reasons, i hope they won't be considered a 'weird' thing to wear, especially when someone is sick or vulnerable.
i like the aesthetic of some of them too, but that's beside the point :p
plus, stuff like facial recognition software kinda freaks me out.

maybe it's also partly because i don't speak much (and therefore, nobody needs to see my mouth), and i'm shy about showing my face :shrugs:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Nobody really knows how long covid will be around. I don't think it's going to be a permanent thing. But as long as there's no vaccin it'll take a while. In my country it's only limited to public places and not everywhere. I don't think it's going to stay like this forever. But hopefully people will stop being so ignorant and act like they're invincible

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The solution for deaf people is to adopt the air by microclimate helmet and get everyone else to do the same particularly the people who you converse with most. It's a space agey looking mask which has built in ventilation powered by fans and is less uncomfortable and hot than standard masks. You can read lips through it too so it's perfect for deaf people.
660-Screenshot-2020-10-02-at-2.45.36-PM-copy.jpg

Masks are gonna be around for a long time and so is COVID. The Japanese have been wearing them even long before the virus and their country has done very well. Not that that's the only factor but masks help prevent the spreading of particles so to lose the masks completely would be a bad strategy. Changing the type of mask worn though could be a good idea.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
thought we would end this month but now its next month!!! :mad:
i thought i would send a letter to the national papers or our prime minister....
If normal people have difficulty hearing with masks, think about those that rely on lip-reading, extending the mask wearing will make deaf people feel more isolated and lonely and can cause mental health problems because they won't know what’s happening and feel left out. The deaf person has to expend more energy on 'hearing' through the mask making them tired and miserable. I understand that the UK wants to be safe but it is hard as a deaf person trying to work with people wearing masks means I can’t communicate effectively at work, mask wearing stifles work prospects as communication is vital in life, it is not just lip-reading, it is body language, facial expression and tone.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Theres a deaf person I know in richfield that I always say hi to, she worked at the hotel for a while which is how I knew her and the hotel had someone who knew sign language so that's how she got through with a mask

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom