• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Edit: Masked Followers to Invaders

Which of these do you think could be connected/part of the same realm? (select as many as you need)

• Termina

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Lorule

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Twilight realm

• All of the above

• None of them, they are all seperate

• Total voters
After playing through Minish Cap, I chose to chew on this theory separately from my last group of theories, including information that was brought to my attention by GZ Zelda, as well as touching on some additional connections. This is more than just an update, but an expansion.

As I have stated before, The Masked Followers, (from Lorule, A Link Between Worlds) wear masks, to a religious point, and talk about turning into monsters. I had originally thought that the Followers originated from Lorule. Then I came across Mayor Hagen. Hagen has an excess of power, evident not only in his position, but in his creation of the underground bunker, that connects to the school, his office, and the well. Then there is the statue of him, in the school, suggesting some level of veneration, or power. Hagen is obsessed with masks. He displays them in his office, he has a stock of them in his lake side cabin, he even makes a lazy attempt at keeping the library book on the history of masks. Then, as GZ Zelda pointed out:
There is also a consideration that this all takes place before Ocarina of Time, during the Minish Cap era (on the split timeline). These are the sprites representing the monsters being released from the Bound Chest.
6514.png

Pretty mask-looking with their hollow backs and rounded fronts and stylized markings, certainly nothing like the actual monsters in the game.
These mask like monsters/spirits were never resealed. This is where I now believe that the Masked Followers began, shortly after the events of Minish Cap, with Mayor Hagen as the impetus. It is important, though, that we don't see a strong presence of the Followers in Hyrule, so it follows that either the citizens of Hyrule, or the royal family didn't take to the new religion very well. They would have need to find a different place to thrive.

Next, let's look at where else I believe the Masked Followers can be found.

The citizens living in Termina are heavily involved with masks. It is more than just a game mechanic. The people acknowledge the masks, some give masks, and some use masks. Masks are very important to these people. We also know about at least one definitive opening between Termina and the realm of Hyrule. Some have theorized that the stone tower is another one. This also includes the Masked Followers as being one of the groups that may have been involved with creating Majora's Masks. If so, it wouldn't have likely been the lower level members we interact with, during the game, but more radicalized members. The causal connection between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess is stronger than some of the other games, suggesting that the actions of the Hero of Time, in Termina, led to the events in Twilight Princess.

The Twili have a thing for wearing masks, and at this point I think you can see where I am going with this, but there is more. The term "interlopers" suggests that the people were from somewhere else; other than Hyrule (Edit: if you take the english translation as a valid, otherwise everything else still stands). The Twili seem awfully comfortable with the idea of being turned into monsters. I do not think this goes against the theory that the Sheikah were involved with the making of the Fused Shadow. I think it makes the idea stronger, especially if the theory that the Happy Mask Salesman being a Sheikah, or part of a Yiga like splinter group; which is based on his style of dress and abilities, based on Impa, from the same game. He may have even been a member of the Masked Followers, or both. It makes since that people from the Sheikah tribe would be interested in the power of Majora's Mask, especially if it were a splinter group, wanting to weaponize the power.

I think it is easy to see the connection between The Happy Mask Salesman, and the Masked Followers. The mask shop, the obsession with masks, being in possession of powerful masks. What I didn't realize, until recently, is the connections implied by the mask of truth. Not only does the mask show that there was a blending of Sheikah magic/technology with masks, but that the Mask Salesman had casual access to it.

This is the point where the theory hits differently, depending on how you believe the three lands relate, if at all.

If you don't think Termina, Lorule, and the Twilight Realm are connected in any way, then we end up with one story. A religious group, who were never able to find a home, due to their use of monster/evil-spirit infused masks. In one timeline, they joining forces with a Sheikah splinter group, likely trying to use the Triforce to wish for a land of their own, and become branded as Interlopers, then cast into the Twilight prison. In another timeline, they found a way to enter Lorule, and flurished.

I think the stronger narrative involves the idea that the three places are one realm. Just as the realm we find Hyrule in being called the Overworld, it fallows that Lorule is the kingdom, while the Twilight Realm refers to plane of existence. Twilight being between light and dark, the name suggests that realm is located between the Overworld and another. Termina is also described as being like a bus terminal, being located between other realms. Termina also contains triforce imagery, but lacks a Triforce, much like Lorule. Both Lorule and what we see of the Twilight Realm are decaying islands, with void between them. I have theorized that Link preventing the destruction of Termina avoided the Lorule we see, yet we see an even more decayed land when we visit in Twilight Princess. This could be due to a wide range of factors.

The spirits that the Hero of Men defeated, and Vaati released, are said to have nearly caused the world to be swallowed by shadow. This could be dramatic history keeping, which is very possible, or it may be a description of the decay they cause on the lands they reside in. It is a small leap, that the mask spirits erode the land, in exchange for some forms of power. This would mean that by saving Termina from the moon, the decay continued out of check. But that is only one many possible reasons for the decay difference. It could be that the time difference between A Link Between Worlds and Twilight Princess from Ocarina of Time, meaning that Twilight Princess would happen after A Link Between Worlds (still on separate timelines, though).

This creates a more solid narrative, that has far more reaching possibilities.

It starts the same, with a religious group, in search of a home. They find a way into the Twilight Realm, and probably even found Lorule, and eventually Termina. More locations were probably founded, as well, but these are the locations we see in game. Dispite discoving a Triforce in this land, they have seen the struggles in Hyrule, and trust the mask spirits more. It didn't take many wars for the Lorulians to get rid of their Triforce. In both timelines, invaders came from the Twilight Realm, to take Hyrule's Triforce. In one timeline, this was stopped, and led to the restoration of Lorule's Triforce. In the other timeline, the Twilight Realm was sealed off, and treated like a prison.

This not only helps support Lorule's decision to eliminate their Triforce, thinking that they had something else to give them power, but suggest that there is another realm on the other side. Possibly the original home of the Demon Tribe. Possibly the original realm of Demise.

It also makes me want to know what happened to the realm, and the Followers, for the adult timeline. No war to take the Triforce, but no seal on the realm. I have yet to play Spirit Tracks, or Phantom Hourglass, so my speculation about those games are limited.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
They aren't actually called dark interlopers in the Japanese version of the game which is the canon version.They are simply a group of sorcerers who coveted the triforce.

There is never any real evidence pointing of where they came from however there is a Sheikah eye on the twili throne so it's more likely they were of Sheikah origin akin to the yiga clan

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Because it gets written in Japanese lol
The Japanese is then translated into English separately by a localization team who understands the literal meaning of the words but sometimes misses figurative meaning or literary devices
So the Japanese one is canon in Japan

English one in English countries

etc

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
And this is true because?
Because Eiji Aounuma the Japanese director and Shigeru Miyamoto the Japanese producer and their Japanese team, wrote the game in... You guessed it... Japanese. So any translations that deviate from this are actually mistranslated and can give a misleading idea of the lore.

A recent example is where Zelda claims in BoTW that Ganon has given up on reincarnation however in Japanese it is the opposite which might have led people to speculate this was the final version of Ganon and defeating him would mean he wouldn't be back.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
So the Japanese one is canon in Japan

English one in English countries

etc
No
It gets mistranslated sometimes. So the original writing is canon, because that was the developer intent

For example in elden ring ranni's ending has two completely different meanings in English vs Japanese
In Japanese it sounds like a good ending where people can be free from the influence of the golden order but in English they make it sound like a bad ending without hope etc

Reactions: Dio

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
No the original language is canon. It's like saying if the original Hebrew Bible said that murder is wrong and the English translation said it was good that murder is canonically good in the English world
Off topic but mistranslations of the bible are actually (probably incorrectly) treated as canon in a lot of denominations loool

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Off topic but mistranslations of the bible are actually (probably incorrectly) treated as canon in a lot of denominations loool
Oh I know. The word Hell for instance is never mentioned in the original Hebrew text but about four different Hebrew words each having a different meaning are in fact translated to hell in the King James version.

They aren't actually called dark interlopers in the Japanese version of the game which is the canon version.They are simply a group of sorcerers who coveted the triforce.

There is never any real evidence pointing of where they came from however there is a Sheikah eye on the twili throne so it's more likely they were of Sheikah origin akin to the yiga clan
Yet, I say "Interlopers," and you know what I am talking about. It is good to keep in mind that the Japanese version doesn't use the term to identify the group of people. But, we don't need to get pedantic, and ignore the theory, for an argument over semantics. Whether the group in question were officially called Interlopers as an official group identification, in universe, or just a description; everyone knows who we are talking about, and the theoy is unchanged, either way.

As far as the origion, I did forget about the eye on the throne, but I do point to the eye on the fused shadow, the Twili's use of masks, their comfort in turning into monsters, the connection that the Mask of Truth suggests between the groups in question, and the similarities of lands in question (in name as well as in form).

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
make of it what you will, but it's definitely noteworthy to consider what the country of origin of a media said about it's own story first, especially if the english version is noticeably different (not for this case but just in general)
I'm mainly just surprised that a AAA studio would have an error like that in translation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom