1. Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.
    Dismiss Notice

Masculinity Viewed as a Societal Issue

Discussion in 'Mature Discussion' started by A Link In Time, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:52 AM.

1. A Link In Time

A Link In Time Break the Ice! ZD Champion

Rupees:
    ◊12,117
    Something that's become prominent in recent years, especially with the Me Too Movement is more and more people saying that masculinity promotes bad behavior in men. The latest short film from Gilette has garnered some controversy on YouTube regarding this issue.

I'm tired of people and ads like this stereotyping men as sex animals who only think with their penises and need to be reprimanded to get a hold of their senses. The vast majority of men only engage in sexual intercourse after receiving consent.

The bigger issue here is the implication that there is something wrong with manhood as it stands. That's exactly the opposite of the truth. Men from single mother households are more likely to commit acts of violence.

https://www.fatherhood.org/fatherhood-data-statistics

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2001/apr/05/crime.penal

I want to see less talk about why masculinity is such a problem in our society and more talk about how to keep families together. That's the major issue at hand.

What are your thoughts on all this?

Turo602 and Castle like this.
  2. Dizzi

Dizzi magical internet cat.... ZD Champion

Rupees:
    ◊5,317
    men be men women be women kids be kids everybody stop being stupid!!

3. Spiritual Mask Salesman

Spiritual Mask Salesman ~ Deus' Pug Smuggler ~ ZD Champion

Rupees:
    ◊5,924
    When you see men in high positions doing bad things, that is a minority, they don't represent every man. Like you said, we aren't all sex crazed, we don't all force ourselves onto women.

4. beste-spellen

beste-spellen

Rupees:
    ◊238
    Cannot agree more. Although the #metoo hype seems to be less than it was a couple of months ago, it escalated from addressing a valid issue to something being misused to draw attention and mock on almost anything masculine.
    Men and women are different and not everyone seems to want to acknowledge this. Men have the right to drink beer and watch sports, women have the right to do make-up and chitchat a lot with other women. In fact, everyone has the right to do anything* they want, even if it does not fit the stereotypes. But I really hate how people keep on saying that
    Because it is not.

* Anything that is not illegal, prosecutable, violent, misuse, etc.

Castle likes this.
  5. Castle

Castle Ch!ld0fV!si0n

Rupees:
    ◊7,474
    This nonsense came about as a result of the uninhibited rise of so-called "progressives" otherwise known as "social justice warriors" and the like who fancy themselves "liberal" and are anything but that.

The simple thing is, these people are just another brand of punk who act all counter-culture and disruptive, disseminating new "ideas" that they try to make out as clever but are really just meant to tick people off and cause problems. Sure, if these twits had their way, they would have masculinity suppressed in society and completely dominate culture themselves...

...but getting their way is exactly what every other punk before them could have ended up doing as well, but nobody ever lets them. These punks never get their way because their way is stupid and the vast majority of humankind just has too much sense to go along with it.

But that doesn't mean that these punks should be dismissed. There are real concentrated efforts to enforce rules and procedures in society to suppress masculinity. Just recently the American Psychiatric Association "officially" labeled "traditional" masculinity as "harmful."

So think twice if your parents are sending you to a shrink or if you're a parent thinking about sending your kid to a shrink.

Sadly, there are plenty of other examples.

At the end of every day, there is always some punk trying to get one over on everyone just minding their own business. Whether you're a woman being told to shut up and get back in the kitchen, or a black being told you're not welcome, or whatever your particular case may be, you - whoever you are - are going to have to put up with this sort of thing from somebody.

Guys are no exception.

And we're getting this treatment that others have been subjected to for ages because we have ceded our cultural dominance over society. It was always going to come to pass that by granting others more share of society's influence and decision making, guys were going to end up rendering themselves vulnerable to the whims of disruptive punks. No one bossed us around when guys were the only ones running things (except other guys), but other people rightfully demanded their fair share of their society, and sharing the world means having to put up with bothersome pests.

We all gotta deal, and this is just more to have to deal with. In the end, putting up with this sort of harassment and attempts to undermine only makes us stronger.

I do fear, however, that if governments ever do decide to wage a serious social war on masculinity, western society will find itself reversing all the gains it has made in the last century as soon as enough guys have finally had it and decide it's time to take back control of society by force.

We've already experienced the gentle pushback by way of the election of President Trump. And yeah, no matter how stricken you are by it, this is gentle compared to what could happen...

Then women and everyone else can be reminded what real oppression is like. It would be a shame if it comes to that. It would be the fault of a few of society's rejects and everyone else who stood by and did nothing to stop them to set human progress back so far.

6. Lilith2

Lilith2

Rupees:
    ◊283

This happened recently, what are you dears opinions on this supposedly "woke" video? It sure seems to be a sign of the times.

7. Jimmu

Jimmu Administrator Staff Member ZD Champion Administrator

Rupees:
    ◊28,102
    I honestly can’t see the issue with this commercial. A friend posted on Facebook that “Gilette isn’t great for people with sensitive skin after all” and I’d have to agree.

I think the issue isn’t masculinity itself, it’s some negative/toxic behaviors that many people consider to be part of masculinity. I think the message is that men can still be masculine while rejecting those behaviors.

Obviously things such as expectations of men to not show their emotions, and attitudes of some men that believe it’s appropriate to do things like cat call random women plus normalize harassment and assault are harmful and I doubt any reasonable person would argue against that. These kinds of things are the actions that society should be disassociating from masculinity, and I think that’s the main message. Not that masculinity as a whole is a bad thing. People should be able to express themselves as they like so long as they’re not harming others.

8. Castle

Castle Ch!ld0fV!si0n

Rupees:
    ◊7,474
    I think Gillette is desperate for attention, hence the gross virtue signaling.

Nobody is going to shame a real man into behaving a certain way.

The exception I take to it is to the "you're bad and you should feel bad" approach that these punks I mentioned previously routinely employ. Guilt tripping is grossly manipulative, and only chumps fall for it.

There is nothing wrong with urging others to be respectful. A real man is respectful. A decent person is respectful, period.

But portraying an entire gender as cartoonishly misogynistic dunderheads and mindlessly robotic nitwits parroting a cliche phrase nobody ever used unironically isn't something that anyone with any shred of self respect is going to receive well.

It's the same as a certain failed two-time presidential candidate's use of the term "deplorables" to refer to her arch rival's constituents. "... a basket of deplorables." She says, with the implication being, "You don't want to be a deplorable, do you?" That separates everyone in to one of two camps. Deplorable. Or With HER.

Intriguing how those same constituents refer to themselves affectionately as "deplorables" now.

Of course, let us go ahead and take a look at the hypocrisy inherent to this issue now. Close your eyes with me and imagine if the commercial was made for another gender.

*ahem*

[Commercial shows women being weak. Clueless. Ineffectual. Cue footage of women struggling to open jars, burning the pot roast, unable to figure out which cable plug goes where, lost and confused in the middle of a hardware store isle until being condescendingly rescued assisted by the strong attractive salesman, and having an emotional cry while sitting on the toilet...]

[Then the commercial goes on to imply that women don't have to be like that, by showing a woman taking charge in an office meeting by condescendingly telling her male coworkers "I'm strong!" and strolling confidently down the hardware isle and effortlessly picking out the exact tool she needs while proceeding to then use that tool to single handedly fix a toilet.]

The message, of course, being the same, but instead of it saying "You don't want to be one of those dumb jerkass misogynistic pricks do you? Here, let us show you how to be a 'real' man," it's "You don't want to be one of those stupid, weak, helpless women do you? Here, let us show you how to be a 'real' woman."

Does that sound sexist to anyone else?

9. Spirit

Spirit ZD Legend

Top Poster Of Month

Rupees:
    ◊49,551
    Honestly... that whole ad could be a work of genius.

Exec 1: Hey everyone, we need to get people talking about the brand again, we need an ad to push us into focus. Ideas?

Exec 2: Well, that woke stuff is pretty popular at the moment... why don't we ride that wave?

Exec 1: Brilliant!

That's how this whole thing feels to me. It feels like clever marketing and the current social climate is working EXACTLY how they wanted through social media etc.

I can honestly see the side of clever marketing more than Gillette getting 'woke'.

It also kind of reminds me of an ad I saw a year or so ago reminding people that it isn't okay to rape people.

What a fantastic time to be alive...

Deus and DekuNut like this.
  10. beste-spellen

beste-spellen

Rupees:
    ◊238
    Except when it backfires. Gillette is a brand aimed at men, men buy Gillette because of it being a manly brand and accept the surplus on the selling price of those razors. if they disagree with the contents of this message - which is quite likely - they may not buy those razors anymore.

[women-unfriendly]However, most women may do grocery shopping for their men, maybe women agree with the message from the ad and buy more Gillette razors instead[/women-unfriendly]

^Me uses a shaver instead of razors.