• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Marvel or DC?

Marvel or DC Comics?

• Marvel!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DC!

• I like them both.

• I don't care for comics and what is this

• Other (Please Specify)

• Total voters

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
This thread kind of does what it says on the tin. Do you prefer the comics/stories/movies of the Marvel Comics francises or those of their DC Comics rivals?

For reference:

Marvel Heroes
  • Captain America
  • Thor
  • Iron Man
  • Spider Man
  • Deadpool
  • Hulk
  • X-Men (incl Wolverine)
  • Fantastic Four
  • Doctor Strange

DC Heroes
  • Superman
  • Batman
  • Green Lantern
  • Aquaman
  • The Flash
  • Green Arrow

D

Deleted member 14134

You forgot to list female thor and african american homosexual spiderman under marvel. Anyways Batman is my all time favorite but I think as a company I prefer marvel more.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Marvel is infinitely better. Their characters are much more creative and interesting. An alien who can fly and run really fast and is bulletproof? Wow, so creative. A man with claws who can heal and has a skeleton laced with a powerful metal? Still not overly creative, but much better anyway.

I've never been a huge fan of DC Comics. My favourite hero from them is Batman, and he's not even a superhero; he's a rich guy who wears a mask and punches stuff while driving a cool car. Marvel's got heroes with greater power and better origins. A geek who gets bitten by a genetically enhanced spider and gains spider powers from it? Cool! A guy who has a tad too much exposure to gamma radiation and, as a result, turns into a large uncontrollable beast with the strength to destroy almost anything? Awesome! A man who builds an extremely advanced suit of armour out of his own house that has flying powers, superhuman strength, and a complete weapon system? Holy ****! A team of people with mutations that cause them to have unique superpowers? Hell yes!

As amazing as the Dark Knight trilogy was, Marvel also has much better movies.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I have nothing but respect for Marvel Comics. I think its heroes are great, its stories compelling, and its overall milieu to be impressive.

That said, I just enjoy DC a lot more. Aside from Spider-Man, all of my favorite super heroes and villains are to be found in DC. My favorite writers and artists are DC writers and artists. I enjoy DC lore more than Marvel lore. The list goes on.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Growing up, I kind of liked Spider-man, but I'm partial to Superman and Batman now. Superman is sort of an American mythology, and by now he feels ancient.

Batman is my favorite superhero. "Favorite" isn't necessarily the right term, since I honestly don't care about comic books and superheroes for the most part. Still, the movies (1989, Begins, TDK), games (Arkham), and graphic novels (The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween, The Dark Knight Returns, Arkham, etc.) I'm familiar with are amazing properties. I like what little I've seen of the cartoon as well. I love the Batman films like I love the Star Wars films or any other movie--I forget they're based on comic books. Heck, I'd love the character based on the Elfman theme alone. All of this helps make the character more aesthetically interesting to me. But he's also psychologically interesting.

I like the original Spider-man and X-men movies (1 & 2), and REALLY enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk in spite of not caring at all about the character, but otherwise, I don't get the appeal of most of the Marvel properties.

I think if you don't care about comic books, DC can still have a huge impact on your life. Marvel? I didn't even know who Iron Man was before the movie came out, and I probably could have gone the rest of my life never knowing and been just fine. Same for Spider-man and the X-men--they're okay, but not the same caliber in my book.

But again, I just don't care about comics. Batman's the only superhero I'm really interested in right now. And since I've heard Raimi's interpretation of Parker is all wrong and the new, obnoxious one is more accurate, I don't think I can even say I care about Spider-man anymore (though I swear the cartoons I watched as a kid were far closer to Raimi's interpretation).

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Marvel is infinitely better. Their characters are much more creative and interesting. An alien who can fly and run really fast and is bulletproof? Wow, so creative. A man with claws who can heal and has a skeleton laced with a powerful metal? Still not overly creative, but much better anyway.

Guy takes serum and becomes super? Wow, how creative. Not to mention a handful of DC characters have been ripped off by Marvel over the years too. *cough* Thanos *cough* I also like how some people seem to forget which era some of these superheroes were created in... So yes, alien from another planet with superpowers was creative over 75 years ago. That's not to say the character remains as primitive as his beginnings, obviously, he has since been given much needed depth. Do your homework.

That aside, I like both universes a whole bunch. Though, I'd give DC an edge for having Batman and Superman, two of the most iconic, charismatic, and enduring characters ever. Especially Batman who has been blessed with outstanding stories, iconic rogues gallery, great films, cartoons, and video games. Honestly, there is no other character who can outmatch what I achieved. It's quite impressive given that's only one character but moving on, let's compare films. People like to say that Marvel rules in this department and while I do commend Marvel for utilizing multiple properties and creating a universe, having a quantity of films doesn't exactly make them great. A lot of their films are very average and some even terrible. So maybe "rule" isn't the right word... but they do offer more to watch than DC even if it's not always up to the quality of something like The Dark Knight or Watchmen.

Now if anyone is ruling anything, that's DC in the animation department. Marvel may have had X-Men and Spider-Man in the 90s and later, a couple of good shows that ultimately didn't last, but none of that compares to Batman: The Animated Series and the rest of the DCAU. Which made it even more shameful when shows like Legion of Superheroes and Young Justice got cancelled. Their animated movies have also been very impressive and much more consistent than Marvel's line of animated films which have been quite poor as of late. Now when it comes to video games, it's kind of the same situation with the films. Marvel has more variety but the Batman Arkham franchise is much greater in quality than any Marvel game.

Overall, I enjoy the characters, the movies, the stories, TV shows, and video games of both companies but like I said before, I give DC the slight edge for being the home of my top 2 favorite superheroes.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I love them both, but I'd have to say I prefer Marvel. At least with Marvel, there isn't one superhero permeating nearly everything.

Looking at you, Man of Bats.

man-of-bats,-first

Oh man I'd LOVE Man of Bats to be more present in the DC Universe - one of my favorite characters from Batman, Incorporated.

:bleh:

I prefer DC's comics generally over Marvel; Marvel has a sort of house style that makes all of their books feel roughly similar; they have the same half-serious tone that is effective, but makes for a lack of variety in their line. DC, meanwhile, has all sorts of genres represented. You've got your detective series (Batman), your adventure serials (Green Arrow primarily), space cop dramas (Green Lantern books), straight up comedy books (Harley Quinn), standard cape and cowl superhero fare (Superman), neo-mythological epics (Wonder Woman and everything Grant Morrison writes)... a lot of great stuff that feels different from everything else in the line.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think Marvel has the more interesting line-up of characters, but DC comics are written better on average. So which one do I prefer...

I'd go with Marvel in the end. When it comes to DC, 95% of what I like about them is just Batman, whereas I'm more interested in a variety of Marvel characters, Iron Man in particular being my favourite superhero. Comparing the Justice League with Avengers, the latter just has so much more likeable faces for me (if you can call Tony Stark 'likeable') and I enjoy the cross-overs with X-Men too. There's just a lot more Marvel that I like than DC, so in the end I pick Marvel.

I had to think on it for a while, but I eventually decided that Marvel still holds the best amount of entertainment for me.

I think it applies to a lot of today's modern "superhero" audience when I say that many viewers aren't "comic book fans" in the traditional sense, myself included. I never had a DC comic book subscription when I was younger, and I never actually read any DC media until an issue of Batman Beyond was given to me at a later age. What I did have growing up, however, were Spiderman and X-men comics, both of which are consequentially my favorite Marvel universe franchises. I remember being overjoyed to read both of those when they came in the mail (The two of those on top of various Archie series along with Nintendo Power were the longest subscriptions I ever had), and probably a huge reason why I love the Sam Raimi Spiderman movies along with a good many of the X-men films. But as far as actual comics are concerned, that's all I ever had. So it's kind of hard to judge DC when the inherent bias is there.

So I actually just look at what's most in the public eye today, which of course is the various pieces of film out of each company that we get on a yearly basis. As I said before, I thought the Sam Raimi Spiderman movies were awesome when I was a kid, but recently (just finished last week, actually) I re-watched them to see if they were truly great movies, or if I just remembered them being good. I was really happy to find out that I still greatly enjoyed all three movies, and that they stand on their own without my bias in favor of the Spiderman character itself. But what really threw me for a loop was just how good Spiderman 2, and to a lesser extent Spiderman 3, are in their own right. They're just so good from a character-development point of view, especially Harry Osborn through all three films and Dr. Octopus in the second one. It's for this reason on top of others that I consider the Raimi films vastly, vastly superior to the garbage Spidey reboot films we've gotten recently. But I digress, it's not of much consequence when pitted against Marvel; point being, I think there's a strong case to make that Marvel movies, especially Spiderman 2, can more than hold their own against the heavy-hitters that DC has delivered with the likes of Batman and his multiple cinematic ventures.

It's also worth noting that while X-men had FAR more ups and downs than Spiderman did, it still had some excellent movies as well, my favorites being First Class and Days of Future Past. But apart from Spiderman and X-men, I'm honestly not a fan of the rest of Marvel's heroes. They're not BAD by any means, but the only one I'm entertained by is Iron Man, almost exclusively due to the remarkable acting ability of Robert Downey Jr.. But I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, in the event that I make judgement based solely on media I've experienced, and that I think a number of Batman movies are better than anything Marvel that isn't Raimi Spiderman and X-men, it becomes a matter of Batman vs Spiderman/X-men, as I think the Superman movies, especially Man of Steel, were far away from a quality standpoint from the likes of Spiderman 2, Days of Future Past, and The Dark Knight.

So that brings up the Batman movies themselves, which I also think are excellent. Burton's Batman and Batman Returns are far better to me than many of Marvel's modern movies ranging from Thor to Captain America, and I think those two alone would warrant a great deal of thought when I finally make a decision (Batman Forever and Batman and Robin never appealed to me, and having re-watched them along with the Raimi Spiderman trilogy recently, I can confirm that I don't think I'll ever like them). But then you have the Nolan trilogy, which I think is probably the greatest superhero film trilogy of all time. This is especially true with The Dark Knight, which I'm sure many would agree is the single best superhero movie of all time in a lot of ways. I just love this trilogy so much, it contents very tightly with my childhood love of Spiderman and X-men despite my nostalgia for the latter.

I do eventually conclude that Marvel as a whole has offered better entertainment for me, although I can hardly say that my personal opinion is completely educated as to what DC offers in its various forms of media. But as it is, I do like Marvel a bit more.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I like both but I enjoy Marvel more because I like all of their franchises and as for DC I only know Batman, Superman and Green Arrow.

Magatha

Magatha
I actually made this exact thread here a few years ago.
For movies, I prefer Marvel.
For actual reading material, I prefer DC.

There is no denying that Marvel has put out quite a few amazing movies in recent years, but I have always been a huge DC fan. I grew up on the Justice League and Teen Titans. I have a huge collection of several DC series. Also, I think people tend to forget that Vertigo is actually a branch of DC, so Alan Moore's stuff like V for Vendetta, Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, that's all DC too. Plus, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Fables and a bunch of other awesomesauce.

I would love to read some Marvel stuff, but I really don't know where to begin, what's good... Any recommendations from the Marvel book fans for a good storyline to introduce myself to the universe?

Definitely DC, but I think they need to step it up on their movies, Marvel is really cool and all, but I like DC more. I do like Spiderman though. ;) My top five favorite DC heroes are, Batman, Superman, Flash, Green arrow, and Speedy. :)

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Tough choice. I've always been a big fan of Marvel, especially X-Men. The movies kinda ruined them, though. Still, I'll go with Marvel. Even though when purposed with the Marvel vs. DC question, I'll always go with DC. As much I love Captain America, no one in either universe can beat Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom