• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mario Kart 8 Discussion Thread

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Thursday is here, and the DLC has been released! Who else has played it and what do you think? I personally LOVE it! I love the Hyrule Castle track with rupees instead of coins (though I didn't manage to unlock the secret passage that first time, hope to do so eventually), love the dragon track (I'm a huge fan of dragons), the dirt bike track was great fun to do jump boosts on. I really enjoyed the other tracks as well, but those three immediately stood out to me :D

I think the DLC got way too much hype than it deserved. There was some good content and all, but I just don't think it was worth the wait. The thing that stood out to me the most was the Retro courses, they were good, but with the other courses... I would of preferred it if it stayed within the realm of Super Mario to be honest. I do however praise the Blue Falcon kart, I think it's got really good speed and drifting ability.

The DLC has got some good stuff up for grabs, but overall I think it's a big, fat meh. I won't be getting that hyped for the 2nd DLC pack, unless it gets some good retro tracks or Karts.

I have and it's amazing. Link's probably gonna be the character I'll play as the most along with Cat Peach. As for the new tracks, they're awesome. The Hyrule Castle course is easily the best one, imo.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I have and it's amazing. Link's probably gonna be the character I'll play as the most along with Cat Peach. As for the new tracks, they're awesome. The Hyrule Castle course is easily the best one, imo.

You're not the only one, I did the whole Hyrule set with Link, the master bike, tires and glider, even though some other combo would probably give better stats. I just want to play as Link from now on :P

i just got it. the only meh track was the excite bike track. I like what they did with the Hyrule track, changing the coins into rupies and other zelda sound efects when racing. the best track IMO is the FZero track. but the only thing i don't get is the sound effect for link's horn. it dosent sound .. zeldaly.

Last edited:
The DLC is definitely worth the price, but I feel the tracks are a bit on the easy side. Mute City and Ice Ice Outpost were the only courses that somewhat challenged me on my first try, and I've already gotten used to them.

That said, the DLC is worthwhile in other ways; I love how faithful Mute City and Hyrule Circuit are to F-Zero and Zelda, respectively. Also, the music on Dragon Driftwood is perfect. It sounds like a Chinese New Year celebration and the scenery certainly matches.

I think this pack should keep me interested for a month or so, but with Smash Bros. releasing in a week, the time for pack two to release will fly by.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Mute City and Hyrule Circuit are fantastic tracks. Great visuals and music, and their track design is as good as any other. Dragon Driftway is a cool track too, and Excitebike Arena is nice fun. Ice Ice Outpost, however, is rather forgettable; there's nothing interesting about it.

I question their decision to have SNES Rainbow Road again. We just had that return in Mario Kart 7 and there's nothing outstanding about it here; the remix isn't as good, the enhanced visuals don't add much and playing on it generally isn't as fun as before, partly due to the effect of the Thwomp's being ridiculously amplified. Wario's Gold Mine from Mario Kart Wii is a fun track I have no problem with returning, but I can't say the same with Yoshi's Circuit from Double Dash (which was in Mario Kart DS as well). Nothing exciting about it and I would have preferred the DS Rainbow Road or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom