• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mario Kart 8 Discussion Thread

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
[snip gif]

luigi is so damn evil!
Wow, that's one of those gifs where you could watch it a hundred times and laugh hard every single time. Caption Contest material.

I was just on RR trying to figure out the fastest route through the twisted two-track section. Fun fact: spend too long in a Time Trial and you lose, with a total time of 9:59.999 (lap times 3:19.999, 3:20.000, 3:20.000; probably would change if you complete one or two laps). Still didn't figure out the fastest route. I was onto something though... you can start on the left raised track, turn the corner, drop off the left to the other track, and just drive straight, dropping back onto the first track. Hardly any turning at all. That also means no boosts though, so idk if it's faster.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
There are a few things I'd like to know about Mario Kart 8 compared to the previous (console) game...

• Rubberbanding--Getting knocked out of a high-ranking spot by an item at a disadvantageous time. Does MK8 suffer from this as much as previous installments?
  • Music Box--New ability that plays a tune to destroy nearby items[?]. Does this appear around the same time as a Blue Shell?
  • Anti-Gravity mechanics--Allows you to hover on certain areas, such as walls, ceiling, etc. Is this as easy to control as they made it seem in the previews?

I'm not planning on getting Mario Kart 8 anytime soon, personally, but if the pros outweigh the "cons" (or rather, some of my preconceived concerns) then it's possible that I'll pick it up along with a Wii U in the future.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
There are a few things I'd like to know about Mario Kart 8 compared to the previous (console) game...

• Rubberbanding--Getting knocked out of a high-ranking spot by an item at a disadvantageous time. Does MK8 suffer from this as much as previous installments?
  • Music Box--New ability that plays a tune to destroy nearby items[?]. Does this appear around the same time as a Blue Shell?
  • Anti-Gravity mechanics--Allows you to hover on certain areas, such as walls, ceiling, etc. Is this as easy to control as they made it seem in the previews?

I'm not planning on getting Mario Kart 8 anytime soon, personally, but if the pros outweigh the "cons" (or rather, some of my preconceived concerns) then it's possible that I'll pick it up along with a Wii U in the future.

• yes. 1st place + 1 green shell => 6th place or worse.
  • no. it's pretty rare. so when you do get it, you just hang onto it the whole race and never get any other items, making that race pretty boring. I usually end up getting mine destroyed by lightning after hanging onto it for a lap or so. (can one destroy lightning if one has lightning-fast reflexes?) only actually destroyed 2 or 3 spinies so far. oh and to answer a related question, yes, spinies always come when you're going over a jump so lakitu has to catch you. and lightning always comes as soon as you get a good item.
  • yeah. transitions are kinda tough and you want to tilt your head a bit, but 'down' is always toward the road so you just drive normally. I think the reason the transitions are tough is because it bases 'down' on where your kart is, but of course you're always looking a bit ahead, so 'down' isn't the same on a twist. I'm sure it'd be just as difficult if they moved 'down' up ahead though.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Protip: You don't even need to do 50cc and 100cc. Whatever you get on 150cc translates down to the others. (100 translates down to 50 too). Mirror Mode is separate though.

Woah, really? No matter, I need early practice on these tracks anyway. :P

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
morton_koopa_jr_cycle_by_hoekkadoogen-d45seo4.png

mfw one of my least favorite drivers is probably one of the best (the other two being bowser and wario who are even bigger thus even less visibility)

As the drivers get heavier, speed increases at twice the rate that acceleration decreases. Then you can easily make up for the accel loss with kart parts such as Landship and Roller. I might consider making my mii really big so it'd classify as heavyweight.

Just spent like 3 hours trying to *** star cup. Two more to go.

...then ***'d shell cup on my first try.

...and leaf cup too. So there, got *** on every cup, every class. Staff ghosts, here I come!

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
[*]Rubberbanding--Getting knocked out of a high-ranking spot by an item at a disadvantageous time. Does MK8 suffer from this as much as previous installments?

It takes 2nd place to MKW in this regard.

[*]Music Box--New ability that plays a tune to destroy nearby items[?]. Does this appear around the same time as a Blue Shell?

1) No.

2) Even if it did, you have a very low chance of getting it in first place.

[*]Anti-Gravity mechanics--Allows you to hover on certain areas, such as walls, ceiling, etc. Is this as easy to control as they made it seem in the previews?

Nothing to really control. It's automatic. Just keep in mind that when you bump into people in anti-gravity mode, you both get a boost.

As the drivers get heavier, speed increases at twice the rate that acceleration decreases. Then you can easily make up for the accel loss with kart parts such as Landship and Roller. I might consider making my mii really big so it'd classify as heavyweight.

Except when you're playing MKW or MK8 where you are CONSTANTLY getting hit with items with little chance to defend yourself, speed means almost nothing.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Are there no advanced staff ghosts? If not, then I beat the game. *** everything, 90 stamps. 2.5 days.

nvm forgot I need 10k coins. only have like 2300 >.<

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
TheseAgreeableDragon.gif

evil luigi cannot be stopped!

Also, Mario Kart 8 boosted Wii U sales by 666%. This game is pure evil.

If people in the mushroom kingdom starts to go missing.. then we have a suspect ( PSST Nintendo can you make a game with this Idea?)
[video=youtube_share;jGg3QzH4aiY]http://youtu.be/jGg3QzH4aiY[/video]

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It's also the second-best selling game of the week, behind only Watch Dogs. What's notable about that is that Watch Dogs was released on 5 platforms, whereas MK8 is a Wii U exclusive.

ieWvNy6maDnBU.gif

GAF has been on top form with these gifs. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom