• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mario Kart 8 Discussion Thread

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
IGN says there's four games to choose from. Gamespot says there's 10. Anyone know who's right?

It depends on the region. I haven't heard any word about it coming to Australia, but I sure hope it does. I could use a download of New Super Mario Bros. U.

EDIT: All is good, Nintendo Australia confirmed via twitter we get a choice of 1 in 10 games. Body prepared.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Offering a game for free that is no longer selling well to give a new product more value, instead of lowering the price and thus cutting profit, is much better business. So good decision Ninty! MS did the same. Sony not so much, but then they don't exactly have to. :P

Also, that Mario hat shall be fine. Even if I didn't have a Wii U, I would buy that bundle.

The hype train is real. I can't wait to play this game in a month. I would have preferred separate battle stages, but since the last few games haven't brought anything special, I don't mind duking it out on altered versions of the race tracks.

The only bad thing about this game like every console Mario Kart since Double Dash is the inclusion of baby characters. Why Nintendo, why?!

Pink Gold Peach... Seriously? Nintendo couldn't of picked someone else in the Super Mario Universe other than a re-skin of an existing character? How dull...

Also free game when you register Mario Kart 8!? Well that will grab alot of attention, you can't say no to free stuff after all.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
More from our friends at GameXplain.

[video=youtube;toPUanhUJrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toPUanhUJrY[/video]

[video=youtube;mG7TPjG11Wk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG7TPjG11Wk[/video]

[video=youtube;ydIVgCcuYCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydIVgCcuYCw[/video]

the new Bowers castle looks wiked. and the new Rainbow rd looks awesome as well being that its a space station as well ...so psyched for this game.

a hype train.jpg

Dan

The hype train is real. I can't wait to play this game in a month. I would have preferred separate battle stages, but since the last few games haven't brought anything special, I don't mind duking it out on altered versions of the race tracks.

The only bad thing about this game like every console Mario Kart since Double Dash is the inclusion of baby characters. Why Nintendo, why?!

I feel you, I've just been catching up with all the Mario Kart news, the graphics, track design and gameplay look amazing, and that orchestra music gives me girl wood, but Nintendo is really lacking with the character roaster in their Mario kart franchise lately; I've been playing 7 again which I found pretty meh when I first purchased it, but loving it now, that game had an odd cast of characters, for example Queen Bee, because everyone said to themselves when encountering her in galaxy, "Now that's a character I want to play in Mario Kart". I'm not sure why they don't dip into characters from many of the spin-off Mario franchises, plenty of diversity and great character design to choose from in those games, perhaps it would alienate fans of the core franchise?

Regarding the last three character slots, before the characters had been revealed, we all knew one of the slots was going to be a mii, but I was hoping for Diddy and some new character we hadn't seen before... but not another baby, two was enough, four was taking the piss, but five is taking the cake, pissing on it, and giving it back, as you all know I hate babies in reality as much as fictional game worlds, I'm known to lash out on babies in public and throw them off bridges, I'm not going to be happy when a baby character beats me in a race of Mario Kart 8.
I'm still in two minds over the Koopa kids as well, they certainly take up a lot of roaster for what could host better characters perhaps, I do love their diverse designs however, and I'm sure many will be happy to play as them, just a bit upset we loose, Funky Kong king boo birdo in the process. Oh well, i'm sure people will love baby #5 and bland textured peach all the same.

It's not a big deal anyway, as the gameplay, music and awesome new graphics will dominate these minor itches I have with the game. :D
On a side note, I never really played battle mode much in Mario kart, and found the racing far more exciting, I played hours of battle mode in Super mario kart, which was essentially get red shells as fast as you can...

On an inside super side note that only a few people will pick up, what do you think will happen to Diddy's gang now, do you think their may be alterations in leadership now that their leader is no longer a playable character in the latest console version of the game?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The final count for retro tracks is one from SNES and GBA, two from GCN and Wii, three from DS and 3DS, and four from N64. I have to say I'm quite satisfied, especially with the DS and 3DS tracks. Having only two from the most recent console game is odd, as is having three from the absolute most recent mainstream title. But, of course, as we have more retro entries, more we will neglected. SNES and GBA have only one each, even. Those two games have progressively had less impact on titles since Mario Kart Wii. The way things are with Mario Kart 64 (the only track not to appear a second time is its Wario Stadium), there will be a noticeable lack of significance from it in Mario Kart 9, unless, of course, we finally get to see tracks return again and appear in three titles.

Regarding characters, I do like Baby Rosalina, but I don't think I'll be playing as her when we have regular Rosalina among us, unless I feel like playing as a small character for once. I couldn't care less about the Koopalings. It does feel... "unfair", however, that we don't see the return of Dry Bones, Diddy Kong, Birdo, Bowser Jr. or King Boo, who were all in at least two previous titles. It's okay to assume a character would be returning in this case, I feel bad for people who played as them before and miss out this time.

I'm being too elaborate as somebody who hardly ever bothers to play outside Luigi or Bowser (and Rosalina in titles since Wii), I'm not personally bothered by anything MK8 offers. The game looks amazing still and I'm getting it the first day.

Last edited:
well i will say. Im more satisfied with MK8 roster then with MK7's Roster. im sorry but MK7 roster sucked.

Dan

The final count for retro tracks is one from SNES and GBA, two from GCN and Wii, three from DS and 3DS, and four from N64. I have to say I'm quite satisfied, especially with the DS and 3DS tracks. Having only two from the most recent console game is odd, as is having three from the absolute most recent mainstream title. But, of course, as we have more retro entries, more we will neglected. SNES and GBA have only one each, even. Those two games have progressively had less impact on titles since Mario Kart Wii. The way things are with Mario Kart 64 (the only track not to appear a second time is its Wario Stadium), there will be a noticeable lack of significance from it in Mario Kart 9, unless, of course, we finally get to see tracks return again and appear in three titles.

Regarding characters, I do like Baby Rosalina, but I don't think I'll be playing as her when we have regular Rosalina among us, unless I feel like playing as a small character for once. I couldn't care less about the Koopalings. It does feel... "unfair", however, that we don't see the return of Dry Bones, Diddy Kong, Birdo, Bowser Jr. or King Boo, who were all in at least two previous titles. It's okay to assume a character would be returning in this case, I feel bad for people who played as them before and miss out this time.

I'm being too elaborate as somebody who hardly ever bothers to play outside Luigi or Bowser (and Rosalina in titles since Wii), I'm not personally bothered by anything MK8 offers. The game looks amazing still and I'm getting it the first day.

I too found it quite strange they used so many N64 tracks, I assumed at this point Nintendo would be using only one N64 track per game to spread it out now. So perhaps they will reuse tracks again, which I'm not totally against.

I still want a Goomba as a playable character, he doesn't need to put his feet on the gas pedal, he only needs to swing around on the steering wheel to turn corners etc, would be amusing to see a gamba hanging on to the wheel with his mouth. ;p

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I too found it quite strange they used so many N64 tracks, I assumed at this point Nintendo would be using only one N64 track per game to spread it out now. So perhaps they will reuse tracks again, which I'm not totally against.

I still want a Goomba as a playable character, he doesn't need to put his feet on the gas pedal, he only needs to swing around on the steering wheel to turn corners etc, would be amusing to see a gamba hanging on to the wheel with his mouth. ;p

That reminds me of how Ripper Roo would drive in Crash Team Racing. With his arms strapped, he has one foot on the accelerator and one on the steering wheel. Who needs brakes?

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if we got DLC characters, whether newcomers or not. It's not hard to picture some people would be bothered if their favourites were locked this way, however, especially if it costs money.

Fig

The Altruist
It is without a doubt that Mario Kart 8 is looking better and better as time continues to pass by. I was really surprised when I found out that Nintendo made a Nintendo Direct focusing on Mario Kart 8. There was a lot covered in the Nintendo Direct and I would like to start some discussion using the information that we obtained in the latest Nintendo Direct.

Game Mechanics:
We all know that the anti-gravity mechanic was going to be the main mechanic used for this installment of Mario Kart, much like how going underwater and flying were the main mechanics used in Mario Kart 7. One mechanic that I enjoyed seeing go into further detail was the Spinboosting mechanic. It really is a unique thing not seen in any previous Mario Kart installment. As racers we usually tend to stay away or avoid any form of contact while we race around the track as we will lose speed and have to regain our momentum, so it really is a breath of fresh air because for the first time in Mairo Kart, we don't have to worry about bumping into obstacles and gain a boost out of it. It is wonderful that Nintendo did decide to go into further detail about how the mechanic works as not everyone is going to observing things at the technical level. Sure they could have seen a glimpse of what the game looks like, but not everyone has a technical mindset or observes every bit of news that we can get our hands on gaming sites such as GameXplain.

One thing that I am really excited about is the customizations that we will have to select from. Like Mario Kart 7, each player will able to customize our own kart to our liking. From what we were shown, there will be some Mario Kart 7 customizations returning, mainly the wheels, and the vast majority are brand new customizations that only are found in Mario Kart 8. In this iteration of Mario Kart, we get a new vehicle body, the ATV or All Terrain Vehicle. With body types, the combinations are phenomenal! I can't wait to customizing my kart/bike/ATV for each course in Time Trials for the fastest speed that I can possibly achieve.

New Characters:
We already knew that the Koopalings were going to be part of the Mario Kart 8 roster and I honestly believe that it is great to see these Koopalings enter the game without dropping a single one of them. I always wondered if it would be cool to see a Koopaling or two make it to a Mario Kart roster, but it always brought the question of which Koopalings would make it to the final list as having all seven of them sounded just too much for a roster. Now that all of them are playable for the first time, I am excited to play as my favorite Koopalings (especially Ludwig). Now onto the two newest characters that made it to the roster: Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach.

It seems Nintendo really love seeing baby versions of Mario characters racing around the tracks. Seeing Baby Rosalina now, I approve for Baby Rosalina despite being another baby character. I do have to admit that Baby Rosalina is now the first female baby that I like. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with both Baby Peach and Baby Daisy, but they didn't really appealed to me as much as Baby Mario and Baby Luigi and before anyone says I'm sexist, I'm not as I like Peach and Daisy. It's just that something about those designs of the princess babies was either missing something or a certain feature of them that made me dislike them just a little, but something of Baby Rosalina makes feel so bubbly and warm inside. As for Pink Gold Peach, I am indifferent about it. Nintendo had the potential to bring back another Mario Kart, but instead we got another metallic character. If a character were to receive a metallic clone, I was hoping that it would be Luigi since he usually receives anything after Mario originally obtained. We could have received another Kong member, another Koopa member, Birdo, or King Boo, but we got Pink Gold Peach. Not a terrible character, but we could have got a better one in my opinion.

Items:
Like most Mario Kart installments, the core set of items of items are in tact. In addition, we got a look a several different items that brand new for Mario Kart 8. These items include: Boomerang Flower, Piranha Plant, Crazy 8, and the Super Horn. The Crazy 8 item is simply an upgrade to Mario Kart 7's Lucky 7 item and adds another potential item that the user can utilize. I love how Nintendo kept the theme of adding an adjective that fits with the number. Finally we have the Super Horn. This was the item that practically every didn't know how it functions. The Super Horn creates a bubble surrounding the player's kart/bike and anyone who is caught in that radius will be blasted away. What's so potent about this item is not only can this be used for offensive plays, a player can use the Super horn for defensive maneuvers. This is also the first item that is able to destroy the terrifying Blue Spiny Shell after it has been launched.

Online Racing:
We finally got a look on the online features that Mario Kart 8 will be offering. The first thing that we are given a better look is that online multiplayer is easier and simpler to enter a race online. Like Mario Kart Wii, Mari Kart 8 will allow up to 12 players to compete against each other. Unlike Mario Kart 7 it seems the ability to make communities will not appear in this iteration of Mario Kart, however, now we are given the ability to host tournaments and customized them with the rules that want to implement. I personally think this is a better way to play online as online communities gradually died out which was a sad thing to witness that event happening. On the plus side, I think these tournaments will be allow players to bring their competitive faces towards online play, which is always a plus in my opinion.

Soundtrack:
The music that the Nintendo Direct provided was outstanding. The music gives off a jazz-like vibe, which perfectly fits for Mario Kart 8. Coming from a guy that mainly listens to classical and jazz music, I am loving this soundtrack to the fullest. It always put in such a jolly mood and I can't wait to download the soundtrack once Nintendo releases it or any YouTuber is nice enough to release the soundtrack from their channel. Ever since the direct, I have always seen myself jamming out to the soundtrack of Mario Kart 8. You can just feel the vibe of each music composition and just hearing the soundtrack automatically gets me excited for Mario Kart 8 to finally be released.

For more information visit this link as Mario Kart 8 draws nearer!

Fig

The Altruist
Nintendo UK just posted a new video showing the history of Mario Kart! Quite nice that they decided to bring back the memories we had as we raced throughout the years! ^^
[video=youtube;nr_iC_DeNGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_iC_DeNGs&list=PLbCOGQCF6GO27yR_GUbS9m71QUnvWTlCZ[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom