• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC Discussion

Wave 3 is amazing.

London Loop has a banger soundtrack, and I like how the bridge raises and lowers, though I feel this city has smaller changes than others across laps. Boo Lake is pretty short, but I enjoyed it, and I'm glad we finally have another spooky track aside from Twisted Mansion. Rock Rock Mountain is the ugliest looking course in this wave, but the long gliding sections and the addition of anti-gravity when going up the mountain at least make it fun. Maple Treeway is a classic, and I'm glad they finally added halfpipes to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The music sounds excellent as always.

Berlin Byways is another track with dope music. I'm also glad we finally have a track with whomps as enemies. Peach Gardens looks beautiful with the new garden hedges made to look like Mario characters and the last lap going backwards is a nice touch. Merry Mountain is such a relaxing track with its cozy music and Christmas decorations. I feel like the ending is a nice contrast to Rock Rock Mountain where you're going downhill with anti-gravity in this track instead. 3DS Rainbow Road looks, sounds, and play brilliantly. It's the best Rainbow Road ever made and holds up amazingly well. The addition of anti-gravity on the moon is the cherry on top.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Wave 3 is alright, definitely better than the 1st wave, maybe on par with the 2nd.

London Loop-
The worst “city” themed course so far. Nothing about this course is interesting. Sure, you might see a few iconic landmarks here and there, but that’s about as far as they go with it. Cool I can see the London Eye, how about you make the course interact with it in some way? Tower bridge is the only landmark they do anything interesting with, and even then its just a significantly less cool version of the drawbridge from Delfino Square in DS.

I think I’ve realized why I don’t like the city courses all too much, and it’s come down to the fact that they all insist on alternating the course so wildly each lap. Sure it’s kinda cool when you have a course make a minor change every once in a while like Kalimari Desert did, but when every single lap looks completely different I just find myself confused. I’m not racing though the city on a predetermined track, I’m now just kinda aimlessly wandering. The tracks all feel unmemorable because of it.

Boo Lake-
For the love of God Nintendo, can you please stop remaking tracks from Super Circuit? Granted they’re better then the ones from Super Mario Kart but not by much. It’d be one thing if they were remade like how Cheese Land or Ribbon Road were, but they’re not. It’s a boring hodgepodge of wooden planks that occasionally goes underwater. Wee.

Rock Rock Mountain-
I liked this course back in 7, and mechanically it’s not too different. I guess it’s kinda hard to really add much to the Mario Kart 7 courses since they haven’t really added much of a gimmick to the course design since then other than antigravity (which is kind of a difficult gimmick to incorporate into older tracks while making it feel like something has actually changed). It’s just as ugly as all of the other “we can’t be bothered to make a texture that doesn’t look like that gross thing that parents will put on a kids birthday cake because they wanted to make it spiderman themed and couldn’t be bothered to draw it with frosting” courses, but in addition to that, it’s way too bright. This kinda lighting should be on a beach themes course, not a mountain themed course.

Maple Treeway-
Despite the fact that the Wii was the first console I owned, I didn’t grow up with Mario Kart Wii so while Maple Treeway isn’t new to me, I don’t have the same nostalgia over it that a lot of other people seem to have. It’s definitely one of the better looking course in the pass, even if that’s not saying much. I think this is my favorite course in the cup.

Berlin Byways-
The very first thing that I noticed during the preview was that they put the Berlin Wall in this course. Sure that’s a big part of Berlin’s history and culture, but think of the implications of that. That means that the Cold War happened in the Mario Universe. That also heavily implies that WW2 happened. Nazi Germany was a thing in the Mario Universe.
2CDF8180-231C-4F2A-9257-46554288EB49.jpeg
Fascist Italy was also presumably a thing in the Mario Universe. Did the Mushroom Kingdom ever participate? Did they conscript toads to fight Nazi’s? Or worse, did they conscript toads to fight the Allies? Maybe they we’re neutral, but if so did they lean towards a side? Were the Mario Bros grandparents refugees and thats why they’re some of the only humans in the kingdom? How did the Mushroom Kingdom react to the atomic bomb? Did they ever try to create their own nuclear weapons program? What about their space program? We can probably presume that they weren’t communist since they still have a monarch today, but did they Ally with NATO? What about Sarasaland? The Bean Bean Kingdom? The Cap Kingdom? Could the Mario Movie maybe explain some of this?

The course was alright as far as city courses go, I guess. I honestly wasn’t even paying attention to it for obvious reasons. Either I’m overthinking it or this course was just too boring for me to think of anything else.

Peach Gardens-
This was always one of the weaker courses from DS IMO. The only thing that made the original too interesting to me is the fact that the music is the anthem of every single one of those generic unoriginal “meme” youtubers that just post videos of a text to speech voice reciting unfunny memes, you know the ones. That being said I like what they did with it here. The new bigger hedge sculptures is nice, and having the last lap go backwards is definitely one of the better mid-course changes. One of the better remakes in this pass for sure.

Merry Mountain-
I question the decision to include a Christmas themed course in the game. I’m a strict “Christmas time is only the week surrounding Christmas day” kinda guy, so just having the track here among all of the others feels weird to me. There’s also the fact that a good chunk of people who bought this aren’t Christian, and might not even know enough of Christmas tradition to understand most of the references in there. I’m not saying I dislike it, just that it feels weird to have it right next to all of the non-holiday themed ones. The course itself is pretty good. Definitely one of the better tour courses. Not much else to say about it.

3DS Rainbow Road-
The best Rainbow Road, and the best looking course in the entire pass so far. Everything in this course looks great (everything apart from Saturns wooden rings, that is). Honestly not much else to say about this other then that it was one of the few remaining tracks that I actually wanted. Airship Fortress is now the last one.

The new item settings menu-
I’m glad that they added this, though I personally don’t see myself using it too often. They didn’t have to do this, so the fact that they did shows me that they really care about supporting this game, even if just a little. I can’t imagine that it was a simple thing to add either since they would have to tweak the item placement for every single combination, so good on them. That being said, the one time I tried it it wouldn’t let me select only Crazy Eights and instead turned on the single mushroom in addition to that, which is super lame since that means I didn’t get a single Crazy Eight the entire race. I’m guessing that it has to be a performance issue since that would give each racer 8 active items each time one of them ran into an item box, but either way it’s disappointing. It’s also limited to Vs mode, which is an odd choice. Definitely glad that it’s here though.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Having Rainbow Road 3DS back is absolute bliss. I don't think I like the music as much, but the track holds up in a spectacular fashion. The other returning tracks are great to play on as well.

However:
I think I’ve realized why I don’t like the city courses all too much, and it’s come down to the fact that they all insist on alternating the course so wildly each lap. Sure it’s kinda cool when you have a course make a minor change every once in a while like Kalimari Desert did, but when every single lap looks completely different I just find myself confused. I’m not racing though the city on a predetermined track, I’m now just kinda aimlessly wandering. The tracks all feel unmemorable because of it.

I agree completely. As time passes, I'm enjoying the Tour tracks less and less. At first, the novelty of having IRL locations as tracks was pretty cool, going a different direction each lap (and gong backwards the final lap) kept things interesting, but the more I play them, the more same-y they feel to each other. I can also never remember the layouts for the whole thing so I always crash in to at least one or two walls per race.

I always love seeing Super Circuit tracks remade. They're some of the biggest glow-ups. Also, speaking of Super Circuit, Boo Lake is actually the first DLC track to feature an underwater segment. I'm glad Nintendo didn't forget about that feature.

I also agree with this. Boo Lake stood out to me as a great upgrade.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I was able to play wave 3 the other day since I finally found it

Great:
Peach Gardens
Boo Lake
Maple Treeway
Rainbow Road

Good:
Alpine Pass
Berlin Byways

Bad:
London Loop
Merry Mountain

I was pleasantly surprised by the boo lake remake, the GBA tracks are usually all awful but this is fun with a good location and an interesting track, probably my second favorite of the DLC behind rainbow road of course

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I wasn’t paying attention to the MK8DX segment for obvious reasons, but after rewatching it I think its nice that they’re finally adding new characters, even if I never cared for Birdo. Maybe some new non-Mario characters will be added too.

Wave 4 releases on March 9th! We finally have a Double Dash track confirmed with Waluigi Stadium!

The other tracks are Tour Singapore Speedway, Tour Bangkok Rush, Tour Amsterdam Drift, DS Mario Circuit, GBA Riverside Park, Wii DK Summit, and Yoshi's Island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom