• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC Discussion

Just thought I'd make a thread to discuss DLC tracks as they are announced/come out for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I'm definitely nerding out too much over this.

We have the first 8 tracks confirmed:

Golden Dash Cup:

Paris Promenade (Tour)
Toad Circuit (3DS)
Choco Mountain (N64)
Coconut Mall (Wii)

Lucky Cat Cup:

Tokyo Blur (Tour)
Shroom Ridge (DS)
Sky Garden (GBA)
Ninja Hideaway (Tour)

The intern incorrectly wrote Shroom Ridge as a 3DS course.

Solid line-up for the first two cups. Coconut Mall, Shroom Ridge, Sky Garden, and the Tour maps because I barely played on mobile are highlights.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I am excited to see Choco Mountain in HD, that course is really fun in both 64 and DS. I am also happy they are putting Tour Courses in cuz the controls for that game are annoying but the courses looked fun.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
As cool as this is, I’m a little disappointed that all the DLC is effectively going to be is remakes of previous courses with very little new.

Retro tracks are already very hit or miss, with a good chunk of the ones in every game they’re in feeling very dated.

Also, the courses look clean…. Too clean. All of the textures and models here look like they have no detail, like they’re made of rubber or something. It’s not a huge deal, but I really hope they put a little more work into them before they release.

I really like that each lap of the city tracks from Mario Kart Tour is a different variant. Keeps races fresh. Choco Mountain is another looker with the new cave and gliding section with the bridge. I also love the multiple heights you can switch between in Ninja Hideaway. The biggest downgrade is Coconut Mall. Having the cars be stationary and with Shy Guys instead of Miis is lame.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
So I my first impressions from the direct were absolutely correct. Almost all of these are terrible. Granted, 48 tracks for 25 bucks is a pretty great deal no matter what the quality of said tracks are, depending on who you ask, but I still think that these courses deserve far better. Nearly all of the main series courses are completely downgraded visually, and none of them apart from sky garden are changed to work better with the game. Even Sky Garden pales in comparison to the other retro Super Circuit remakes, and it’s by far the best one here. What really sucks is that MK8 seemed to really turn around the franchises track record with retro tracks, but now we have these tracks which are all arguably worse then their original counterparts. I don’t know what’s more disappointing, the fact that Coconut Mall is worse than the original, or that it’s worse than the version they already remade.

Literally the only good thing to come from this DLC so far are the Tour tracks. At first I thought that these were gonna suck due to the fact that they’re from a mobile game, but I actually had a lot of fun with them, more so than any of the other returning tracks. Ninja Hidaway in particular is a blast. It’s pretty clear that this entire DLC was just an excuse to get the Tour tracks in an actual game as opposed to some mobile gacha trash, they just decided to add tracks people actually care about into the mix to get people to care.

The decent amount of fun I’ve had with the 3 Tour tracks doesn’t really do much to change that the rest of this DLC is kinda garbage. I really hope that they get their act together for the other 40 tracks or else I just wasted $14 and a ton of gold points.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
finally wasted money on the DLC pack

paris promenade- WOW I LOVE IT
toad circuit- I liked the paraglider option that appeared after lap 1, but it doesn't seem to be very useful with this version of paragliding. I like the foreshadowing of the loop in the grate, the long turn that you can actually get purple sparks on, and the overall focus on sticking to a line rather than navigating a complex layout. Good for online.
choco mountain- it's solid, but it's really missing a shortcut or two to be good. Maybe a wario mine-esque secret tunnel in the cave segment?
coconut mall- visually they really upgraded it, but they took out a couple of iconic pieces from the wii version, and there's also just less skill expression this time around on the course. Mixed bag here
tokyo blur- I wonder if all the tour courses have the changing directions. If so, it'll get pretty tiring quickly, but if not this is another decent addition, I don't really like how short it is though
shroom ridge- the setting is awesome, the flow of traffic going with you and the constant downward slope combined with the sharp turns really give off an accelerated vibe similar to courses like dragon driftway. Definitely a great addition
sky garden- kind of short and I feel like it needs to be utilizing the antigravity, cause as it is it's just a really boring version of cloudtop cruise. Like, really boring
ninja hideaway- wow. Not only is this a crazy complex course (I mean it's hands down the most complex course in routing I've ever seen) it also appears to be completely novel, WHICH MEANS THEY ARE MAKING BRAND NEW COURSES GUYS HOLY CRAP it's not even close to my favorite course in the first wave, but there are a lot of great courses in this wave both for time trials and online, so that's not really a slight against the hideaway.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
it also appears to be completely novel, WHICH MEANS THEY ARE MAKING BRAND NEW COURSES GUYS HOLY CRAP it's not even close to my favorite course in the first wave, but there are a lot of great courses in this wave both for time trials and online, so that's not really a slight against the hideaway.

It’s actually from tour, they just forgot to label it as such for some reason.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
For the life of me, I can't remember the layout for the Tour tracks each time I play. I haven't done them a crazy amount online but I should probably practice in Time Trials a bit because the complexity of the Ninja track and the changing layouts of the other two keeps messing with my brain. :P

Wave 2 releases on August 4th!

Turnip Cup:

New York Minute (Tour)
Mario Circuit 3 (SNES)
Kalimari Desert (N64)
Waluigi Pinball (DS)

Propeller Cup:

Sydney Sprint (Tour)
Snow Land (GBA)
Mushroom Gorge (Wii)
Sky-High Sundae (New)

So it looks like every cup will start with a city track as most people thought and we'll have a non-city Tour track or a brand new track to cap off each wave.

I'm definitely excited to race on Sky-High Sundae, Waluigi Pinball, and Mushroom Gorge. Also, this is the first time Snow Land is ever being remade, so I hope it's better than in Super Circuit.

Last edited:
Mushroom Gorge and Waluigi Pinball are super hype

also isn't Sky-High Sundae new, not from Tour?

Mushroom Gorge and Waluigi Pinball are super hype

also isn't Sky-High Sundae new, not from Tour?

Sky-High Sundae is being added to 8 Deluxe first, and then Tour. So it's a weird situation. Nintendo previously stated every DLC track is from past games, so I thought this is a situation like Ninja Hideaway where the Track is from Tour but has no Tour label. I'll edit my post to remove the reference to Tour for now just to be safe. Also, Sky-High Sundae is the first DLC track to feature anti-gravity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom