• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mario 64 Fan Remake

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
inb4 Nintendo shuts this down.

[video=youtube;mM9ADXfvnVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9ADXfvnVo[/video]

It's still very much a work in progress by creator Aryok Piñera, and we all know how much Nintendo loves these fan creations and so this may not get very far. ;) But it looks pretty cool, and if it were to ever release then it'd be free. The animations especially are impressive with how close they are to the original game, and he's looking to add even more animations yet.

This is made in the Blender Game Engine, with Mario's model being pulled from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He's looking to include a wide variety of other features too like Oculus Rift support, portals, and even some online multiplayer functionality. Could be something to keep an eye on!

via NeoGAF

Fig

The Altruist
This looks incredible! I really love the anesthetics of this fan-made remake of Super Mario 64! I personally love this game with all my life, it was the very first video game that I ever played in my life and I really love the quality of work that I'm seeing in this fan made remake. I can't wait toe see the end product and I will make sure I keep in touch with the creator. The only main problem I have with the render is that Mario's hands don't release from the fist position whenever he slides across the floor. It's just a small complaint, but I'm sure the creator might change this small adjustment as he continues to develop his game! Thanks for letting us know Merc! :hug: I really do hope that this game is either free or affordable for fans all across the globe.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Wow, that looks awesome. I can't believe people have the motivation and patience to invest so much time into something like this. It's awesome, and I'd love to see him finish it. Now they just need someone to remaster the soundtrack ;)

Sorry, but this is a waste of potential. So much dedication has been put into this, it makes you wonder why the creator couldn't invest in something original. I mean it looks good in all but still...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sorry, but this is a waste of potential. So much dedication has been put into this, it makes you wonder why the creator couldn't invest in something original. I mean it looks good in all but still...

Not everyone with technical skills also has the creative skills necessary to make their own game though. :P Some people, like this guy perhaps, like to have a clear direction on how to apply their technical skills. It's why we get so many fan-made remakes and creations based off existing stuff. It's just an easy-to-set goal for people to do in their free time.

I'd definitely play this though. :P But Nintendo will die before they let that happen I bet, lol.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
i, for one, salute this effort. I love SM64, and I love seeing fans output their creativity into something cool like this.

I also wish Nintendo would buy up some fan-made games and sell them on the eshop. It just makes sense. They can get tighter with their fanbase and get new games to put out. It could really benefit them to invest in fan-made games. A lot of indie games do well, so it could be very beneficial to the Big N to pioneer a new fan-made game market.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I agree with IHG, the skill some fans have in their programming skills is incredible. Like, I really wish the guy who's making AM2R, a Metroid II remake, could be hired on by Nintendo to finish his game pronto, that game is just that good. Now, I still maintain that I much rather see brand new games than constant remakes, but if people show off considerable skill then I think it's wasteful not to utilize that skill.

Big Octo

=^)
What I liked about this is that it lets Nintendo to still dish out new games while a remake is in development because it's completely a fan project. Here's to hoping that they won't crackdown on this.

キラ

Yo!
I'm not digging the art style very much. Also, if he is remaking SM64, why didn't he show one of the re-made levels? Is he that early into development?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm not digging the art style very much. Also, if he is remaking SM64, why didn't he show one of the re-made levels? Is he that early into development?

Pretty much. This was him just showing off the controls and animation being quite far along, along with all the old moves like wall-jumping. The actual remaking of levels will come next.

Ganondork

goo

I wonder how many people said that about Dean Hall modding ArmA 2. Now look at him; he is beyond successful with DayZ SA. Sometimes stunts like this are the little push that small time people need to get some backing for their own original game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom