• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Manga Discussion (Spoilers)

We'll get minimum information and hopefully no more filler. I hope its actually confirmed that Reiner's dead. And yeah I reckon someone might die, and it may well be Levi, but that woul be so annoying because it would be so cliché because he's had so much development recently. It could also be that Erwin dies before they reach the basement, I can see Ismya being that cruel easily. But I dunno nothing will likely really happen, maybe some cool looking fight scenes.

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
That is also a true point. And I don't think he'd be so stupid as to shoot himself in the foot by killing Levi

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
That's it right there, it's the struggle between killing Levi for the sake of the story, or not killing Levi for the sake of the money.

Killing Levi wouldn't add anything to the story, in fact I think it would almost be more tragic if he was one of the few to survive, because he's willing to fight to the death and therefore I don't think would care about dying. It's like that line (can't remember if its a proper translation blah blah) in the anime (also can't remember if its in the manga) when Erwin says to Levi "A pointless death wouldn't suit you." and Levi says, "As much as it suits anyone." and its from then on I kind of had hope he wouldn't die. One because the fandom far prefers him to Eren, lol, and also because it would be a far crueller fate for Levi as a character to actually survive. I think if Isamya kills Levi it will be very short-sighted in terms of the Fandoms love of him, as well as the potential progression of the story and character as a whole.

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
That's a fair point, but I look at things another way.
Ever since Chapter 72 I've had the sneaking suspicion that Levi is going to die, but more importantly his death is going to mean something.
In Chapter 72, you see Eren, Mikasa, and Armin looking up at the stars and talking about how they're going to to explore the world together one day like they promised as kids. Then you see Levi listening to them quietly in the shadows, no doubt reminded of his own experiences with Farlan and Isabel. So my prediction is that one of the three (Eren, Mikasa, or Armin) will be in immediate mortal danger, then right at the last second Levi will save them and die instead, so that none of them have to endure the same pain he did when he lost loved ones. Of course my theory continues on a bit after that into the realm of extreme speculation and far-fetchery, but the gist is that kind of death would still be pretty meaningful.

Ah yeah I see what you mean, but I saw it more as a note on the fact it doesn't matter how hopeful you are, or how far you've come, it can all be dashed in a second. I also figure Eren would from then on have his happiness permanently tainted by the fact Humanities Strongest had been sacrificed because of his own failing, same with Mikasa actually. I don't like her character, and find her incredibly boring, but I think her pride would be seriously hurt by the fact she'd needed saved. So whilst i think the death would potentially have some meaning, I don't think it would justify removing his involvement from the story.

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
Geez, both of you guys don't like Mikasa... Am I the only person on the planet who likes her? :P
I jest, and I see your point. I also hope you're right, because as poetic and impactful Levi's death would be, I really don't want to see him die.

I just find her very boring, either in battlemode or pathetic whimpering puppy dog lapping at Eren's ass, its like her only two functions and it annoys the hell out of me. Haha sorry i just feel like a lot of Isamya's female characters suck, Hanji's awesome, but we're not meant to think of her as female, which again is totally ****ing pointless. That character being gender neutral does NOTHING to the story. I think at the end of the day his editors will probably just stand there shaking their heads.

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
I think a friend said that Isayama is a self-proclaimed troll. So his editors probably do do that on a regular basis. I also think that Levi's death would probably be a harder blow to the fans then the characters. And, once again, it's a stupid, stupid, stupid mistake to kill a character with a massive fan base.

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
While I agree that killing off Levi would be a huge blow to the fanbase, I am also of the opinion that Isayama would not let the story suffer just to keep a character that everyone likes alive.
If Isayama had a grand vision for the plot that included killing off Levi, he certainly seems like the type of author that WILL kill off that character for the benefit of the overall story.
I'm not saying that it is a guarantee that Levi will die. However, I'm also not saying that Levi is immune to death simply because he is a fan favourite.
What I'm saying is, anything could happen. It's Attack on Titan after all, it throws us for a loop constantly.

Yeah that's all fair enough, I just feel like his death would be so cheap. Like everything else is SO dragged out etc. and then we'd suddenly lose Levi. Like.. the main reason I'm still reading it at all!

WhyBuffet

The Hero of Wind
Remember, it only feels dragged out because you're only able to read a chapter a month :)
If you were someone jumping into the series when it had been completed and were able to read the entire thing in one sitting, it wouldn't feel so dragged out :)
That's why I'm glad I started reading towards the end of the Uprising arc, because had I read story arc that month by month, I too might have started feeling as you do (getting a tad bored with it all).

I know about the timescale, its still stupid how long some things are left hanging, this is why I will always prefer prose. It feels so much more involved and a lot less... teasing.
Well actually when I started reading it was... I dunno 3ish months ago? So I've only had to wait on 3 chapters or so, and I can safely say it read as dragged out when I was going through it as well. In fact I skipped most of the anime covered stuff and went back to it afterwards because of all the time wasting going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom