• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Malon and Link

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Alright guys. Here's where the fanboy comes out.

I am a huge supporter of the MaLink pairing. And when I say Huge, I mean HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Firstly, because Malon is a redhead. I have a thing for redheads. Secondly, with all the speculation going around about how did Link get Epona in TP, I thought that this was the most logical reasons. AND THIS WILL BE USING CANON MATERIAL, NOT THE MANGA.

Anyway, here's why I think that the MaLink romance MUST happen in (or after) Ocarina of Time.

First and foremost, I take you to the Kokiri Forest. Now, you're probably wondering "What does the Kokiri Forest have to do with MaLink?" Well, think about how the other Kokiri treated him for the longest time. They may have been friends, but deep down, Link was a black sheep. Everyone had a fairy there, except Link. Mido was the one who kind of rubbed it in his face the most ("You're not even a real man without a fairy." What does that make Edward Cullen, I wonder?). While she and Link were best of friends in teh forest, even Saria knew that Link was the black sheep because of the fact that he had no fairy to constantly shout "Hey!" at him. So, between eight and twelve years go by with this sort of treatment. Now, we journey to Castle Town, to that fateful encounter. What's her second (I think) line? Oh yeah. "Oh! You're a fairy boy from the forest!" BOOM! She's only known Link for about five seconds, and already, she acknowledges him of what it is he always wanted to be. I don't know about you, but if anyone acknowledged me of what I wanted to be acknowledged as, despite how others treated me, I would probably grow to be a good friend with this person, at least.

Second, and almost as important, Malon is the only girl Link met to not have to live out their years in the Sacred Realm. Obviously, excluding Zelda. Now, the ZeLinkers will probably hate on me for this, but ZeLink in this part of the timeline cannot be. Zelda is royalty, and Link is a peasant. If Link were to marry Zelda, he would be simply a King-Consort. His family would never leave the Royal Family, either. I don't know about you, but I don't remember Link from A Link to the Past being a Duke, or something like that. And you may be thinking "But there are different Links! They may not come from the same family!" Ah, but yes they do. Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess (who I believe to be OoT Link, by the way), prior to learning the Mortal Draw, remarks that he has taught Link techniques "that do not leave OUR bloodline." The bloodline of heroes. The bloodline of the Hylian Knights, as seen in ALttP. Furthermore, the Hero's Shade remarks that he, too, accepted the role of that of a Hero. All the heroes in the universe of Zelda have been Links, with the possible exception of the Hero of Men, in the opening of TMC. And, to bring up the overused quote, he also says "Go and do not falter, my child." Sure, masters refer to apprentices as their children, and vice-versa (For example, Terra in KH:BBS, refers to Master Eraqus as "[his] master, no, [his] father"), but as the techniques don't leave the bloodline, we can take this almost literally, meaning Link is one of his descendants.

Third, we look to the future Links, starting with the Link in Twilight Princess. His hair appears to be brown, as opposed to the usual blonde. And even further down the line. ALttP/LA (and possibly OoX) Link had brown hair, as did TLoZ/TAoL Link. Further evidence that OoT Link had a child with a redhead, and not another blonde. But again, you may be thinking "What if one of his descendants married a redhead down the line?" Well, we just don't know. But again, refer to point number 2. Malon is the only one of Link's friends-who-are-girls who a) is not royalty, and b) don't live out their years in the Sacred Realm. And who would he marry from OoT/MM then? Anju? She's, like, an adult already. And in Termina, she's already married by the end of MM. The blue-haired lady from the Bombchu Bowling Alley/Treasure Chest Game? She's an adult too, plus, we don't even know her name. Romani or Cremia? Well, then that would just be marrying Malon again, but in a different dimension.

Fourth, we look to Link's Awakening. If you put this game after OoX, then you need not pay attention, as Marin is simply Zelda without a crown to you. If, however, you put the game after ALttP, does Zelda have red hair? Nope. Blonde (according to official artwork), or brown (in-game). Also, if you simply look up Marin on Zelda Wiki, you immediately get an image of a redhead on a rock. And let's not forget that the names Marin and Malon are nearly identical (especially in the Japanese Kana script, where they read Marin, and Maron). And Marin is simply dream-Malon, since there also happens to be a dream-Talon (and a dream-Ingo) and she likes singing and cuccos (to the point of having one right by her house, which I love to set on fire with Magic Powder).

Fifth, we take the cliche' Knight-in-Shining-Armor scene when Link frees Lon Lon Ranch from Ingo. That was probably what jump-started Malon's feelings for Link again, seeing as how she had a monster crush on him when they first met. She even seems a little more formal toward him when you return and talk to her, after Talon's back, than when they were both kids.

Finally, we look back in Kokiri Forest, more specifically, inside Link's house. If you look on the wall, you can notice he has some equipment that looks similar to some farming tools (two rakes/pitchforks, a hoe... stop snickering... some plants in baskets, and some other unidentifiable tools). Link wanted to be a farmer. Well, guess who happens to be a farmer's daughter? Guess where she lives? Guess what she does every day? Also, there was an extra scene that was supposed to be in the credits of the game, post-Link returns to the Child world. The Credits were supposed to originally be AFTER Link sees Zelda. We were supposed to get a shot of Link and Malon on Epona, riding off into the sunset. The models for Link farther forward on Epona, and Malon's arm around his waist are still available in-game via hacking (and Kafei is too). It was all part of a sequence where Link fulfills nearly everyone's dreams (except Ruto's), but it got taken out because of time constraints and Zelda is supposed to be like Bleach (manga) in that it is about playing the game/action, and not romance (which people like me would have inevitably jumped on).

That's it, in a rather large nutshell. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Yes, I am aware of Zelda taking Link on a date at the opening of TMC. However, she did sneak out to do it. Yes, they are childhood friends, and yes it seems they have been doing that for some time, but that is The Minish Cap, and this is Ocarina of Time. Either TMC is before Ocarina of Time, and a war takes place at the end (possibly changing some of the Hyrulean Laws because of the Sheikah Betrayal, as well as Ganondorf's appearance, as OoT is the end of the war), or it comes a very long time after it, where Hyrule seems to have settled down for a while. But yeah, if Link were a distant cousin, he wouldn't get very many privileges, but he would still be a member of the Royal Family regardless. Maybe as a Serf, or a Lord, but they all have rights, regardless of distance. And yes, it does seem that Hyrule doesn't have very many other people for Zelda to marry. I mean, later on, there's Holodrum, Labrynna, and possibly even Termina, but that's something only Nintendo knows about.

Last edited:

Conor

the over analysing guy
I really well thought out theory, I've always thought the same in reference to Link marrying anybody, I would've liked it to be Saria, but even taking out the fact that she's a sage, their love would be doomed, regardless ):

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I love your support for MaLink though I personally hate the pairing, and I also love that you referenced Kingdom Hearts because it was totally on my mind at the time of reading about the Hero's Shade.

Anyway, you have some great facts supporting your pairing, although I'm not entirely sure about any hidden cutscenes in OoT though I'll have to check it out. Hrm...I'm also not sure Link wanted to be a farmer; those tools in the house could've just been there, you know? I do agree about Malon being the only lady Link has met who isn't currently in the Sacred Realm (that INCLUDES Zelda, she's a sage and truthfully doubt she is tangible with Link, even before she sent him back to his own time), so logically he would pick her if anyone assuming that all the ladies that he had met (Saria, Ruto, etc) do become sages despite Ganondorf being 'told on'.

All in all, MaLink is sweet I suppose, but I love Cremia much more than Malon or Romani despite all three of them technically being the same person, at least model-wise. Great job finding facts, but you could also get noncanon information from the OoT Manga to further your support for MaLink.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
True, but then I'd get criticism from people because of the fact that I'm using a non-canon source. This way, it is grounded in absolute fact, and no one can question it (except teh very part you brought up. I'll have to find a link to show the character models and such).

Very well thought out theory. I didn't know about the Link-and-Malon-running-into-the-sunset part.
Normally, I like ZeldaxLink, but in OoT, Malon's the better choice IMO.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Malon's definitely the better choice. Would you rather have Zelda/Bella Swan, the girl who lets her boyfriend come rescue her and do all the work? Or Malon/Ginny Weasley, the girl who, when her boyfriend was off hiding from Voldemort while hunting down horcruxes, restarted Dumbledore's Army, was a thorn in Snape and the Carrows' sides, dueled Bellatrix Lestrange with Hermione and Luna, and above all else, didn't whine about him being gone and/or commit suicide?

Link's parents could have been noble in OoT I don't have anything to back it up but they could have been. Why compare Zelda to Bella? I don't see the connection between them.

And the hair color could have changed down the line it doesn't, to me, mean that Link married Malon. Some one down Link's line not named Link (or they could have been named Link) could have married a red head.

Maybe Nintendo wanted to switch up his hair color and went with brown instead of blond.

I don't think Malon helped Link defeat Ganondorf, the only thing I can think of that she did was give him Epona and Epona's song. While Zelda disguised herself and taught Link songs that transported him to the temples.

You do have good points but I will stay with Zelda and Link in OoT. Sorry if this is off topic.

Last edited:

Clash

Super Melee Brawler
First of all, the farming tools are there because Link gets a cow later in the game in an optional sidequest.

Second of all, Link marrying anyone would be wrong, because every time he gets reincarnated he would get married again, even if his former wife was still alive.

Third, Link is technically engaged to Princess Ruto.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I don't think the farming tools are there purely for a cow that he gets 7 years in the future, and how exactly are you meant to use metal tools to get milk from a cow?

The reason Malon knew Link was a fairy boy was because she heard tales of the Kokiri.

Also, some of your anti-ZeLink points aren't well thought out. Yes, Link is a commoner, but do you see any other royal families for Zelda to marry into? I don't think so. The rules of princess courting may be rather informal. In MC, Zelda was perfectly allowed to just walk up to Link and drag him on a date. So I don't think Hyrule made a point of a princess marrying a commoner.

Now Link not being shown as royalty in other games is a much better argument. However, if he's only a distant cousin of the main line and still young, he's not going to be granted a lot of privileges.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
The reason Malon knew Link was a fairy boy was because she heard tales of the Kokiri.
Well, nearly everyone in the game had heard of them, but dismissed them as children's stories and fables. That doesn't seem to disprove the fact that within five seconds, she immediately recognizes him as one, and acknowledges that fact.

Also, some of your anti-ZeLink points aren't well thought out. Yes, Link is a commoner, but do you see any other royal families for Zelda to marry into? I don't think so. The rules of princess courting may be rather informal. In MC, Zelda was perfectly allowed to just walk up to Link and drag him on a date. So I don't think Hyrule made a point of a princess marrying a commoner.
She did sneak out to drag him on said date, but flaw aside, remember that this is TMC, which either comes before OoT to some people, which means before the war, before the Sheikah betrayal, before the Twili revolution, etc. In wartime, nearly everything goes from being a little lax in security to incredibly tight, (for instance, take 9/11. Before that day, people were being let onto military bases without ID cards in some places. 9/11 and after, no one was allowed on for the first couple of days, and ever after, they tightened the noose on people coming in and out), or a long time after OoT, where Ganon has been all-but-forgotten, and everything has gone back to being lax...

Now Link not being shown as royalty in other games is a much better argument. However, if he's only a distant cousin of the main line and still young, he's not going to be granted a lot of privileges.
Granted, but he'd still have a title. He would still have some privileges, regardless of how many the pure Royal Family has. George Gordon Lord Byron, for example, was raised as a distant descendent of the Royal Family, but took his seat in the House of Lords somewhere between the ages of 10-14 (if I remember from my research paper earlier this year correctly). Despite the fact that he was a child, and a distant relative, and that he inherited the title from his uncle, he was still a Lord, and he still had power, even though he was the same age as Link would be.

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
Rytex, your theories about Malon and Link are great and Malon and Link make the most sense being together. People need to stop saying Zelda and Link got together because plain and simple it makes no sense. Do you really think if they were together Link would be living on a farm in TP? I think not. He would most likely be living in a castle and he would be part of the Royal Family.

Some things in TP almost assure us that Malon and Link got together. The fact that Epona is in Tp. Epona in TP is a descendant of the Epona in OOT. Also Links hair is a brownish red blonde colour in TP meaning Link in OOT had to be with Malon because her hair is red. If Link and Zelda got together I doubt that Links hair would be the colour that it is in TP.

Ordon Village is a farm village and what is Lon Lon Ranch? a farm, exactly. Meaning in the child timeline when link was done with his adventures in Termina he went back to Hyrule and got together with Malon most likely and together they made a farming village which turned out to be Ordon village way later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom