• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Making money in BotW

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
With the addition of degradable weapons and armour, it looks like rupees will actually be worth collecting in this game. Unfortunately they don't pop out of every bush, rock and jar any more, so I was thinking about the best way to potentially make money.

In OoT you could pick up a fish and sell it to the unusually rich beggar kid for 100 rupees. In the trailer for BotW, Link is shown taming a wild horse. Maybe I'm just cold hearted, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to sell my faithful horse companion at a stable for some extra pocket money before entering a big town so I can buy a lovely new hat. Anyone else want to be able to become a horse merchant? Or any other ideas on how they'd like to make money in game that we haven't seen before?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There are gems that I know can be sold for rupees and I imagine you can sell most items you find anyway.

Also if you want to stay rich I'd avoid that sinister Lycra clad man with the perky man boobs and the goatee.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I always used to farm rupees off that lady who would lose her Cuccos in OoT >.>

I hope we get more vendors who do quests for money and stuff

As long as we can mine minerals, skin dead animals for fur, leather and other similar things we can sell all that for cash too. Basically you would want to pick up everything you can. It all has value, even the garbage, because you can sell it.

Reactions: Dio

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Making money in Breath of the Wild seems like it's not gonna be much different from some other RPGs. In Fantasy Life for example probably the biggest way to earn lots of money is by selling things. That's not the ONLY way of course but it's the way that nets you the most cash. So it's a system that can work. Judging by the sheer number of collectibles in Breath of the Wild you should get plenty of things to sell if you are in the habit of grabbing everything you see. I imagine you can get more money by selling gear and cooked food items too. It has potential to be full of options.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
That is more realistic than cutting grass and rupees just appearing there. Aesthetics aside (which are not realistic) the rest of BotW feels rather realistic indeed.
I've made threads before about how hearts need to go and said that they are just too readily available. No more hearts and rupees in the grass is great in my eyes because rupees have been pretty easy to come by. Never have I been strapped for cash in a Zelda game when I actually needed to buy anything.

I've made threads before about how hearts need to go and said that they are just too readily available. No more hearts and rupees in the grass is great in my eyes because rupees have been pretty easy to come by. Never have I been strapped for cash in a Zelda game when I actually needed to buy anything.
I actually like hearts in Zelda games as they make the game less about staying alive and all about the fun playing the game. In saying that I have always supported a hero mode so players have the choice of hearts (in normal mode) and no hearts (in hero mode). There needs to be a replacement mechanic to hearts to refill health in BotW. Thankfully with cooking and other food stuffs you can find and eat, this is the case.

The rupees in the grass issue is a different issue all together. Having rupees in the grass is fine. The bigger issue is most Zelda games need rupees to buy things early on in the game where rupees are more time consuming to get. But later on in the game when Link is overflowing with rupees, there is nothing to buy. The Zelda games do not have any rupee sinks. In certain places like Ganon's castle/tower areas, there is literally nowhere else left in the game to spend the rupees you find there. Rupees only work when there is meaningful things you can buy with them. BotW needs to have these meaningful things throughout the game, not only at the begining.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Actually, new proof has surfaced that you can find Rupees within the World of Hyrule as well.

So that's cool, and that sticks to the tradition of having easy access to fifty rupees early game.
This is definitely not a common occurrence as well. But it is great to know it is there.

I think it says a ton that even though we have hours, and hours of footage. We are still learning things just from this demo alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom