• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Making Link TALK.

Link doesn't need to talk. He is meant to be an avatar for the player. Also a lot of people have their own idea on how Link should sound and giving him a voice would ruin that.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Link speaking is fine. VOICE ACTING however is a no-no. I could handle Link talking a bit, making him a more solid character. But we don't need no steenkin' voice acting.
Haha, I'm the opposite! I'd rather not have Link talk. Of course, I'm rather liberal when it comes to changes in the Zelda series -- I'm probably going to like the games no matter WHAT they do with them, and I'll certainly at least try them even if they're terrible -- so if they do decide to do that, it won't be too bad for me. But I think I prefer Link being silent. It's tradition, you know? I don't mind if he shows more emotion or character, but I think they should try that through actions and facial expressions instead.

On the other hand, I'd love to hear some voice acting in the series. If they can find some actually decent voice actors, I think it'd be excellent. Even if they're just all speaking Hylian.

Okay, so minor spoilers ahead (jk they're major)...

But like, in every Zelda game that features some sort of alternate/other Link (examples being TP, ALBW, etc),
...There was an alternate Link that could talk in TP? o_O

Why do people keep forgetting that Link talks at length in Twilight Princess? Like, a lot. The most he's ever talked, ever... Probably even more so than the non-canonical Links from the Zelda CD-i games and the animated series, and we all know how much that knucklehead talks. (lol) And we call ourselves fans, right? ;J

Also, in the game when you click "A" to respond to various NPC's questions and such, that's Link talking. Yep. And if memory serves, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (perhaps a few others, as well?) made this clear for 'ya by making all of Link's responses green. Wasn't that nice of them?

Now if we're talking vocal; I say screw that. I don't want any cruddy voice actor coming in and making Link sound stupid and/or destroying his 'personality' and 'charisma.' *Voice-actors tend to throw in a bit of their own flair, which is fine if done well, but presents itself with an equal, huge chance of royally effing everything over, causing me, personally, to want to drop out of existence 30-some years early. I cringe at the thought of having Vic Mignogna play Link. *shudders* As for voicing the other characters...meh. Give me another gibberish sidekick, and I'm all set.

*I highly recommend watching Adventures in Voice-Acting to see what I mean. The film can be found on YouTube, but it's split up into 5-7 segments, so it'd probably be better to watch the whole thing or buy the DVD. ;J

Say ZeldaU gets voice acting all good. But the Zelda after that would need a similar voice for Link or people will go, hey but Link does not sound like that. It's cool to make Link look different every game, but the voice is more important to be kept constant. My point of reference here is Starcraft 1-2. People didn't care Jim looked different in SC2. But they cared a ton that he sounded different.

SKULLKIDBUPPIED

SKULL_KIDbpd52
I'm all up for everybody including link to have a voice. that was my number one problem with SS, NOBODY TALKED. I feel like nintendo should have introduced it with the wind waker, and the fact that it wasn't even in SS is a huge flaw in the game.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I still think my idea will work. It's no different than what we already have in terms of sound and the fact that Link is saying things, and the VA can easily just be told to keep their acting neutral. We can still decide for ourselves what Link says, but we still give everyone, including him, voices. That sounds like a good deal to me.

ILU

i luv u
Link shouldn't talk unless LINK (the actual voice actor) is doing the talking. That's the only acceptable way. *stern fangirl faec*

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
I may not be the first to say this but Nintendo's pretty much said "NO" to any chance of a talking link. I would love and hate the change if it came. The old link is always something that we don't want to lose. It makes the player feel more into the game.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
It's already hard enough for me to play Zelda in front of my friends. No thank you.

Force of Power

That name tho.
Link probably doesn't talk because Nintendo wants us to feel like you're the hero, you're the chosen one. If he talked, he'd probably have a different personality than most people, thus ruining it.
Besides that, Link talking REALLY just isn't a good idea. It brings a little bit of charm to the picture and would just be too big of a departure.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I prefer how they did it in SS the best. Not only did they allow you to choose what Link says to people, but they also animate him so he is clearly interacting with the other characters. That's enough for me really. having the multiple options and letting me imagine what Link sounds like I thin lets me feel like I'm playing vicariously through Link instead of watching this kid on my screen do things, something that the creators of Zelda say they actively try to cultivate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom