• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Making Link TALK.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Okay, so minor spoilers ahead (jk they're major)...

But like, in every Zelda game that features some sort of alternate/other Link (examples being TP, ALBW, etc), the alternate/other Link is able to speak just fine, but the player Link does not have any sort of speech ability (except for generic text box answers). I mean, player Link pretty clearly speaks - otherwise NPCs wouldn't be able to reply to him - but it isn't with written word. So, can we change that in Zelda U? It's a minor convention that would be totally reversed, not rethought, but hey! Zelda is all about evolution, right?

Salem

SICK
No.
Never.
Forever.

His current speech is good enough, no more than that. I don't want to see him have dialogue.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I hope for all the other characters to speak in the next game,with actual words, not just text boxes. In that situation and with any situation I believe link should carry on like in SS with the player choosing what he says, whilst not hearing his actual voice.

The whole thing with Zelda when it comes to Link talking, characters talking, and response to the talking is just getting more and more awkward with each game.... Especially when compared to other video game series. Cfrock and I had some really great points in the Voice Acting thread, and I think most of them apply here.

If the Zelda series will forever stay in its current mode of no voices, there's no reason to give Link a text box. Going the whole nine yards would be more effective if they decided they finally wanted to make the jump to a vastly more character and story driven game. But as it is, it's just fine for what it's trying to do.

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
Well with the original purpose of Zelda games was link had been intended to be a 'link' for the play and into the game, Link is you. Over time he's become 'Link' his own identified character but if they take that next step and he speaks-- the player perspective as him will decease that little bit more.

I like this option compromise tho:
Ganonking said:
I hope for all the other characters to speak in the next game,with actual words, not just text boxes. In that situation and with any situation I believe link should carry on like in SS with the player choosing what he says, whilst not hearing his actual voice.
Also they could voice act some of the other key characters as well.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Link speaking is fine. VOICE ACTING however is a no-no. I could handle Link talking a bit, making him a more solid character. But we don't need no steenkin' voice acting.

Big Octo

=^)
I wouldn't be completely against it. Personally, I like when Link is given more personality (like in TWW) and isn't just an emotionless slate (OoT, TP). Giving him full dialogue and/or a voice would obviously allow for him to be his own unique character. Honestly, I've never felt like I was conveying my emotions for Link in games where he's practically a rock, but rather, I've just felt awkward seeing him not reacting to anything major or sudden on-screen. Now, if that kind of Link was given full dialogue, then perhaps I'd draw the line there. If anything, it would make the normally emotional situations Link is in seem even more awkward.

So I guess my final answer would be a green light to giving him a voice on condition that he's also given a personality.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I don't know why people are so against voice acting in Zelda. What's so wrong about it? It's not going to end up being like the Cd-i games, unless Nintendo does it right.

We need voice acting in Zelda and Link should talk. The "link" to the player crap sounds so stupid. Link is not YOU. Link is a person, not YOU.

Count SymphoniC

Master of Music and Mind.
I don't know why people are so against voice acting in Zelda. What's so wrong about it? It's not going to end up being like the Cd-i games, unless Nintendo does it right.

We need voice acting in Zelda and Link should talk. The "link" to the player crap sounds so stupid. Link is not YOU. Link is a person, not YOU.

OKAY FIRST OFF... I agree 100% with your signature. Just had to throw that out there.

Secondly, you're actually correct that Link is Link and you are you. The idea isn't to make you Link and Link you, it's to make Link feel like an extension of you, there's a world of difference here. When other characters are talking to Link and Link doesn't talk, the cool thing is you actually have the freedom to formulate your own thoughts about what the other characters are saying. This freedom will be taken from you if Link is given the ability to "speak". The alternatives to this would make Zelda games too much like Final Fantasy or Mass Effect and these three franchises absolutely must remain separate.

It was really disturbing to play Golden Sun, where your main character doesn't speak at all throughout the whole game... then in the sequel he makes an appearance out of nowhere and just talks. He didn't feel like the same character anymore, he didn't feel like my character, he was like a completely different character, it was a jarring experience. This is definitely a major risk with giving Link the ability to speak after years of not doing so, but on a much LARGER scale.

Skunk

Floof
Having more dialogue options that could maybe reflect the personality of players, rather than being generic "yes" or "no" questions, seems better than giving Link the ability to talk on his own. This would make Link a better link(heh) between the Zelda world and reality because they would be answering how they would if presented with the situation, thus placing more consequence on words, making it so that Link develops to be someone the player relates to because they shaped him to be that person.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Personally, I'd prefer it if Link would just move his mouth more often with a textbox underneath. There's no current need to bring up Voice Acting as a priority for Zelda games. Give the player a few options to choose from, and once they select one, Link's mouth moves with the answer choice the player chose. It's simple.

Well, Link does technically talk. He did say "Come on!" in Wind Waker.

Anyway, if there was a game that made Link talk, it should be in textboxes. If there's voice acting, make sure the voices aren't too goofy (I'm looking at you, Zelda cartoon & CD-i games). Tbh, textboxes are better since Zelda's a series that shouldn't rely on voice acting. Bu hey, it's all up to Nintendo if they want voice acting in a future Zelda game or not.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Honestly, I think my opinion is the opposite of most of the people here. I would actually love if Link's HYAAH voice actor spoke some lines in the gibberish Hylian, but without text boxes. Give everyone else text boxes to translate the made-up language, but leave Link's untranslated. That way, it gives the illusion of 'voice acting' and 'deepening Link's character', while still giving you the ability to put your own words in Link's finally-working mouth. Anyone else on board with this? Anyone? It wouldn't be like, for every conversation, jsut for cutscenes, and he'd only speak when it doesn't make sense to otherwise. I think it's a good idea, anyone agree with me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom