• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask vs Wind Waker: What was your preferred sequel?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I'm in the Majora's Mask camp. I don't really feel the connection between OoT and WW to be honest. They feel separated and independent of one another. MM feels like a continuation of OoT, more so in gameplay than story. Obviously MM has the benefit there of also being on the N64 and literally having the same gameplay and general art style as OoT, but that makes it feel more like a direct sequel than WW ever did. both are great games, but MM feels more like a sequel to me.
I agree. While I prefer WW as a game, MM feels more like a sequel to OoT

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Majora’s Mask was far more of a sequel to OoT; WW just plays off of its story. For that reason, I would say I like MM better as a sequel (and in general, really, but it’s REALLY close to being overtaken by WW.)

I think both games did well with what they set out to achieve.

MM was a personal story whereas WW was a story about the world.

I think MM's strength lies in the characters of Termina rather than Termina itself. Which is all very lovely but...

As a coastal girl and someone who is more interested in the history and future of Hyrule rather than the fleeting lives of people in a pocket dimension, I prefer WW.

Wind Waker had a grandiose feel to it and felt full of energy that I really resonated with. I think it added a lot to the lore of the series more than MM did since MM itself is in some strange limbo as to what it actually is.

I also think Wind Waker felt linked more to OoT than MM did because of the echoes of the old world in WW, the Forbidden Woods being overgrown Kokiri Forest and Windfall potentially being what's left of Kakariko.

In MM it was kind of difficult to figure out the reason for it. Navi flew off for some reason at the end of OoT and Link got lonely so went looking?

Whereas WW felt like it knew it was linking to the past with a purpose.

let me sum this up Ocarina Of Time link saves Hyrule from ganon, after link is sent back in time as a kid. link goes to see zelda as Kid Link.. *THE END*.. but wait there's more. Now we go to Majora's Mask Skip to the Cut Scene when Link get's the Ocarina back from skull kid ( link is parted off with Zelda's precious Ocarina and is wished good luck on his journey to find Navi) then Going back to Ocarina's time line. as stated in Wind waker ( Ganon's seal was broken everyone prayed the Hero Of Time would "Reappear" but do to "The Hero Of Time" being sent back to his own timeline and thus Majoras's Mask was already happening when Ganon's seal broke in the intro to Wind Waker. so Link saved Hyrule -> Goes back in time -> Ganon some how breaks free -> link from that timeline was already in Kid Link time line and set out to find Navi -> Due to Link being in a different Time line they had no choice but to pray to the gods above
-> the god decided to Tsunami the **** out of Hyrule Sealing Ganon again along with Hyrule it's self -> Then Wind Waker time line comes in. The New Age a fresh Time line past the Ocarina Era. A new Hero has been Chosen though the two new age spirits we all know as The Great Deku Tree, Jabun thought link of this era was the old link of the old era Aka "Ocarina of Time" they both realized he was the successor of the Ancient Legendary Hero of Time. valoo i assume is a descendant of the Evil Flame Dragon from Death Mountain but has morphed and became a guardian spirit too the new race in the new era known as the Rito which reappear many many years later but not in human form this time in full bird form. but basically yes some of what you were saying was correct but i had to give ya a bit of help in other parts. i'm a huge huge Zelda fanatic so.. i beat every Zelda game in existence except for botw 2 which is coming out next year as of 2022.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
let me sum this up Ocarina Of Time link saves Hyrule from ganon, after link is sent back in time as a kid. link goes to see zelda as Kid Link.. *THE END*.. but wait there's more. Now we go to Majora's Mask Skip to the Cut Scene when Link get's the Ocarina back from skull kid ( link is parted off with Zelda's precious Ocarina and is wished good luck on his journey to find Navi) then Going back to Ocarina's time line. as stated in Wind waker ( Ganon's seal was broken everyone prayed the Hero Of Time would "Reappear" but do to "The Hero Of Time" being sent back to his own timeline and thus Majoras's Mask was already happening when Ganon's seal broke in the intro to Wind Waker. so Link saved Hyrule -> Goes back in time -> Ganon some how breaks free -> link from that timeline was already in Kid Link time line and set out to find Navi -> Due to Link being in a different Time line they had no choice but to pray to the gods above
-> the god decided to Tsunami the **** out of Hyrule Sealing Ganon again along with Hyrule it's self -> Then Wind Waker time line comes in. The New Age a fresh Time line past the Ocarina Era. A new Hero has been Chosen though the two new age spirits we all know as The Great Deku Tree, Jabun thought link of this era was the old link of the old era Aka "Ocarina of Time" they both realized he was the successor of the Ancient Legendary Hero of Time. valoo i assume is a descendant of the Evil Flame Dragon from Death Mountain but has morphed and became a guardian spirit too the new race in the new era known as the Rito which reappear many many years later but not in human form this time in full bird form. but basically yes some of what you were saying was correct but i had to give ya a bit of help in other parts. i'm a huge huge Zelda fanatic so.. i beat every Zelda game in existence except for botw 2 which is coming out next year as of 2022.
she wasn't asking for an explanation, she was wondering about link's motivation for finding navi, that's all

Majora's Mask is a much better sequel than Wind Waker regarding Link's arc; Wind Waker is a much better sequel than Majora's Mask regarding Ganondorf's arc. Because these are the only two characters from OoT that are in the sequels (I mean, technically the HMS and the GDT), you can see the completion of their arcs by the end of each story. This is also why PH works as a better sequel to Wind Waker than Spirit Tracks; the themes and "character arc" of WW are carried into PH in a way they are not in ST (in fact, the destruction of Hyrule at the end of WW is undone by the existence of ST, which has forever clouded my view of the WW ending).

Majora's Mask is the childhood that OoT Zelda wished for Link. It is a depressing, dark, sad childhood. But it is also a childhood filled with beautiful people whose hopes and dreams and deaths show Link an inherent spiritual beauty.

Wind Waker is Ganondorf's attempt to rebuild his lost dream: the Gerudo are gone, Hyrule is gone, and yet he still wishes to control "the wind" or whatever his poetic line was. And, in the destruction of Hyrule, Ganondorf's dream disappears (except then Spirit Tracks happens and Zelda and Link keep on keeping on...in a kingdom...called New Hyrule).

But since Link is the protagonist (and MM is a better game), Majora's Mask is the better sequel IMO.

Skunk

Floof
I haven't played Wind Waker(yet) but I like Majora's Mask a lot and think I probably would like it more. I like seeing all the different people in Termina and doing their different stories, and watching how you interact with the game change so much even though it's a smaller setting.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
As a game, I prefer Majora's Mask. It was probably the most clever games I've played, and with na amazing story and world. Wind Waker I found mostly boring and forgettable, although it did have its fun/exciting bits. But as for a better sequel, I have to hand this one to WW.
Mm dealt with what happened to Link after the events of OoT. It introduced to a new world and adventure. But generally, it didn't give us any more information about OoT or Link. A sequel should build on what the first game laid out, but the most of what we got connecting it to OoT was the search for Navi.
Whereas with WW, we can see what happens. It builds off of where OoT leaves off, showing us the world that he left behind. It was also cool to see the legacy that Link left, from the birthday tradition on Outset to certain tales. It makes for a fascinating follow-up.

Requiem Of Spirit

It's a secret to everybody...
Majora's Mask. It improved on the gameplay of OoT and added interesting and original mechanics (the 3 days cycle, the masks giving you powers) and new content too (100% new world, some new masks and songs, new dungeons, lore and bosses...) fleshed out all the Termina characters, and had a slightly darker tone than OoT while remaining a good sequel. (I mean, when you play it right after playing OoT, it's a strange, but fitting turn of events.)

I think all of this makes it a great sequel. :deku::)

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I like wind waker more than Majora's mask
In theory I like immediate sequels better than implied sequels but in practice implied sequels always get me excited because of all the references you can make to the source. Think the mistborn series, books 2 and 3 were great followups to the first book which made for a pretty exciting standalone story as is. But then 4 and 5 went crazy with world building to the point where you feel like maybe you missed something. Majora's mask is book 2 and 3 while wind waker is books 4 and 5. So I guess I would say I personally prefer direct sequels typically, but implied sequels/delayed sequels have way more potential

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I loved both of these.
Im going to pick Majora's Mask though. I love how bizarre the game is. You fall and acid trip into this strange world where many people look familiar but are actually different and there's a giant scary moon with a face falling down. Side characters are given more development than in any other Zelda and many have their own quests.
It's a delightfully dark game which is particularly nerve racking with the clock counting down to your doom.
This makes it a very unique title.
It was also too hard for 6 year old me so I didn't finish it until I got the GC edition unfortunately but it was nice to actually get to and play the stone tower temple on my second time round.
Only real complaint is I dislike the great bay temple. Which unfortunately is 1/4 of the games temples due to their low count.

Wind Waker is a mainstream entry rather than a sidequest so feels more similar to other main Zelda's. One of the best soundtracks in my opinion along with some of my favourite bosses.
I Love Tetra who is one of the best characters and incarnation of Zelda, ironically this goes out the window when she actually becomes Zelda. Also has the incredibly annoying Triforce Chart Quest involving our Lycra clad friend. It's less bad on Wii U but still not enjoyable, still a slog. It put me off replaying past that point on multiple occasions.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I'd go with WW on this one.

WW embodies and reproduces the sense of adventure and the hero's journey much more than MM does, if you ask me (not that MM was meant to do that, but you get what I mean). It's not a repeat of Ocarina's story, but it conveys a similar enough vibe that, coupled with the references in the game's script to Ocarina, it feels like very good spiritual sequel to the classic tale of the Hero of Time while establishing a world that is beautiful and compelling in its own right.

On the other hand, Majora is anything but a natural (or predictable) followup to Ocarina. Yes, it occurs after Ocarina's story, but its events feel more like a fever dream than an adventure that happens post-Ocarina. And that works wonderfully for the kind of world Termina is and the kind of game MM was meant to be, but I wouldn't say that MM actually feels like a satisfying sequel, despite chronologically being one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom