• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask vs Wind Waker: What was your preferred sequel?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Both of these games are sequels to Ocarina of Time on opposite sides of the timeline. Even though they're both sequels, they took different directions in following up the events of OoT. Majora's Mask focuses on Link himself and his journey in Termina after he had already saved Hyrule and came back to his own time period. Wind Waker on the other had follows the world that Link left behind, to which Ganon was able to escape and the fate of Hyrule was left to the gods since Link was long gone.

I feel both are great follow ups to OoT since MM is showing exactly what happened to Link after saving Hyrule, whereas WW is letting us see how the world itself continues on after Link had saved it. So now the question is which one did you think is the better sequel? I'm not talking about which game did you like more, but rather as a continuation to Ocarina of Time, which "sequel style" (I guess we'll say) did you like more?

I think both games did well with what they set out to achieve.

MM was a personal story whereas WW was a story about the world.

I think MM's strength lies in the characters of Termina rather than Termina itself. Which is all very lovely but...

As a coastal girl and someone who is more interested in the history and future of Hyrule rather than the fleeting lives of people in a pocket dimension, I prefer WW.

Wind Waker had a grandiose feel to it and felt full of energy that I really resonated with. I think it added a lot to the lore of the series more than MM did since MM itself is in some strange limbo as to what it actually is.

I also think Wind Waker felt linked more to OoT than MM did because of the echoes of the old world in WW, the Forbidden Woods being overgrown Kokiri Forest and Windfall potentially being what's left of Kakariko.

In MM it was kind of difficult to figure out the reason for it. Navi flew off for some reason at the end of OoT and Link got lonely so went looking?

Whereas WW felt like it knew it was linking to the past with a purpose.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I personally prefer Majora's Mask, but mostly as a game. In context of being follow ups to OoT, though, I think it's ... not impossible to compare them, but I think they break even in what they set out to achieve. I think it's cool how different they are, and the characters vs world focus they have it going for them.

Wind Waker felt way more 'Zelda' though, maybe because it's also set in Hyrule (sorta) but it could be an argument for it to be a preferable game as a sequel.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm in the Majora's Mask camp. I don't really feel the connection between OoT and WW to be honest. They feel separated and independent of one another. MM feels like a continuation of OoT, more so in gameplay than story. Obviously MM has the benefit there of also being on the N64 and literally having the same gameplay and general art style as OoT, but that makes it feel more like a direct sequel than WW ever did. both are great games, but MM feels more like a sequel to me.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Majora's Mask for sure. It carried on the gameplay and same artstyle, we had characters involved who were in Ocarina of Time like Skull Kid, the Happy Mask Salesman, and we even get a flashback to Link talking to Zelda. Ultimately, this is the continuation of the Hero of Time's narrative, it's as close of a sequel as you can get.

Whereas The Wind Waker only talks about the Hero of Time's legacy in legend, the game is hundreds of years removed from OoT (or maybe more), and when we do see Hyrule beneath the ocean, it doesn't look familar at all. If you omitted all the references to OoT, this game could fit randomly on the timeline in a few places. As great of a game as TWW is, MM takes the spot as the best OoT sequel, and I think this is true even if we tossed A Link to the Past into this mix.

S

Seadragon

MM is a more direct sequel to OoT but I prefer WW as a game

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
As individual games, Majoras Mask is a clear victor. As sequels... Windwaker is better by a mile.

It’s not that Majoras Mask doesnt work or anything, it’s just that this could’ve happened to nearly anyone. OoT link just happens to be the one they chose, and though his reason for being there is sound, there’s nothing really connecting this adventure to the events of OoT, aside from the OoT itself being in the game.

Windwaker on the other hand is a clear sequel. While the event of a cataclysmic flood could’ve happened anywhere, the set up to links journey really only makes sense as a sequel to OoT. The games entire story is based around the fact that a prior hero saved the land from a man who had, and still has, the triforce of power. The world and every single one of its characters is a reflection of adult hyrule. Windwaker continued the story in a way that evolved the world. Majoras mask just threw link in bizaro hyrule.

On a personal level I guess Majoras Mask did it’s job, and did definitely evolve the hero of times character. The problem is that we never really got a follow up to that. We never saw the end of links journey. Sure TP shows us the aftermath of it (and that’s one of its biggest redeeming qualities), but we know nothing about what happened between these two games. If we did I’m sure my opinion of MM as a sequel would change, but as it stands I’m definitely saying WW is the clear better sequel.

Spirit Tracks was a better sequel than both of them.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
what got me thinking of this thread was when some time ago I played OoT Master Quest and played Wind Waker HD right after, and I was surprised how well the continuity melds together, I always knew it did but playing one after the other had me really see it

of course Wind Waker overall stands on its own, but playing Ocarina of Time beforehand can really contextualize certain story bits, and naturally some of the music and gameplay plays off it

although w/ that being said, I still prefer Majora's Mask as a sequel, it just feels more right to me and I still would always recommend for someone to not play Majora's Mask unless they've played OoT before, not the case for Wind Waker

Last edited:

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I preferred MM in terms of being a sequel. For me, following what happened to the same Link post-OoT and continuing his story in MM is more interesting than following a different Link a long time after the events of OoT in WW, which is definitely a lot more independent of OoT and thus not as compelling a sequel.

Majora's Mask was the far superior game, but I've played Wind Waker a lot more. Possibly because it's a bit more accessible (thanks to the Wii's back-compatibility) and it's just a fun world to exist in.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Majora's Mask was the far superior game, but I've played Wind Waker a lot more. Possibly because it's a bit more accessible (thanks to the Wii's back-compatibility) and it's just a fun world to exist in.

I feel both are great follow ups to OoT since MM is showing exactly what happened to Link after saving Hyrule, whereas WW is letting us see how the world itself continues on after Link had saved it. So now the question is which one did you think is the better sequel? I'm not talking about which game did you like more, but rather as a continuation to Ocarina of Time, which "sequel style" (I guess we'll say) did you like more?
also technically majora's mask is available on more platforms

I've got to give this to MM. WW may be a Zelda title with an excellent early game, but it drags on during the ending (especially the Triforce hunt.) Compare this to MM which may scare off players with it's unorthodox time mechanic but if you get into it you find that it is one of the most complex and rewarding Zelda games, and a true sequel to OoT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom