• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask - The Elegy of Emptiness and the Link Statue

iDarkLink

Sage of the Dark World
WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS MY OWN OPINIONS AND THEY'RE NOT PROVEN BY ANY NINTENDO OFFICIAL
Hello everyone! I'm back!
And I've come back with a thread that has to do with the creepy Link statue, or some might call it "BEN", from Majora's Mask.
Most of us have here have seen the cutscene: Link learns the Elegy of Emptiness and he makes a statue of himself with that. That statue's creepy face staring at you, just gives you the chills.
To me, this statue makes no sense whatsoever with its placement.
I'll explain why th Link statue makes no sense after this quick explaination of the Elegy of Emptiness (from my point of view).

The Elegy of Emptiness

The Elegy of Emptiness makes statues of your current form. And 3/4 of the statues you can make are of dead characters. I think that the statues are made of the actual characters, but with no true spirit for them to actually live. So their bodies are remade so perfectly they could almost be alive, but no soul or spirit to make them alive.

End of Explaination

The Deku butler's song, which you play as when you're Deku Link, is dead.
Darmani, once cheif of the Gorons at Snowhead, is dead.
Mikau, once the lead gutairist of the Indi Go-Go's, is dead.
Link, the main character or Majora's Mask and it's prequel, OoT, is.. Not dead.
So now you kind of see why I think the Link statue makes no positive sense whatsoever.

Of course this statue could be representing a different Link in the timeline, and the only two candidates for that would be the Link's from The Minish Cap and Four Swords because Skyward Sword Link is basically an adult when the Link statue in Majora's Mask is the size of a kid.

I know this thread will get some negative feedback, so, in my defense, I repeat, this is my own opinion!

Thanks for reading fellow ZeldaDungeon people!
So now I shall end this thread with a stupid quote from me!
"Peace is found in the Sacred Realm, not Earth, silly!"
Thanks again! :)

Rumor has it that the Link statue was a cameo whose purpose was to resemble Shigeru Miyamoto. Note the [alledgedly] Asian-like visage... Unfortunately I was unable to support this claim with evidence. :[

A more plausible explanation, however, might exist in the notion that the Link statue is a metaphorical manifestation taking on a physical form. The source as to what this could be referring remains unknown (to me) - perhaps it is an empty shell of Link's internal darkness?

Interestingly enough, I used to look at as one of the Links from past titles, due to its crude, "rusty" appearance/design. That, of course, was before I even knew of the existence of the timeline and such.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I believe the link statue is the only with pupils, and is the one that looks the most like it could be alive.
It is just an empty shell of a living Link.

The spirits contained in the masks are of dead people who allow Link to finish their unfinished tasks.
Since the song sees the spirit of the mask, as opposed to link, it makes an empty shell of that spirit.
Which is why the statues are wounded, and the eyes are lifeless.

Just my take.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This is an actually an intersting subject you brought up....

Like you said each statue represents the empty shell of its once full spirit hence the song name "elegy of emptiness" This would mean that the statue of Link would have to have once been a full soul.

Now I do have a theory myself that am planning soon but here is what I think happened....Link went searching for Navi after the events of Ocarina of Time and it is sstated that the Hero's Shade seen in Twilight Princess is actually the dead spirit of the Hero of Time. Some have said that their is a resemblance between the Hero's Shade and a Stalfos. Now am not going to blab on but I think that OoT Link died as he got lost in the woods, his soul lives on in Majoras Mask and this would explain why the statue of Link is actuall there!

I am planning on writing a full theory on this maybe later today :)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
It's a mystical song that allows you to shed a shell shaped in your current image.

By playing the song while wearing masks to assume different forms, you'll be able to leave up to four empty shells--one for each form!
It doesn't really have anything to do with dead or alive spirits. It's simply a shell of your current physical form. Changing your form changes the shape of the statue.

iDarkLink

Sage of the Dark World
Now am not going to blab on but I think that OoT Link died as he got lost in the woods, his soul lives on in Majoras Mask and this would explain why the statue of Link is actuall there!
Mind = Blown.
I never thought of it like that. Now I myself think Majora's Mask Link is the ame Link from Ocarina of Time. But that idea of yours could change my way of thinking of that forever. Like I said it COULD be a previous Link in the timeline but you never know.

Now I do have a theory myself that am planning soon but here is what I think happened....Link went searching for Navi after the events of Ocarina of Time and it is sstated that the Hero's Shade seen in Twilight Princess is actually the dead spirit of the Hero of Time. Some have said that their is a resemblance between the Hero's Shade and a Stalfos.
I once mentioned in one of my first (and most incorrect) threads about this resemblence. For some reason I thought the Heros Shade has the Guilded Sword and the Mirror Shield from MM.. WAAAY off on that! :embarrassed:

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Mind = Blown.
I never thought of it like that. Now I myself think Majora's Mask Link is the ame Link from Ocarina of Time. But that idea of yours could change my way of thinking of that forever. Like I said it COULD be a previous Link in the timeline but you never know.

1) It is confirmed by HH that the hero's shade is the hero of time
2) It is NOT a Stalfos, it's a shade, his face is a bit skeletal, that's all, look at his body, he's beefy

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
This is an actually an intersting subject you brought up....

Like you said each statue represents the empty shell of its once full spirit hence the song name "elegy of emptiness" This would mean that the statue of Link would have to have once been a full soul.

Now I do have a theory myself that am planning soon but here is what I think happened....Link went searching for Navi after the events of Ocarina of Time and it is sstated that the Hero's Shade seen in Twilight Princess is actually the dead spirit of the Hero of Time. Some have said that their is a resemblance between the Hero's Shade and a Stalfos. Now am not going to blab on but I think that OoT Link died as he got lost in the woods, his soul lives on in Majoras Mask and this would explain why the statue of Link is actuall there!

I am planning on writing a full theory on this maybe later today :)

Been stated that Termina is a Parallel dimension, link got back from there and died if you want proof look in HH, As it is if you think about it everyone in Termina is hyrule's counterpart so where is the Link Counterpart? Dead is what i think, and the elegy of emptiness is the reincarnation of that dead soul. Another thought is that the statue of link represents his Ideals of right and wrong. one more thing.... As said before by igos du ikana the statue is a soldier with no soul a warrior of darkness so to speak, i think he means here's a fancy song go create a freaky shell of yourself and then freak out because it's freaky.
My real thought is the Elegy of Emptiness shows the truth of things, it can read each of your masks and instead of making a goron link statue it makes one of the spirit within it Darmani just after his death same with the deku mask and the zora mask, but what of link? Well if the song reads the souls within each transformation mask then it can read links soul and make a version of that as a statue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom