• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-N64 Majora's Mask save file loss - anything I can do?

I am NOT a happy Zelda player right now. Like, not at all.

A couple weeks ago, I finally brought my Majora's Mask save file to 100% completion. Last night, I decided to celebrate that by replaying the Anju and Kafei sidequest and then fighting the final boss again after (re-)witnessing their marriage.

But it all went to hell. When I exited Anju's room after the ceremony, the game crashed hard. It jumped back to an early frame of the cutscene and froze there. I waited a bit, tried mashing buttons, but it didn't unfreeze. So I turned off the system.

When I turned the game back on afterward (which took a few tries) the save files were gone. My middle sibling's file that they haven't touched in forever... and my 100% file. That I started in middle school. All gone.

Is there any hope of recovering the save data or is it permanently lost?

Do you play on the original n64 or do you play on emulators?
The actual N64, hence my references to turning the system on and off. If I was using an emulator the fix would be obvious, but no. I'm talking about actual on-cartridge save data

EDIT: Aaand it turned out that it was a pseudo-wipe caused by garbage data from the crash lingering in the console's RAM buffer. I turned it back on braced to start over... and the save files were back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom