• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask: Red Star

Kyros 676

The Ultimate Hero
I know that Random Person discussed this on Z Talk, and there was probably another post on this, but Random Person had said at around 3 A.M. on the night of the first day, the star disappears. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, look in the sky when the stars are out in the night of the first day in MM.)

I tried his experiment, only to find that EVERY star disappears at that time. So I think that theory is incorrect.

I also have heard that there is a BLUE star right near it.

Maybe this is symbolizing the fact that the other two triforce holders are in alternate universes. Blue for Zelda, Red for Ganondorf. Maybe Zelda sees a green and red star. And Ganondorf, (if he can see stars from where he is) would see a blue and green star.

Another theory could be they are alternate galaxy's, or stars from different constellations.

I want to hear your guys' theory!

I haven't gotten around to playing Majora's Mask yet, but I've seen screenshots of this red star. It's in the constellation Orion, right? Yea, that star is red in real life, too. It's called Betelgeuse and it's a red giant. A star near the end of its life.

If you look closely at Orion in other Zelda games sporting the constellations, such as The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, you can pick up a hint of red as well. Nintendo actually put science behind that star, and I LOVE it.

Not exactly sure why Nintendo chose to associate Betelgeuse with THEM, but I think that's just Nintendo being... well, Nintendo. Haha...

Last edited:

Kyros 676

The Ultimate Hero
I haven't gotten around to playing Majora's Mask yet, but I've seen screenshots of this red star. It's in the constellation Orion, right? Yea, that star is red in real life, too. It's called Betelgeuse and it's a red giant. A star near the end of its life.

If you look closely at Orion in other Zelda games sporting the constellations, such as The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, you can pick up a hint of red as well. Nintendo actually put science behind that star, and I LOVE it.

I agree with you on that but I wasn't convinced the Red Star was "THEM".
It just might be the constellation, or a red giant. Or maybe it is deeper than that.

Kyros 676

The Ultimate Hero
[video=youtube;GQsa2SPgJ4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsa2SPgJ4c[/video]

Skip to 8:30.

I know I've already done the quest but wouldn't you see the star again when they bring her back?
If it is a constellation, it could be that the rotation and revolution of the Earth moves the Red star out of view the next two nights.

Wizzrobe

Mask Collector
I just couldn't see the red star as anything besides "them" in that cutscene, a RED ufo comes down and drops off the aliens. Also, the red star dissapears after the first day(the day the aliens invade the ranch) and doesn't appear on the second or third day.

(It also dissapears not only after the first day but the moment they invade the ranch it dissapears out of the sky I think)

I agree with you on that but I wasn't convinced the Red Star was "THEM".
It just might be the constellation, or a red giant. Or maybe it is deeper than that.
Back to this blue star you mentioned... there are also such things as blue supergiants. Blue stars. Again, it might be pointing towards an actual star. There is no sucn thing as a green star, though. So, if there is a green star in the sky in this game, I will be all like... o_o
If it is a constellation, it could be that the rotation and revolution of the Earth moves the Red star out of view the next two nights.
In real life, constellations shift ever-so-slightly from Earth's vantage point from a constant 24 hour interval, because a true day falls short by six or so minutes. Not likely if science is at all present in Zelda games.

However, red giant stars are cooler stars, therefore can have a higher magnitude (dimmer in the night sky; harder to see). I feel like I'm taking this way too far, but I love astronomy. Anyway, if the Moon is getting closer each day, it is reflecting the sun at a smaller distance, and therefore illuminating the sky more than the first night. Stars with high magnitude may lose visibility at a certain point.

If Nintendo actually thought all of that through, I would be so happy. But... I'm probably just going science-crazy here. :sweat:

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Yeah, I have to agree with Terminus. The red star is probably the THEM ship/thingy. If it disappears after the first day then it can’t be a star or a planet. It’s probably just the ship. I have no idea what the blue one is.

mandym287 said:
Anyway, if the Moon is getting closer each day, it is reflecting the sun at a smaller distance, and therefore illuminating the sky more than the first night. Stars with high magnitude may lose visibility at a certain point.

This is actually a fantastic theory mandy! But I doubt Nintendo put that much thought into it. A very cool idea nevertheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom