• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time *Poll*

Majora's Mask or OOT?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know this poll has been done before but I'd like to revive it since Majora's Cat did a whole article about it. I want you guys to think really hard about this decision, don't just go and pick one without thinking first. Even if you like OOT more think about everything in MM as well, or maybe even replay the games before choosing. I like Majora's Mask a lot more, in fact OOT is my second least favorite zelda game next to Phantom Hourglass. They're still great games but not that great to me.

I like Majora's Mask because it's better in every way over OOT ( IN MY OPINION ). The music, the characters, graphics, story etc... Everything is better. Now you might be thinking "Well OOT is way longer and has like two times more dungeons than that of OOT" Well you may be correct but Majora's Mask has way more complex and better dungeons all together ( Again in my opinion ). Majora's Mask gives you a lot more sidequests instead of dungeons anyway which was a lot more fun then going through 9 dungeons ( IMO ).

Quality over Quantity.

Last edited:

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Quality over Quantity.

I agree with quality over quantity as well, but OoT's dungeons aren't bad. The spirit temple, shadow temple, and forest temple are 3 of my favorites in Zelda. And the other dungeons are all pretty good as well. And the fact that there's more dungeons isn't the only reason people can like OoT more.

I'm not trying to make it seem like I don't like MM, I actually love MM. It's my second favorite to OoT. Just please don't make it out to be that to like one, you have to dislike the other, because that's not how it is, and that's not how it should be.

Anubis

The most inactive active
I like Ocarina of Time more. Its mostly because of that I dont like that you only have 3days and after that you have to play the song and start over again. D: Plus I love the long sidequest in OoT so you can get the Big goron sword, and the dungeons are wonderful in OoT.

I see Majora's mask is actually winning... But with such little amounts of votes it's too early to tell if most people think MM is better...

K

KokiriShroom

Ocarina of Time. Just because of how nostalgic it makes me Brings me back to when my dad and I used to get along. I played Majora's Mask when it came out, and beat it with my dad, but I didn't enjoy it as much. It scared me O.O and OoT was also the first game I ever played, and beat. I also LOVE the Nocturne of Shadow, and I like most OoT music more than Majora's Mask. The only songs that I think are as good as some of OoT are the Oath to Order, Cremia's Carriage, and the Ikana Castle theme. Thats just my opinion :) I know alot of people prefer MM music.

Edit: Oh, and Majora's Mask was too easy for me. I beat it right after OoT and IMO, OoT was harder.

Kybyrian

Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time were both great games, but in their own aspects. Personally I think that Ocarina of Time's good points were more appealing than the good points of Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time put a lot more emphasis on the main story than Majora's Mask, and that's something that I really like. Majora's Mask did have an okay story, sure, but it wasn't exactly that appealing. They made such in-depth sidequests all the time, as well, so you hardly even knew what the main story was anymore while playing through the game. It was just run around, do this and that, and then reset your timer. Half of the time you don't even think of what the timer is for, or what you're really supposed to be doing. I think that if you took the good aspects of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and combined them, you would have one heck of a Zelda game.

Ocarina of Time is very strong in its story. It focuses on the main story a ton throughout the game, and doesn't stray off too much. It's okay to stray off every once and a while into a great sidequest, sure, but not to overwhelm the main story with sidequests. Ocarina of Time would have done just fine with the amount of in-depth and wonderful sidequests that Majora's Mask had. The characters associated with these sidequests always had such a great story to them, too. I always like to refer to the Anju and Kafei sidequest when I talk about this. They are possibly the most in-depth Zelda characters that aren't related to the main story of all time. It would have been great to see more like this in Ocarina of Time, and I think it would have made it even better. I, personally, happen to care more about the main story. This is probably why I favor Ocarina of Time so much more than Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time just seemed right. It's one of those feelings you can't always point out.

I love to go through dungeons, and Ocarina of Time was great for that. It had a great mass of dungeons. You say, "quality over quantity," and I agree, but I don't think that's what we're seeing when comparing Ocarina of Time with Majora's Mask. Majora's Mask had some great dungeons, but the dungeons in Ocarina of Time were also wonderful. I loved going through every single one of the dungeons in Ocarina of Time. I could replay that game countless times and always enjoy the dungeons, no matter how much I knew them. Everybody always complains about how the Water Temple was so hard, but really it was the example of a perfect dungeon. What we need to see is more difficult dungeons that have some great puzzles. The entire Water Temple was its own puzzle. All of the other dungeons in Ocarina of Time were wonderful, too. The Majora's Mask dungeons were also very appealing, but didn't outdo Ocarina of Time to the point where I would say, "Quality over quantity."

Ocarina of Time could have used some improvements, yes, but I think the good points of the game far overpowered the good points of Majora's Mask.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Between the two, I'd go with Majora's Mask. Having said that, I disagree with a lot of the sentiments presented in the opening post.

Ocarina of Time has not only has more dungeons, but the vast majority of these dungeons are just more enjoyable than MM's to me. MM's Stone Tower Temple is pretty good, but some of the others (especially the Deku Shrine) are kind of monotonous to go through. I didn't really enjoy this game until I got into the sidequesting - which was after I'd already finished the dungeons and beaten Majora.

Ocarina of Time has vastly superior ocarina melodies, a good overworld theme, a nice addition to Zelda's Lullaby, and of course that fantastic Gerudo Valley theme. I like MM's music just as much to be honest, and I don't think that one soundtrack is inherently better than the other.

Yes, Majora's Mask has better characters. No arguments there. The graphics are probably just a speck better, but this is something I've never really cared about.

Anyway, the reason I would choose Majora's Mask between the two is because Termina feels like a real world. It's so cool to watch these people interact over the course of three days. It's revolutionary and I love it!

David

But you called me here...
I chose Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time was my second Zelda game (second only to Wind Waker) but that's not the reason why I chose it.

You say "Quality over quantity." A agree with it, but, all of the dungeons were very satisfactory in both games. I didn't feel that the dungeons were too easy or to short in Ocarina of Time. They had hard puzzles that sometimes took me more than 10 minutes to figure out. Majora's Mask, on the other hand, I felt was too short. When I finished playing I said, "Four dungeons? Really? Come on, you can do better than that..." I thought that the dungeons were awesome and challenging, but I felt that they could have done much more with the number, while keeping the quality. I agree with Kybyrian's assertion that
The Majora's Mask dungeons were also very appealing, but didn't outdo Ocarina of Time to the point where I would say, "Quality over quantity."

The story in Ocarina of Time is, to me, superior to Majora's Mask's. Again, I felt that the story in Majora's Mask was too short. There were a lot of details and cool stuff happening in the game. But I felt that it wasn't enough for me. I love sidequests, but I didn't feel that those stories were too involved either. I felt that Ocarina of Time's story was told wonderfully and that the sidequests fit very well with the story. If you did them, it actually enhanced the basis of the "regular story," instead of giving you insight on the characters that didn't do anything to help you in your quest.

The only thing that I see that completely blasts Ocarina of Time out of the water were all of the improvements that Majora's Mask made to the existing system. Majora's Mask was smooth, dynamic, good looking, and very well done. In a sense, you could say that Ocarina of Time's engine was the beta version of Majora's Mask's engine. Majora's Mask's engine is just plain superior to Ocarina of Time's. I felt that the playing of Majora's Mask was almost intuitive on the N64 (and the Virtual Console port) in that playing it felt natural and easy.

So, all-in-all, even with the superior game engine and game play, i feel that Majora's Mask falls a little short of Ocarina of Time. Both are wonderful games that can pose a great challenge to the inexperienced player. And I love them both the same.

Comparing these two, honestly, is like asking if you pack your lunch or take the bus to school. The games are so different. The one I can replay over and over and over without getting bored is MM, does that make it better? (well, "better" is an opinion, isn't it?) So my opinion is I like Majora's Mask more. OOT is good too, it was the first Zelda game I played, and I will always love it for that. But MM is my favorite.

And yet I fear comparing them makes people dislike the other. Don't deny it, some of you are feeling that way. They are both fantastic and different games!

This said, you will never get a poll where more people vote for MM over OOT.

I think that if you took the good aspects of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and combined them, you would have one heck of a Zelda game.

^This.
I look at OOT and MM together, as they follow the adventures of the same boy. :D OOT is the Ganon and Zelda part, with lots of dungeons, while MM is the character depth and side quests.

Escohobita

King of Those Who Know
Ocarina of Time, because I like the dungeons in OoT so much more than in Majora's Mask (although Stone Tower Temple is probably the greatest dungeon ever made in the Zelda universe), not to mention I just find playing OoT more enjoyable. Oh yeah and for another random reason I also like the music better in OoT (yes, the quality of the music is something I take into account when rating or discussing how great a game is).

D

Desolation

IMO, Majora's mask was too easy and kind of creepy, I enjoyed OoT mainly because it was old fashioned fun, and no time limit.

I do prefer oot over mm.

But i always knew oot was going to be an amazing game.
MM before i played it i was not sure if it would be good as there is no ganon.

But although it is short just 4 levels its much harder than oot.
So i ended up being much better than i expected.
Heart pieces hard to get.
Best is 14

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom