• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Majora's Mask Moon Children

I think the idea that these quotes thematically resemble the stories of their respective areas is spot on. They also seem like questions the skull kid might have been asking himself after the giants left him. These questions are central to the story in the sense that good characters have the right answers for them and bad characters have the wrong answers for them.
Odolwa Child: Your friends... What kind of... people are they? I wonder... Do these people... think of you... as a friend?
This child essentially doubts the mutual nature of friendship, or the value of supporting a two-way friendship. This could relate to the Deku King imprisoning a former ally, in a way that is actually counterproductive to his goals. Had he trusted his ally, they could have found her faster. "What kind of people are they?" is an important question you must answer before trust can be established.

Goht Child: What makes you happy? I wonder...what makes you happy...does it make...others happy, too?
Is happiness a zero sum game, or not? Skull Kid seems to be deriving happiness from playing pranks on people...except we all know how "happy" he really is. This reminds me heavily of the scene where the Goron grandfather rushes back to town to calm his crying grandson. That little ritual surrounding the Goron Lullaby had a meaning to the family that went beyond just making a child sleep. When the Goron hero is comforted by the song of healing, he sees the adoration of his people, a sign of how his actions had made them happy in the past.

Gyorg Child: The right thing...what is it? I wonder...if you do the right thing...does it really make...everybody...happy?
Mikau is the only one who tried to help Lulu reclaim her eggs. The rest of the Zora are too busy preparing for their own role in the Festival of Time to help her. Even if it weren't for the fact that helping Lulu was actually the way to save the concert, it should have been more important to find her eggs anyway. Skull kid has certainly lost faith in the value of doing the right thing, as well.

Twinmold Child: Your true face... What kind of... face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?
We know that the skull kid wore masks to make himself look tougher, even before finding Majoras mask. This makes me think about the way his behavior changes when he acquires Majora's Mask. Does who he was before he put on the mask really change what he has become due to his actions? How can you define a person's true nature? This also relates to the quote from Igos du Ikana, "on my kingdom shine the light of justice". Justice treats people according to their actions, while light (symbolically) reveals the true nature of things.

His earlier quote, "believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure... these feelings have vanished from our hearts", could apply to all four of these.

Majora Child: ...Everyone has gone away, haven't they? Will you play...with me? You don't have any masks left, do you? Well, let's do something else. Let's play good guys against bad guys... Yes. Let's play that. Are you ready? You're the bad guy, and when you're bad, you just run. That's fine right?
"Everyone has gone away" would seem to parallel the sense of abandonment that characterizes skull kid, and the emphasis on play also mirrors his childlike nature. Whatever Majora is, it's likely (her?) story parallels his in some way, which would also be why her final form is Wrath. Calling Link the bad guy has led to many wildly different interpretations, but it could be they are talking about Link running from Hyrule, running from your own mortality (symbolized by the falling moon and unbreakable time cycle), or just that he sees you as bad from his perspective. It's worth noting that the Japanese version of this quote is considerably different.

I suspect that Majora is a sun Goddess, and her wrath may be due to the fact that she was sealed into a mask or the fact that she is no longer worshiped by the people of Termina. When you kill Majora's Wrath she essentially forgives the people of Termina, with the rainbow being an allusion to the Bible, and God's covenant not to flood the earth again. Furthermore, if the Fierce Deity represents the moon, then the battle between he and majora is like a celestial parallel to the events that play out between the skull kid and the giants, as well between Link and the land of Hyrule. There is a lot of evidence for this theory but I don't want to clutter a post that is largely about symbolism with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom