• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask + Hollow Earth Theory Concept

I know that any theory about MM is a can of worms. I also know that both the game and HH stress that Termina is in a different dimension. Its canon, I agree with it and I'm not challenging that.

This thread is to determine if the the Hollow Earth theory may have been used as inspiration for MM's concept at some point during story development.

The hollow earth theory is a theory which works on the notion that the planet is hollow, filled with long corridors or islands and continents and some believe that within the earth is a central sun.

History of the Hollow Earth Theory more info here.

We all know Link falls down a hole and walks a long twisting corridor into Termina, which kind of gives the notion Termina is underground; in this we have two traits of the Hollow earth theory, Termina also has its nights and days hence a possible central sun. A lot of the theory could probably fit.

So does anyone think it is possible that nintendo used this theory for the concept of MM at some point?

(i know this is far flung and reaching but the HH has made theorising things a bit more difficult)

Last edited:

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I think this is a bit far-fetched. The hole could've been a cliff, or the opening to a very deep cave. Termina could've just been on lower ground.

It's also possible that the cave/hole was the transport-through-dimension portal. I think this is very possible. In many mythology's caves have been some sort of portal. For example, in Greek mythology there was a cave that lead to the Underworld.

Anyway, the Hollow-Earth Theory has always been interesting, but I still don't quite understand it. If the Earth was truly hollow, scientists would know that, especially with today's technology. It's a theory though.

You can also see the Sun and Moon in Termina. So it's not really underground unless Termina had its own Moon and Sun, but the blue sky wouldn't be easy to explain. Termina could've been in a wide, wide crevice, or, more likely a large valley completely separated from the rest of the world.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well I think that there must have been some kind of portal to Termina rather than it actually being inside the earth. That is what I believe link is travelling through when he falls.

Smoore

The Rational Theist
I think more likely, Hyrule exists in a flat earth. Hyrule is on one side, and Termina is on the other. That is why they are mirrors of each other. When Link fell into Termina, he actually fell through the ground and "popped out" on the other side of the world.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I think more likely, Hyrule exists in a flat earth. Hyrule is on one side, and Termina is on the other. That is why they are mirrors of each other. When Link fell into Termina, he actually fell through the ground and "popped out" on the other side of the world.

I always saw like that too

I don't get how this could work with all of the mountains t ocean and stuff. Also, how would they've gotten there originally?

Shhh it was late at night and i was being asked to come up with a new thread, this is the first thing i could think of, though some Hollow earth theorists do believe there to be water under the crust with the centre of gravity holding it there. the hollow earth thing is largely BS anyway, this thread was just asking is the vague concept could have been a slight inspiration, much like it could have been inspired by the Alice in Wonderland series.... so don't think too hard on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom