• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Majora`s Mask...seriously?

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I understand where you're coming from, Kayla.

When I first started MM, I was really excited because it was ZELDA. But when I figured out that I was being timed, I panicked. I'm one of those people who can relate to a game so well that I start to think that they can feel actual emotions and pain. So I began to worry about what would happen if I didn't have enough time and the moon crashed and everyone died? The world would end based on MY mistakes. I hated the feeling at first, but even after beating the game I never ran out of time.

Once I got over the feeling of guilt if I ran out of time I plunged back in to Termina. I finished the main story, and I still have all the sidequests and stuff to do that revolve around the 3 short days! Before I even beat the game I decided that MM was my favorite Zelda game. It's now tied with OoT3D.

I understand the feeling for sure, but looking back at my experience with MM I'm glad I got back into the game.

Sonicbowling

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!
I used to really hate Majora's Mask before I realized I could save at the owl statues. I have bad experiences saving with Song of Time. Now it's my favorite game of all time! MM has arguably the best gameplay elements put into a Zelda game, which is the main reason I love it so much.

Try playing it again, I didn't appreciate MM till my 2'nd playthrough. Probably because I didn't have as many massive fails that time around.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I absolutely adore Majora's Mask. It is, beyond any doubt, my favorite Zelda game, and my personal favorite game period.

What sealed it for me is the three-day system. The time limit that the game imposes on players is something rarely, if ever, seen in gaming, and it adds a whole new time management gameplay dimension. Want to do sidequests? You'll need to plan ahead how to do those, because you don't have much time in one cycle. Deed trading? That's a full cycle. Gilded Sword? That's a full cycle. Anju and Kafei? That's SEVERAL full cycles. Oh, what's that? There's a main quest? Well that's at least nine or ten cycles. Planning cycles ahead isn't all, though. Using the Song of Double Time and Song of Inverted Time to manipulate the cycle adds even more depth to the time factor. The sense of urgency, of rush, made it all the more pressing to manipulate the flow of time correctly. And to accomplish a cycle-long event felt oh-so satisfying.

The Mask system was incredibly innovative. I loved the Happy Mask Sidequest in OoT, and to have that on an even grander scale was amazing. Masks like the Stone Mask, the Bunny Hood, and the Garo Mask were not only visually appealing, but had some incredibly inventive functions that rank high on my favorite Zelda items. This is to speak nothing of the four transformation masks, giving Link a wide repertoire of abilities in addition to his items. All of these combined made for some devilishly challenging dungeons - though I love the game, I still have nightmares about the Great Bay and Stone Tower Temples.

In short, I loved Majora's Mask 40% because of the Time mechanic, 40% because of the importance and function of Masks, and 20% because of the classic Zelda formula.

Last edited:
N

nintendolovebug

I love how the time works on MM it was great! Like the rush feling was awesome!
Like to know that you only have 3 days to safe the world ! Pretty amazing! I love it love it!!!

skybird11

state alchemist
the time goes at a slow enough speed but the game is ridiculously hard. there were many parts where i was like "what do i do now?" and tatl didnt help much in answering that question. i found the game to be really annoying, especially the fish boss. its the worst zelda game ive played so far. its also VERY repetative.

I know what you mean, being timed stresses me out a lot. I panicked my way from one end of the Temple of the Ocean King to the other.

Majora's Mask I loved right away, though. I was 11 at the time I first played it, and I wanted to play it for silly reasons, like being able to ride young Epona and Link being my age the entire game. The first three days were the most stressful part, only an hour to do what, at the time, felt like a lot of things, and this being the first experience with the time limit as well. But that's the point. I'm sure Link was pretty stressed and overwhelmed during those first 72 hours too, watching a giant moon come down towards the town where he's trapped in a form he's not used to and with no idea how he'd stop a falling moon even if he were his normal self. After everything he'd been through it would take a lot to unsettle him, but, boy, I bet that did it!

After the first 3 days I used the Inverted Song of Time and found myself planning things, once I reached something I knew I could save, a song, an item, an owl statue, I played the song of time. Yes, it probably made the game take ten times longer than it should have, but it worked for a silly little 11-year-old girl with a fear of timers and a tendency to get worked up over video games. And I didn't often find myself worried about the time, although the Kafei/Anju quest stressed me because to finish it you have to wait while the bell is ringing. The earthquakes on the final day were usually my signal to find a good saving point and reset time!

Playing and beating Majora's Mask was a big achievement in my childhood because of my stress over being timed, it taught me how to deal with pressure, how to plan and schedule things. And I really loved the game. I didn't go back to it for the timer, no, I went back to it and played it through for everything else. Everyone talks about the time-limit, and yeah, that's an important part of the game, but there's a whole lot more to it. I hope you do play it again, because I think you'll like it more now that you've got a handle on being timed.

Majora's Mask is still my favorite video game.

The timing mechanic isn't bad at all if you stop and think about it. You can make time move half as slowly whenever you want. You can also do as little or as much as you want in each cycle. I feel like people don't realize that you don't have to complete a whole dungeon in the same cycle. If you have the dungeon item then you can just save and skip that section of the dungeon in the next cycle

I didnt really HATE it hate it,I just am not the kind of person to work well under pressure xD What I did enjoy was the way you get to know each character in depth.I also LOVED playing as a Goron! I freaken love Gorons,and when I saw we could play as them,I was hooked!
I used and abused the song to slow down time,Id panic in a dungeon when it was already the second night,but in the end I was able to finish it,and had alot of time left xD I guess it was my nerves.But it is a game I would play again,since I got the hang of the time deal.At first its super intimidating you have to admit :S

That's exactly how I felt after my first time through. When I was younger, Majora's Mask was one of my least favorite Zelda games. As I got older, though, I began to appreciate the deepness of the story and the wide array of emotions I felt while playing. The time limit was what killed the game for me the first time through, but as I played it more as a teenager, I got used to it and even enjoyed it as a challenge to see how much I could get done in one cycle, trying to get through a dungeon and several side quests in just three days.

The same thing happened with Pikmin, another time-limit game that grew on me, though that didn't have quite the depth of story and character that Majora's Mask did.

Majora's Mask is now my favorite game of all time.

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
Hmmmm restarting the time cycle every 1 1/2 to 2 hours made you feel rushed. Wow, just wow. If you played the inverted song of time you had too much time on your hands. Surprised you didn't like it though. I feel it is the most innovative game in the series. But hey, everyone has different opinions. All my favorite Zelda games have one thing in common. They don't take place in Hyrule.(I count ST as a game in Hyrule) And the time cycle never bothered me because you had forever before you had to reset it.

I love the time aspect. All u gotta do is use the inverted song of time and you're good! But yea, when I first played it, I didn't like it too much either. Its one of those games you gotta play a few times, and do all the side quests. Its mad fulfilling to do them all. Today, its my favorite console game ever, I play it way more than OoT. OoT gets old, eventually, tho I'd love to play it in 3D. There's a reason MM got the best game of all time recently.

i personally loved Majora's Mask i'll agree about being rushed that's a bit of a hastle but you could always learn the song that slows down time to save you the stress, but the more you progress the more amazing it gets and you'll start to grow attatchments to some of the characters because you can't save everyone, because when you reset time everyone you did save is back to their situation

AwesomeLink86

Link is awesome!!
There are parts that I loved about it, but there are things I hated about it. To me, it has one of the most boring playthroughs. The sidequests are somewhat fun and plentyful, but completing the main story to be is yawn worthy. The only temple I liked to playthrough was the last one, but I don't think I've played it since my first playthrough the game. The Stray Fairy quests were stupid and annoying. If I had to choose between this game and OoT, I would definitely go with OoT. JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom