• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds *MAJOR SPOILERS* What Do You Think About the Ending?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So I just completed the game, great game by the way, anyway here's my thoughts:

First off, I was half spoiled by the ending. I didn't know how the exact events played out, but people were mentioning something about Ravio so I kind if suspected he'd play a part near the end. And I was spoilt by Hilda before the game was released *sigg*. Anyway, I think I would have sort if figured that out anyway. Hilda was always watching over Zelda's painting yet you would think she'd by struggling to withstand the brute force of Yuganon(?). And Ravio was just too mysterious to not be explained - though it was nice when his true identify was revealed.

I really loved how it played out and, even though the story was abandoned throughout the majority, it still was great due to the ending putting everything in perspective. Lorule is a completely new world (I'm sorry but I can't believe that ts related to Termina etc.) and it's story mirrors that of Hyrule. However, it gives a view of what would happen without the Triforce... utter devastation. Even though Lorule is very much it's own world, it is still very much similar to Hyrule and it gives us an insight into Hyrule in chaos - reminiscent of Hyrule during the Adult Era in Ocarina of Time. It's kind of sad really and it makes me feel for Hilda and the people's of Lorule as we can relate them to Hyrule.

The Triforce being destroyed within Lorule pretty much explained Ravio and Hilda themselves. We all know that the Triforce has some sort of draw to it. It can manipulate people and change them fie to its immense power. This is shown by Hilda, a noble Princess, was ready to destroy an opposing world just so that she could have her own power back. It also explains why Ravio, the hero of Lorule, could never save the land on his own. Ravio did not have courage (as he even stated) this is because no Triforce was present so his destiny--which is forged by the Triforce--could not play out.

However, Ravio still severed his role as a hero. He did the only thing he could do, help Lorule by in turn helping a young boy in green in Hyrule. It explains why he popped up and why he had so many key items. Without Ravio Link wouldn't have been able to accomplish peace within both Kingdoms and vice versa. Although, I don't quite get how he hints that he once served Hilda (presumably in heroic actions) yet he states that he was a never a true hero.

Anyway, I really liked Hilda; she had a unique personality with a darker side to her. I thought that she was actually very reminiscent of Midna; her intentions, originally, were solely selfish for Lorule and it was only near the end where she finally realised her mistake. At the end of the day she was only trying to save her own Kingdom. Maybe she didn't go about it the right way, but she was on no way evil. Also, I liked how the final boss played out- seeing Yuga betray Hilda was something I didn't expect and it truly shows that he was the villain. I kind of expected Ganon to take over at one point, but he was still just a lifeless shell which carries over from the latter events of the Oracles.

---

Those are my initial thoughts anyway;. There is still much to be talked about; especially the appearance of the Sacred Realms in both worlds, the actual appearance of the Sacred Realm (Hyrule) and why the crack appeared in Lorule. Anyway, great ending. Slightly cliché, but it was nice to see both worlds in peace at the end.

IMO, I thought the Yuga-turning-against-Hilda scenario was too compressed to be as effective as it was supposed to be. I understand why they framed it the way they did - they want you to believe Hilda is actually out to help you until the last possible moment - but the rapid transition from "wait, this lady is actually trying to kill me?" to "wait, Yuga is actually manipulating her?" didn't really work well for me. Pity, because I liked the underlying idea.

I also kind of wish that there was another final fight with a Ganon who is now free of Yuga after the existing final battle. Yeah, it would have become "plot hijacked by Ganon," but there was something less satisfying about the Yuga-Ganon hybrid. It almost made Ganon feel cheap.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I have to say I enjoyed this game. It's ending has to be one of the greatest, even though it is a little cliche. I am thankful we didn't fight Hilda, and was happy with how she played out. Her betrayal was not a complete shock, I just wish we knew more about how the triforce was missing BEFORE the finale, but what can you do now? Ravio being lorule link didn't completely surprise me, I was spoiled when it first came out.

And I smacked myself in the head at the end for not suspecting Ravio to be LINK, I just knew he was lorule guy. I didn't make the connection to how he was dressed up like a bunny, as alttp turned into a bunny.

I liked the ending I thought that they pulled it off well esp. when hilda showed her true desperate side. To me what really sold the plot is not HAVING Ganon be revived. I liked how Yuga fused with him. The ending was predictable to me after the final boss but I thought it was really good.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Ooh I actually really liked the ending. I already had an idea the Hilda was part of the overall scheme just from her dialogue and how she was portrayed thoughout the game. What really caught me was Ravio being the Link of Lorule. In retrospect, it all does make perfect sense. I enjoyed this game and thought it had a great ending.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Ending was sort of eh for me. I had figured out Hilda was going to do the double cross fairly early on so it only really elicited an eye roll when it actually happened. Then she got talked down from her most desperate moment in a span of a few minutes. Then everyone pooped rainbows and sunshine and the Dark Triforce came back.

Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Yeah, the whole Hilda thing was pretty obvious. No, not the entire game.... But as soon as I actually got the exposition about how Lorule's Triforce was destroyed, it was easy to put two and two together. I do wish that we had more of an idea of why Lorule was suffering so much, maybe with more back story on Yuga and things like that. Maybe Hilda's betrayal might've been more surprising if we had gotten more of that, but with the way it was structured, it was expected.

Ravio was the true plot twist, and I applaud Nintendo for pulling off a legitimate one. A "legitimate" plot twist, to me, is one that was properly foreshadowed, but one that was subtle enough to make the viewer/player not notice the hints the first time through. The whole character of Ravio was exactly that. The deserted house in Lorule that's in the exact same place as yours, the fact that he just happened to have all of the weapons Link needed, and his desire to help Link succeed all matched up perfectly with his reveal. I'm surprised that, in a handheld Zelda game, they managed to do that so effectively. Just a good finishing touch on an amazing game.

LegendofLex said:
I also kind of wish that there was another final fight with a Ganon who is now free of Yuga after the existing final battle. Yeah, it would have become "plot hijacked by Ganon," but there was something less satisfying about the Yuga-Ganon hybrid. It almost made Ganon feel cheap.

Agreed. I was expecting Ganon to be the final boss of the game when he was first revealed in the Nintendo Direct a few days prior to ALBW's release so I was pleasantly surprised to see Yuga pulling the strings after Ganon's revival. Maybe Ganon's submission was due to his lack of intelligent thinking from craving power or being sealed away for so long, but it seemed out of tune with his usual conniving character.

Although in the plot's defense, Ganon was equally dim-witted upon revival in the Oracles so maybe bringing him back from the Sacred Realm separates him from his more intelligent human persona.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
And I smacked myself in the head at the end for not suspecting Ravio to be LINK, I just knew he was lorule guy. I didn't make the connection to how he was dressed up like a bunny, as alttp turned into a bunny.

Holy crap, good catch dude, that had never dawned on me, but yeah, the fact that Ravio was a Pink Bunny from the Dark World, should have been an obvious connection to him being Link. Good stuff Doc, i haven't heard anyone else make that connection. and its just amazing that you put that together. and i am now amazed that the connection and find it extremely clever reference on Nintendos part, kinda wish i had thought of it. so i will say it again Kudos, Great catch!

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Although in the plot's defense, Ganon was equally dim-witted upon revival in the Oracles so maybe bringing him back from the Sacred Realm separates him from his more intelligent human persona.

Perhaps, but only for a while if that's the case. The Original LoZ occurs after ALBW chronologically and Ganon is operating at full capacity at that point.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I wouldn't say that I was surprised at the ending. At least for most of it I wasn't. I had a hunch that Ravio was Lorule's version of Link, but at the same time I wasn't entirely sure. I also didn't know about Hilda turning out to be one of the antagonists, but still that plot twist wasn't enough to make me feel startled about that development.

The thing that made me love the ending though was the part when Hilda was sending Link and Princess Zelda back to their world. The music that played as they went back to their homeland just cemented the feeling of despair I had for Lorule. Just knowing that their world was about to cease to exist made me feel sad for them. Then after that part, that plot twist that occurred with Princess Zelda and Link making the wish on the Triforce was what really pushed me into the category of saying that this was a good ending.

I've had very few endings for games make me get emotional towards a game, but the part where they wished Lorule's Triforce back into existence, made me get emotional. Not emotional as in crying emotional, but emotional as in having 'shivers go down your spine from all the happiness' emotional. Because of that little moment there, it made me absolutely love the ending. :)

Granted there was still a few things that could've been done to make it better, that still doesn't change the fact that I do consider it to be an overall good ending.

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
Boss battle wise, it was disappointing. Only two extremely easy rounds again Yuganon? Extremely disappointing.

Story wise, amazing. Absolutely touching. It shows the rebirth of a world which could mean a sequel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom