• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds *MAJOR SPOILERS* What Do You Think About the Ending?

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
*WARNING: THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING FOR A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS IN THIS THREAD.* If you have not completed the game and don't want the ending spoiled for you, turn back now.

So, for those of you who have beaten the game, what did you think about the ending?

I'm actually kinda mad about how it all played out, actually. Up til the throne room it had been a relatively simple plot of "bad guy wants to take over the world, summon the sages then kick his butt using the Triforce of Courage". And I had been totally fine with that. But the ending just leaves a sour taste in my mouth for some reason. I don't know if it's the seemingly out-of-nowhere heel-faced turn where she reveals she's been working with Yuga the whole time, the fact that she couldn't tell that Yuga would have turned against her, the flimsy excuse that "she's just doing this for her people", or the awkward transition into totally-good princess after Ravio talks some sense into her. But something just seems off for me.

I think the whole thing would have been so much simpler for her had she just come right out and ask for Zelda and Link's help in getting her own Triforce back instead of duping them into some drawn-out quest and tricking them into giving Hyrule's Triforce to her. But that's just me.

What about you guys?

67ghost

no you're not
i thought the ending was good. and it took Hilda a lot of time to convince i didn't see any problem there. Hilda is opposite to Zelda so she wasn't smart enough to predict Yuga or think of another solution Yuga probably told her stealing the Triforce was the only way . overall i liked the ending.

The ending wasn't really random or not foreshadowed. If I remember correctly, Yuga mentioned something about pleasing "her" at the beginning of the game. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact quote by me, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out next time I replay the game in the near future.

Also, I found it fishy that Hilda could stop Yuga Ganon, a creature with immense strength by virtue of the Triforce. It was a well conceived ploy, and I personally loved seeing a character with good intentions but misguided means to achieve those goals.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmmm I liked it though. Hilda is Zelda her counterpart but Zelda is more wise and Hilda is more desperate. Hilda was desperated and grabbed every opportunity to restore Lorule's triforce. I bet Yuga convinced her somehow to work together with him in stealing the triforce. I had a feeling Hilda would not be sincere but I couldn't accept her being totally evil. And I'm glad she wasn't. I like Hilda and hope she will return someday in a game

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I haven't played the game but I watched the ending. I could care less for the game itself.

The ending is cool. Hilda was working with Yuga the whole time, Ravio is Lorule's Link, Link and Zelda wish for Lorule's Triforce back. It's not the best video game ending in my eyes, but certainly it's not the worst. Not as good as Twilight Princess' epic ending.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I am IN LOVE with the ending of this game. Directly after I beat it I played through the final dungeon again just so I could see the ending again.

I loved the twist that they were working together, yet Yuga had his own intentions. I loved Hilda's motives and I reeeeeally loved the whole Ravio being Lorule's hero and Link's opposite. and I RREEEEEALLY loved that Link and Zelda wished for Lorule's triforce back.
The only thing I didn't love was how quickly Hilda realized the error of her ways when Ravio was talking to her. Found that transition a little too quick for my liking. Other than that, fantastic ending

Fig

The Altruist
I am IN LOVE with the ending of this game. Directly after I beat it I played through the final dungeon again just so I could see the ending again.

I loved the twist that they were working together, yet Yuga had his own intentions. I loved Hilda's motives and I reeeeeally loved the whole Ravio being Lorule's hero and Link's opposite. and I RREEEEEALLY loved that Link and Zelda wished for Lorule's triforce back.
The only thing I didn't love was how quickly Hilda realized the error of her ways when Ravio was talking to her. Found that transition a little too quick for my liking. Other than that, fantastic ending

Pretty much the same way how I felt when I finished. I swear I couldn't control my feels/emotions once I found out Hilda's ambitions. I was upset at her but at the same I can understand why she did it. The twist that Hilda was also working with Yuga was incredible to witness. As for Yuga's betrayal, I wasn't surprised and acutally kind of expecting it. I mean Yuga did obtained the Triforce of Power and we all know how that goes with the many villains in the franchise's rich history. My feels were at its greatest when I was revealed who Ravio truly was. I felt so bad how Ravio stated how he was afraid and that he was a coward and decided to go to Hyrule just to find someone who could help bring him the courage that he was looking for. The greatest scene was when Link and Zelda wished for Lorule to gain back its Triforce. I personally cried when I saw that happened. All in all, ALBW has one of the greatest endings of all time and possibly the greatest in all of the Zelda series! Can't wait to replay the game again in Hero Mode once I finish off college for this semester which ends this week! X3

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I adored the ending. It was definitely forshadowed -- Yuga mentioned "Her Grace" at the beginning of the game and tells Zelda he prefers dark-haired maidens or something to that extent. Plus, you always see Hilda speaking with Zelda's portrait: don't you think she would free her if she had good intentions?

I do see where you're coming from, however. I think Hilda changed her mind too quickly. (Besides... Hilda totally should have been a boss! Seriously! Can you imagine how epic that would have been, with her incredible magic powers?) We know very little of her relationship with Ravio, so perhaps it is plausible that he had so much influence that he could convince her quickly, but I didn't like how she was so willing to let them go, if that makes any sense. In fact, now that I think of it, with what you said about her just asking Zelda... Don't you think she would have then? Once she decided she didn't want to doom Hyrule? After all, she was indirectly dooming her own kingdom instead... You'd think she'd be a bit more desperate to save it in SOME way, even if her previous plan failed. Prior to that, though, as for why she didn't ask Zelda, I think that Vanessa's probably on the mark: she was desperate, and I imagine Yuga had plenty of manipulation to spare. And if you consider the absolute shock she had at the very ending when her Triforce was restored, I think it was pretty clear that she had never considered that possiblity.

One thing I also found really strange about the ending was how there were still enemies in Lorule Castle; you'd think that Hilda wouldn't even bother, knowing that Link already had the Triforce. That... I don't really understand.

But I honestly do think it was one of the best video game endings I've seen in a while. I felt so much emotion toward the characters -- and that's especially funny, considering that I'd been previously criticizing this game for having bland, boring characters and very little plot. (Actually, I still think it does, but man, that ending was fantastic... At least the main characters are awesome!)

The greatest scene was when Link and Zelda wished for Lorule to gain back its Triforce. I personally cried when I saw that happened.
Oh gosh, yes. I DIDN'T cry -- I never have in a video game -- but that was probably the closest I've ever come to doing so! The best part was the characters' EXPRESSIONS! The look on Hilda's face MAJORLY brought on the emotion, haha. And her little sob of joy at the end really brought it all home.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
Well the idea of Hilda being a villain is good in itself, regardless in how it was implemented.

67ghost

no you're not

hmm that didn't bother me but i always read endings slowly to make it last

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The ending wasn't really random or not foreshadowed. If I remember correctly, Yuga mentioned something about pleasing "her" at the beginning of the game. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact quote by me, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out next time I replay the game in the near future.

Yes, he said something along the lines of "Yes, I think this portrait will please Her Grace.". So, the ending was not not foreshadowed in anyway. However, I will say this: I am disappointed that we didn't get to fight Hilda. There's no reason that she would show such desperation but not get to use said desperation. Except, maybe she had that Triforce of Wisdom still in her presence, so she was able to be persuaded by good chap Ravio?

The ending was by no means bad, it just wasn't pulled off the way I was sort of expecting them to be. Hilda had much more potential but I can't really get ticked off that it wasn't fully used.

For much more detailed explanation of what I'm feeling, check this thread out http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums...so-i-have-a-new-favorite-zelda-character.html

Salem

SICK
Yeah, I agree with you guys,, it would be awesome to finally fight an actual princess after all these years of saving them. But alas, she gets defeated by talk no jutsu.....

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Yeah, I agree with you guys,, it would be awesome to finally fight an actual princess after all these years of saving them. But alas, she gets defeated by talk no jutsu.....

Now see, that's the part I actually LIKED. The fact that Ravio, the Lorulean hero, uses his words instead of actions to resolve his issues. When Hilda was acting out of mad desperation, and not even Yuga's betrayal nor Link's victory over him could persuade her otherwise, it took the wise words of that world's hero to talk her down. Her transition still happened too suddenly for my liking (I wish that we were able to fight her in some sense) but Ravio ending up being the big hero of the day was a really good move IMO.

Now that I've had more time to think about the ending, I think I'm just more mad at Hilda's stupidity resulting from her recklessness & desperation than anything. I started up a Hero Mode right afterwards, and yeah I can see how it was foreshadowed... I'm probably just an idiot for not noticing it sooner... but her quick mood swings a the end just seemed (and still seem) off for me.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

You do, in TP when Ganon posesses one.

Salem

SICK
Now see, that's the part I actually LIKED. The fact that Ravio, the Lorulean hero, uses his words instead of actions to resolve his issues. When Hilda was acting out of mad desperation, and not even Yuga's betrayal nor Link's victory over him could persuade her otherwise, it took the wise words of that world's hero to talk her down. Her transition still happened too suddenly for my liking (I wish that we were able to fight her in some sense) but Ravio ending up being the big hero of the day was a really good move IMO.

Now that I've had more time to think about the ending, I think I'm just more mad at Hilda's stupidity resulting from her recklessness & desperation than anything. I started up a Hero Mode right afterwards, and yeah I can see how it was foreshadowed... I'm probably just an idiot for not noticing it sooner... but her quick mood swings a the end just seemed (and still seem) off for me.
But I still wanted to fight her....

You do, in TP when Ganon posesses one.
Zelda was possessed by Ganon, that's different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom