• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Help Magnavox Odyssey Not Downloading Games

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...

So I have a bit of a console conundrum for you guys. My Magnavox Odyssey 200 doesn’t want to download games from the Internet and I’m not exactly sure why. The first thing I noticed is that it doesn’t seem to have any kind of access port that will allow me to connect a landline phone cable to the console, so I’m assuming it’s Wi-Fi only. Anyway, no matter what I do I can’t seem to connect my Odyssey to the internet (I have Wi-Fi of course). I realize the 200 is an older model but there is no reason why it shouldn’t be connecting considering its apparent ability to connect to the ARPANE…I mean the Internet in the post 2003 wireless era.

Could it be my modem? I have a 56 kps modem so I’m thinking the problem could be that my speed is just too slow and the modem outdated. Would you recommend that I upgrade to DSL to fix the issue?

Anyway, I haven’t played my Odyssey in a long time but I found it in my closet a few days ago and I’ve been having a lot of fun with it. I have 9 card boards and thus all the games available through them. You wouldn’t believe how fun Volleyball and Hockey are even though they’re so retro in design, lol. The only game that I don’t like is Ski which is surprisingly broken overall. Most of the games I’d give a decent 3 out of 5 stars, but Hockey and Volleyball are solid 5 out of 5. Tennis is a solid 4 out of 5. Also, the “Smash” bonus for the 200 models is SICK. Anyway, I’d like to download some more games from the Internet as gameplay has been getting a little old with the games I’m currently playing. The 400 and later models had several new games made for them which I assume are part of an online store, and I’d also like to download the update that allows you to see the digital scoring features actually on-screen – which I assume is still being offered through Magnavox’s website of course.

Anyway, my specs are below in case that is helpful for this diagnosis (maybe I’ll have to interface my Odyssey with my computer?). And just as an update, I decided to start using my Gateway again and not the new iMac. I just couldn’t get used to the colorwheel. It’s still slow when I run Windows Clock, but it’s better than having to stare at the colorwheel ad infinitum, lol.

Console:

Magnavox Odyssey 200

Release Year: 1975

Generation: First Gen

Design: Digital console with analog circuitry for video output. Games and logic are implemented in DTL using discrete transistors and diodes. Game knobs on the console control binary unit selecting features. It came with some old sort of Texas Instruments multi-chip components but was later hacked by my grandfather a few decades ago to incorporate AY-3-8500 (single IC chip) technology.

Games: Removable printed circuit board game cards that insert into a slot similar to a ROM cartridge slot; these do not contain any components but have a series of jumpers between pins of the card connector. The jumpers interconnect different logic and signal generators to produce the desired game logic and screen output components respectively.

Power: 6 C batteries

Sound: None

Controller: Comes with console-embedded knobs, but my grandfather also hacked it so that he could use the more comfortable Phillips Odyssey analog game controller (a clone of the original Magnavox Odyssey’s controller), and I have a “light gun” periphery*** as well. Also comes with a pad and pen to keep score.

Computer:

1996 Gateway laptop PC.

It has 256 MB of DDR-400. Finally got around to upgrading from 4 MB of RAM.

It has a 512 MB IDE hard drive.

It has a 16-bit accelerated AMD video card.

It has an awesome '97 RCA wavetable synthesis sound card. Creative Sound Blaster 16 (bit).

It has a 1985 Intel i386 12 MHz processor.

I have a 56 kb/s modem. I tend to use Netscape over IE 2.

I just bought a brand new IDE (8x) CD-ROM (off Ebay) to replace my floppy drive.

It has an 800 x 600, 8-bit resolution screen.

It runs on Windows 3.1 OS.

***Speaking of this, every time I point my light gun at the light bulb in my room the console registers a “hit”. Any ideas on how to stop that from happening?

Big Octo

=^)
If you're lucky he might be older than the machine and might offer some help.

I know a few basics though. Have you looked into the Toaster peripheral? Maybe if you put your Ethernet cables in the toaster, it'll connect your Odyssey to the Internet.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
No. But I don't see how that would help.

Hey, buddy, calm down. Maybe if you listened to people more often instead of talking **** you'd be able to connect to the internet.

The easiest way is probably to just open up the console and solder a simple ethernet NIC to the circuit board, though this can be difficult if you aren't familiar with the pattern used by this particular unit. Once you've done that, connect it to your modem and then try to dial a local BBS. From there you could probably get more detailed instructions.

Hey, buddy, calm down. Maybe if you listened to people more often instead of talking **** you'd be able to connect to the internet.

repentance, how fighting everyday lives?

Salem

SICK
Have you considered changing the console? maybe The Manavox Odyssey will download games if you do.

Ganondork

goo
I think the fix for this is running a magnet across your motherboard. This will overclock it so that it can send downloads through the Cloud right onto your device. Unfortunately, your current resolution isn't going to allow for you to actually see the process, which can be easily fixed as well. Take the biggest rock in your yard and just slam it into the monitor. You'll crack open the layer that is meant to protect you from radiation, but cracking it open offers better resolution. In order to survive this radiation, wear a lead vest and helmet. Last but not least, delete system32, as I am sure that is taking up a lot of useless memory.

This is just a tip, but I suggest you get some more ram. http://downloadmoreram.com is a very useful website.

Aw, and here I was thinking this was a serious thread, but instead it serves no purpose. Scratch that, perhaps there is a purpose: to serve as testament to how much of a joke the Science and Technology section turned out to be. And my hopes were held so high for it, too.

Aw, and here I was thinking this was a serious thread, but instead it serves no purpose. Scratch that, perhaps there is a purpose: to serve as testament to how much of a joke the Science and Technology section turned out to be. And my hopes were held so high for it, too.

Yeah. I hate bait and switch too. I really wanted there to be a Magnavox Odyssey that could download games with a little troubleshooting. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I hate bait and switch too. I really wanted there to be a Magnavox Odyssey that could download games with a little troubleshooting. :rolleyes:

I really thought that some new member was asking a serious question or something, and then I saw Batman's username there and went, "Sigh."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom