• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Magic

Anyone else Miss the Magic Meter?

Is it just me, or do other people miss the magic meter.?
Only, in more recent Zleda games, I have notice that the magic meter has dissapeared alltogether.And I miss it. It made Zleda game easier ot identify with for me, in the sense that they couldnt always perform magic, they, like uhmans, were still limited. What about all of you Zelda fans?

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I certainly do. I also miss the magic spells from AoL and I would love to see it return. But I do not want it to be green in colour but white. Green makes me think of radiation and poison!

I never liked the magic meter in OoT, ALttP, or any other Zelda game. I thought it was kind of annoying that your actions are limited by that single bar, and I thought TP was much better without it.

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
I'd like to see it return ONLY if they make the game harder....if you had a difficulty system in OoT like....say....Metal Gear....and you playde in EXTREME.....you'd wish you had Nayru's Love.....but with the current difficulty level in the zelda games....magic is certainly not needed....
Honestly, how many of you did find the cape or the canes in ALttP useful?...or the magic powder?...or din's fire/nayru's love/farore's wind in OoT?......like I said the problem is difficulty....I think those are very good items/magic skills, but without the need to use them, what's the point of having them?

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I see what you are implying. And you have a good point. With one thing I will not agree though. The magic powder in Alttp, I found it useful a lot of times, cause if you use it on certain species of enemies faires will be "released" and that was nice in the later parts of the game!

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I never really used the magic. I think if it was integrated more into places where you had to use the magic in order to pass an obstacle, then it might be great to have back. I used some of the magic items in ALTTP, but the ones in OoT I don't think I used much at all. I think I tried one of them for fun just because I never used it, and wanted to see what it was like.

I think it would be great to try and add back in the spells of AoL. That's the only Zelda game where I really thought magic worked, and I think some of those spells could work again. 'Jump' would be a great one, instead of always having to use a hookshot to get to higher ground. It could be a temporary spell, just like in AoL where you could perform a leap straight up into the air to get to a higher platform that was otherwise unreachable.

P

Purse Snatcher

I never really used the magic. I think if it was integrated more into places where you had to use the magic in order to pass an obstacle, then it might be great to have back. I used some of the magic items in ALTTP, but the ones in OoT I don't think I used much at all. I think I tried one of them for fun just because I never used it, and wanted to see what it was like.

I think it would be great to try and add back in the spells of AoL. That's the only Zelda game where I really thought magic worked, and I think some of those spells could work again. 'Jump' would be a great one, instead of always having to use a hookshot to get to higher ground. It could be a temporary spell, just like in AoL where you could perform a leap straight up into the air to get to a higher platform that was otherwise unreachable.

I completely agree with bringing spells back to Zelda. We're kind of getting away from the mystical aspect of Zelda and more into a dependence of weapons. Yes, the weapons are completely necessary and important but that's all Link has now. Way too one dimensional in my opinion.

B

blackmoon

I think the ALttP system for magic was quite effective. I recently played through, and I've found many items extremely useful.

I did not know many enemies could be sprinkled with magic powder to release fairies. But I DO know I used the Fire Rod extensively in the Ice Palace, and kept an eye on my magic through Turtle Rock. Once I found that, by smashing frozen enemies with the hammer, you would often find more magic powder, I began using Ether and the Ice Rod heavily as well. Normally I don't use the Cane of Somaria as I find it so late in the game, but the Magic Cape is very useful for rushing past enemies when you're low on health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom