• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Magic Spells

What kind of magic spells would you like to see in new Zelda games? Personally I would like to see a full out magic bar again, and with many different kinds of spells, and more variety. I would like to see some of the spells from Zelda 2 again, like the thunder spell, and having that spell do damage to near by monsters. Also I would like the fairy spell a lot as well. I think it would be cool if you could fly up to secret areas in the dungeons and out in the over-world. But with this spell, they would have it so you used up all your magic so you couldn't always use this spell.

Shamison

Just a simple nobody
I would like to see a spell that turns enemies into weapons or explosives that damages their allies.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
While I don't really want to see Link become a fighter/mage (I've changed my mind on this), it would be cool to occasionally have a sidekick that has some magical abilities that can be used in support in combat or to solve puzzles.

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
I don't want to see magic be overuses.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, magic is awesome in, well, other video games. MMOs? Sure, magic all the way. Zelda? Well............ uh.... why?

Okay, that makes it sound like I hate the idea. I love the magic meter and what it is used for (Spin moves in OoT and MM? Sure, it teaches conservation. Lens of Truth? Yeah, you don't get to use it all of the time. Magic arrows? Those are great!). I love the spells in OoT too, but they, I think, should have been used more.

ANYWAY, in Zelda II, you are given several spells. ... Yes, he uses spells. But you have to keep in mind that Link has grown since then, as well as the enemies and the challenge in LoZ games. The story of Link is that he grows and becomes stronger, eventually gaining the Master Sword and defeating ____. A full-on Wizard of Time would sort of ruin that. Not only would we literally be able to sit back, not use our traditional Hero weapons, and slaughter enemies, but there would be less emphasis on the weak to strong and courageous Hero.

At least in my opinion.

Putting more magic in a game would lead to overuse, most likely, though Nintendo could work it out so that magic is only usable in certain situations, which I would be fine with.

Jiggly Jaws

Who is This Guy?
I actually like the series the most when it's not very magically heavy. I always found OoT had the Tolkien-like feel about it as far as magic was concerned. There were only a few magic users and the spells weren't that direct.

So I'm fine with a magic bar, but I don't prefer to see link throwing fireballs, or anything like that.

Last edited:
What with how 'plain' and 'boring' [3D] Links have become (for lack of better wording), I'd fine with just about anything Nintendo dished out. I really, really like the Zelda series and all, but I'd really like it if Link were a bit more 'flashy' with his abilities and such, and magic may be just the thing the next installment needs to provide this. Also, I agree with Curmudgeon and Sroa Link, I would neither want Link to become a full-blown mage (unless it were optional, lol) nor would I want magic to be overused—just a bit more integrated into Link's attacks and combos. Though the game could always apply penalties, restrictions, and/or steep skill curves to magic to prevent overuse.

On that note: I've personally been dying to see Link perform an aerial sword spin that kicks up a strong, spiraling gust.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I like this Idea. It would be grate to see a game with a more complex spell casting system then what we have seen in previous games. This would give the player more options in both combat and exploration and possibly even more creativity, but I do agree that it should not be overdone and turn Link into a magician. Although I don't think that it would turn out that way (link becoming primarily a magician). Some restrictions that could be in a game with heaver magic use could be things like the usage of the stamina and or magic meter, certain areas or objects in the environment could make it more dangerous to use magic or make using magic more changing and there could be enemies that are immune to (or less effected by) magic or certain forms of magic.
In future games spells could to improve items (as stated before). You could also use spells one in a similar way to mixing colors in order to generate new spells for example you could use a spell that has something to do with light along with a spell that warps things in order to become invisible. This makes sense because one way someone could become invisible would be to bend light around their body so that only things behind you are seen and not the person using the spell (this is just one possible spell combo). If they don't ever go this far which a doubt they will it would be cool too see more items that cast spells like the masks in MM or the canes seen in ALttP, MC, ALBW and otherwise, things like that.

Shamison

Just a simple nobody
Actually I take back what I said. I would rather see more abilities as you progress through the game instead of spells.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I think it is a bad idea, Link is a warrior, not a wizard. He uses magic items, but he shouldn't be able to use magic himself. Doesn't match with the style of the series in my opinion.

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
While I love the idea of having magic weapons and magic meter return, I don't think Link should cast spell other then small ones like in OoT. I would like it better if you could do side quests to unlock different ability like in Twilight Princess (But with real side quest, not just finding a statue by chance) and it also not being limited to just his sword moves.

However if their was to be magic spells that Link casts, I would like to see a complex system involving the damage output. Some enemy should be weak to certain kinds of spells, other resistant and some even get more powerful if you use a wrong spell on them. Like throwing a fireball at a fire based enemy would not only heal any damage he may have, but also increase his attack power.

Either way, as long as Nintendo puts some thought in it, I think it could bring more to combat, puzzles and maybe even bosses! I do not that Link should ever become a full out sorcerer, some magic yes, but not on the level of never needing a sword.

I think it is a bad idea, Link is a warrior, not a wizard. He uses magic items, but he shouldn't be able to use magic himself. Doesn't match with the style of the series in my opinion.

He could always just imbue his weapon/items with magic, which he often does anyhow; it's just, he barely uses it anymore (at least in 3D games). In my opinion, 3D Links seem to have become boring and stale magic-wise, while 2D Links have always, and continue to have, 'holder magic' (magic performed via weapons/items) available to them. It'd be nice to see the return of elemental arrows and such in the 3D games, and the ability to upgrade them would also be neat. Why is that when "magic spells" are mentioned, people instantly think fire ball or summoning? (lol) Where's your imagination?

Inferno Arrow, pls... :senpaipls:

My stance on magic is the same way I feel about Ganondorf's return. Yes, both the magic meter and Ganondorf as a villain were recycled far too many times in the past, but since it's been so long without them, I wouldn't mind seeing either reappear.

As for magic specifically, perhaps it could take a more defensive approach functioning as a shield or stun. I don't mind seeing an attack spell or two, but most of Link's items already fulfill this purpose. Also, some spells for getting around the overworld like a temporary levitation akin to the Deku Leaf's function in The Wind Waker would be appreciated.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
For the series: Yeah sure why not? It'd add variety to the gameplay (I loved spamming those medallions in ALttP, and the Fire Arrows were almost always on deck in OoT) and allow for unique solutions to problems, as well as opportunities for different solutions to the same problems (meaning you don't always have to do ONE THING to unlock the next area; instead of finding the key somewhere else in the dungeon you could blast the door off its hinges if you were skilled enough).

For me: I probably wouldn't use it all that much. If I can plan my strategies out ahead of time I get a little fancier in my tactics, but most of the time I just barge in and beat the crap outta things in a a mad bloodlust.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The magic metre is just a limiter in my opinion, which makes them very similar to the use of common items (arrows, bombs, lantern etc.). It's full potential was realised in Zelda II, and to a lesser extent, A Link to the Past. If Nintendo are just going to throw it in to have it as a limiter to elemental arrows then leave it; it might as well be ammo.

What we need it what this thread is alluding to: magical spells. Ocarina of Time touched on this somewhat, but it's never really been picked up. Leave the upgrades - they can be equipment based (Blue and Red Mail, Master Sword etc.). Let's have some sort of expansion on Din's Fire - an actual magic ability without the usage of a magical item. We could have a multitude of these, which would give a dynamic edge to combat.

I hate to reference Skyrim because it seems to rattle a few fan's feathers, but the combat in that game--even though quite stiff--was varied, which gave it a big sense of strategy. It wasn't just mash the weapon; you could manipulate magic and even duel wield - kids of gave me a throwback to Bioshock. Let's have Link utilise full magical spells, but don't make it compulsory - it just has to be an option in combat. Well actually it could be used in puzzles. Hmm yeah, this would also work within puzzles giving it some thought now. Get rid of the elemental items and such and make use of Link's pure magic ability. You could even expand on this and have an upgrading system: Level 1 > Level 2 > Level 3 etc. And if you really wanted, you could bring in some RPG aspects, but that is pushing it slightly.

Yes I'm all for this idea; there needs to be a greater emphasis on magic if it returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom